PDA

View Full Version : Just joined, wanted to say "Howdy".

Yoda1
01-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi ya all, I just joined a few minutes ago. Looking forward to talking a bit about building bikes, trikes, and irish mails. I've been building for about 8 or 9 years now. Primarily trikes for youngsters that have Down Syndrome, Autism, or older folks with balance problems. All in all I've probably built well over 100 bikes and trikes. Now, I'm going to give a shot at building an Irish Mail. Here's hoping that I can learn more about this great hobby.

Safe Rides,
Yoda1 :scooter:

KoolKat
01-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Hello and welcome to the AZ bike building family. Glad you found us. :sunny:

darnthedog
01-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Welcome to the fun zone but it sounds like you have already been having lots of fun without us. So can you post some picture of the bikes you have built? We love seeing pictures here. I'm in Gilbert so I'm a neighbor. Again Welcome.

Ticktock
01-30-2013, 04:46 AM
First, most important, Welcome from China!
Second, most puzziling, what is an Irish Mail????????????
Three things work on this forum---ask questions, give answers, and post pictures!
Still cannot think what an Irish mail is---any relation to an Irish femail?
Steve G,
Beijing

Petone_NZ
01-30-2013, 04:57 AM
Yoda1 - welcome along!

Still cannot think what an Irish mail is---any relation to an Irish femail?
Steve G,
Beijing

Steve - Google is your friend (although possibly not if your State We-Know-What's-Best-For-You Brigade say otherwise...)

http://www.mth.msu.edu/~drachman/cycle/irishmail.html

Regards, Neville

SirJoey
01-30-2013, 05:48 AM
Welcome to the Krew, master Yoda! :)

**** The Truth Is Out There! ****
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
(Geezer & Bent Enthusiast At Large)

Yoda1
01-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Welcome to the Krew, master Yoda! :)

Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to post some photos but I'm not sure it will work. Cross your fingers. That's what I do when I build something new.

darnthedog
01-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Some interesting rides indeed. Thank you for sharing.

SirJoey
01-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Awesome rides, dude! :punk:

I've been wanting to build one of those front-wheel-drive trikes like
yours for awhile, but I'm not sure how to go about that front end.

TexasTuff
01-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Hi Yoda1, welcome to the group
I've thought of your FWD design many times. Could you tell us about the handling characteristics of this design. Pedal steer, etc.
Thanks
George

graucho
01-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Hi Yoda1. welcome. Fine rides for sure. I want to put a electric motor on that tall fork bike and ride it all day. Come to think of it... i'd like to be down in the warmth of Gilbert AZ and ride "any" bike all day. Ha! Enjoy the forum.

Ticktock
01-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Big brother actually let me in on that one, funny because he would not let me watch Spinner making a seat!----so now I know what an Irish Mail is! learn something everyday.
Steve G,
Beijing

Yoda1
01-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Hi Yoda1, welcome to the group
I've thought of your FWD design many times. Could you tell us about the handling characteristics of this design. Pedal steer, etc.
Thanks
George

The handling of a FWD trike is similar to a RWD trike. The biggest exception is that you have to move closer to the pedals so that when turning the outside leg is able to stay on the pedal rather than drop off. It's just as fast, maybe a little faster in a straight line. Cornering is just like all of the deltas, kinda tipping at speed. Although, that could be remedied by lowering the seat and bringing the rear wheels up along side the seat.
Most of the trikes I build are for handicapped, so I don't worry too much about the speed in corners or overall speed. Pedal steer is there, but if the headtube angle is right the steering is self centering. It takes a bit of practice at first to learn how to pedal because when you push on the right pedal the trike will want to steer to the left and vise versa for the left pedal. By practicing a bit you learn how much pedal pressure is needed to propel you at the speed you'd want. This shifting of pedal pressure is controlled by the handlebars. When pushing on the right pedal you pull back on the right side of the handlebars. Like I said, it takes a bit of practice. :rolleyes4:

Safe Rides,
Yoda1 :scooter:

j92545@gmail
06-24-2013, 04:56 PM
MESSAGE...

Hi AZ,
Which design is best? the Warrior or the street fox. I want it for general road riding: i am 6' 2" tall, a big 260lbs, & 49 years old, not an experienced rider, I may enter a bike race/ride soon, & I may turn it into an electric vehicle too.

Please help I can only build one this summer. Also are there any restrictions to selling it after I built it with your plans??

Thanks

John Bragg

darnthedog
06-24-2013, 05:23 PM
MESSAGE...

Hi AZ,
Which design is best? the Warrior or the street fox. I want it for general road riding: i am 6' 2" tall, a big 260lbs, & 49 years old, not an experienced rider, I may enter a bike race/ride soon, & I may turn it into an electric vehicle too.

Please help I can only build one this summer. Also are there any restrictions to selling it after I built it with your plans??

Thanks

John Bragg
Asking which is better is like asking if we use PC or MAC.
Each has its own merits and issues. Some examples of differences:
Streetfox / Warrior
Rim brakes/ Disc brakes
Direct steer/Underseat steering
Suspended /Hard tailed
14mm axle/20mm axle

The Streetfox is an older design and the Warrior is a newer design. Both can be modified to handle a hub motor should you desire it. The warrior appears to have a sportier feel due to the under seat steering. Where as the suspension may give a smoother ride. Their are a few example in the gallery of combined Streetfox and warrior. You build the trikes to fit your frame so as a taller person you will adjust your boom length to accomidate yourself. And these are made of steel so 260lbs should be fine for either trike. As to selling it the FAQ section says yes. My suggestion is if the 6 pack plans is still available, grab both plans and review them for yourself. The long ranger can give you advice for electrifying your trike should you decide to. Welcome to the group. Hope this helped.

j92545@gmail
06-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Yes your comments are helpfull.. I will be a warrior :)

Ticktock
06-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Hi Warrior John, Welcome from China!
Sounds like you have a good idea what you want. Just share pics of what you do, good or bad, as either one helps every one (we don't make the same mistake you just made!)
That works two ways--you don't make the mistake I just made!
Have fun.
Steve G,
Beijing