PDA

View Full Version : I had chocolate cake for breakfast!

TexasTuff
03-17-2013, 10:39 AM
This past Friday I had a heart cath and a stent placed in my heart. I urge each of you to get a checkup. I don't care how good of condition you think you are in, you never know about your heart or arteries. 26 years ago I had 5 way bypass when I was in the best shape of my life. At that time I rode 150 miles a week and was in the gym 3 or 4 times a week. Get a checkup.
I wrote a bit about the procedure on my blog. (http://texasrecumbents.wordpress.com/2013/03/16/i-had-chocolate-cake-for-breakfast-today/)
I had chocolate cake for breakfast.

Radical Brad
03-17-2013, 12:34 PM
I agree, you never know what is under the hood sometimes. For this reason, I pretend the world is a new adventure every day.

brad

trikedoc
03-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Your a lucky man in spades. Most doctors will tell you bypass are good for 10 years. As to the heart cath. My dad had his first heart attack at 58 (high stress management position at IBM) after his 4th. at 72 they kept him in the hospital until he agreed to let them do a heart cath. They stroked him on the table. Lost everything on his right side. his dominant side. got somethings back but I never again saw his beautiful flowing cursive handwriting.

SirJoey
03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Dang, Tex, that's MAJOR! :eek:
Glad you're still with us!

Prayer sent up for your speedy & complete recovery! :)

**** The Truth Is Out There! ****
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
(Geezer & Bent Enthusiast At Large)

edspedalcars
03-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi 'Tuff" , if I may. You are so right about doing the checkup thing. I had mine about a year ago. All I felt was a flutter now and then, no discomfort, but made me nervous. Lucky for me, so far, there's nothing to worry about. However the doc said get a handle on the cholesterol, and I ignored his advice the first time. Went back to see him again and the numbers had skyrocketed. Now I'm on med's and have my appointment in June, plastered in BIG PRINT on the front page of my tablet. Take care, Ed. ---P.S. My wife is in Lufkin seeing her sister, is that anywhere near you?

graucho
03-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Great advise. I just started reading your blog. Glad you caught it in time. Id hate not seeing your posts.

TexasTuff
03-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Take care, Ed. ---P.S. My wife is in Lufkin seeing her sister, is that anywhere near you?
Hi Ed, good luck with your battle against cholesterol. Make it a priority in life.
Yes, Lufkin is just down the road from me. Canton/Edgewood, where I live is noted as East Texas and Lufkin is in Deep East Texas. It's about a 2 hour drive away, 121 miles. The longer I live here I feel nothing is close. A trip to Home Depot is a 60 mile round trip, go to the doctor and it is 100 mile round trip. When I lived in Dallas the whole world was no more than 5 miles away.

TexasTuff
03-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Your a lucky man in spades. Most doctors will tell you bypass are good for 10 years. As to the heart cath. My dad had his first heart attack at 58 (high stress management position at IBM) after his 4th. at 72 they kept him in the hospital until he agreed to let them do a heart cath. They stroked him on the table. Lost everything on his right side. his dominant side. got somethings back but I never again saw his beautiful flowing cursive handwriting.
Sorry about you dad trikedoc. I know I've been very lucky with my treatments over the 37 year span since my first heart attack and I'm grateful that I can continue to live a very active lifestyle. For all of us, life is short. Make each day your best.

SirJoey
03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
My last Dr visit, she told me my chol was a little high too, so they're gonna
do bloodwork again this coming Monday. Being mildly needle-phobic, I dread it.

TexasTuff
03-18-2013, 11:01 PM
I understand SJ. In the post I made on my blog I made fun of a lot of things about last Friday but the one thing I dread each time I go to the hospital is getting the IV started. I've had some very bad experiences with nurses starting IV's. I'm known as a "hard stick" but I never tell them that or they get as nervous as me.

edspedalcars
03-19-2013, 12:42 AM
Your not alone on the IV thing, it's not easy for me either, but then again I'm not "Texas Tuff"!!

SirJoey
03-19-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm known as a "hard stick"....
I've been told (by an UNSKILLED nurse) that I had "rolling veins". :rolleyes:

I once had some (apparently rookie) nurse stick me once, she couldn't hit it, pulled the needle out, stuck me again, couldn't hit it, then, with the needle still in my arm, she started wiggling it back & forth, actually CHASING the vein! :eek:

The problem was obvious to me. She was trying to go straight down on it, perpendicular to the vein, instead of at a shallow angle. When she finally gave up on chasing the vein back & forth, she pulled the needle out & was gonna try it a THIRD time, when I put a stop to it. I politely told her to go get another nurse. She obliged me, & the obviously more experienced nurse did it correctly, hitting the vein first time, no problem. :sweatdrop:

This is only one of MANY traumatic needle experiences I've had, another of which was receiving 7 rabies shots in the stomach as a kid, but that's another story. :rolleyes:

Locutus
03-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Chocolate cake for breakfast...
Reminds me of a great Bill Cosby routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuamlBQ2aW4

Harmonysafe
09-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Hello Everyone,
Eating cookies or chocolate as part of breakfast that includes proteins and carbs also helps stem the craving for sweets later.

MrIdaho
09-29-2013, 02:05 PM
It also makes for better welds as you can really get into the welding mode LOL