PDA

View Full Version : Cost of warrior build

nemo
04-22-2013, 10:45 PM
I thought I would start a thread for people to post about how much their warriors cost, and the best ways to save money, and even where to buy cheap parts. So I guess I'll start it off and see how it goes. So far I'm up to roughly $430. New parts: steel-$25, disc brakes and wheels-$200 from terratrike.com, chain-$30 for 12' at terratrike.com. The rest were used parts from kids bikes and a mountain bike from thrift stores, totally about $175. I priced out having wheels rebuilt and it was cheaper to buy from terratrike.com. Also that was the cheapest I could find for chain and disc brakes, new of course.

darnthedog
04-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Nemo- the warrior is one of the more expensive builds on this site because of the front wheel configuration. However others have built their own wheels and others have used alternative methods by using rim brakes as was done on the Streetfox. Others have use BMX wheels from donors without the heavier axle and create adapters to mount disc brake from donors. There is no average cost because it truly depends on the availability of the builder to scrounge around to all sources for parts. There is also the pocket book factor. Some folks have deeper pocket books to afford newer parts, your $430 doesn't cover the cost of my rear wheel for example. But then I have a speed goal. Same basic plans as yours but I have a personal goal. I sorry you believe you could buy for what you spent but there is no comparison to your build and what you could buy. Yours was built for you and out of the joy you get from sharing. I have tried a few of the store bought recumbents. And while they are nice. I would not be as satisfied as I will be with the bike I've built. Just something to think on.

Radical Brad
04-23-2013, 09:25 AM
I put under $250 into the one shown in the plans. Front wheels and brakes are new, most of the other bits taken from other used bikes.

Brad

Tradetek
04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Did you really spend $175 for donor bikes?

If so you really need to check out freecycle.org

Bill

Marki
04-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Nemo mine cost way more than that but it was mostly to do with the front wheels. I had to import the hubs from the US and paid just about the same as the price of the hubs in freight costs and tax. You can get 20mm hubs here (Australia) but only in 32 hole which is a PITA as locally you cannot buy 32 hole 20" rims, only 36 hole rims are available in that size. I chose the lesser of the two evils (rims are big thus cost more in freight) and imported the hubs. Once the hubs got here I had to buy rims and spokes which cost a small fortune($2.20 per spoke x 72) then get someone to lace them up for me. Add the rotors and callipers and I easily spent in excess of $700 just on the front wheels alone. The rest was cheap with steel costing about $30, and gear shifters/brake levers, detailers about $100 and I had the rear wheel and cassette as well as the bottom bracket and crank set lying around unemployed so they cost nothing. With paint, seat and all the other bits including pulleys ect I made myself I would estimate my total cost at about $950. I only used donor head tubes/forks/bearings and the handlebar clamp from old bikes I scrounged during a bulk rubbish disposal in my neighbourhood, otherwise all parts are new. I will be fitting a e kit to the trike this week which cost a further $900 so my all up cost will be around $1850. Sounds like a lot but to buy a commercially made equivalent with pedal assist e kit here the starting price (currently on sale price) is $5500 so I saved $3650 plus the added bonus of riding my own trike that I built from scratch which is priceless. I very much doubt you will find and average price especially when you consider the geographic locations of many members on this forum. Mark

nemo
04-23-2013, 04:42 PM
well no, some was put into things I tried that didn't work. that was just misc. stuff like the seat and foam and tubs for the chain. I'll check out freecycle for sure though. thanks!

Did you really spend $175 for donor bikes?

If so you really need to check out freecycle.org

Bill

nemo
04-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Marki, thats insane how much it cost for wheels... did you buy high pressure tires too? you could probably get terratrike.com to ship wheels to you there for a lot less... or I'll order some for you and ship them to you if you ever need more haha. Thats very interesting knowing what others are paying around the world! I just wanted to start a thread to give new people (like myself) a good idea of what they're getting into and how to save on it.

thewimreaper
08-03-2013, 05:41 AM
i'm trying keep extremely low budget(i've always done this with my motorcycle builds)

and i'm at €30 euro right now so thats about 39 usd

it involves a lot of scavaging but i was looking for bobber parts anyway :)

i want to keep it under € 100 the only things i need are a dual brake handle and new tires

thewimreaper
08-08-2013, 03:09 AM
I'm up to 80 now and the last items on the list are pulleys
Cost 20 bucks wich really bothers me because I just realised I don't have enough paint for the entire bike

HHJJ
08-08-2013, 03:54 AM
Not building a Warrior but a voyager.
Was aiming to complete the build for less than £300 tops.....but have already spent about £200 on tools (didn't have welder or angle grinder or vice or.....but had most but not all bicyle tools needed already) and consumables (welding rods, grinding disks, cutting disks and flap disks).
£85 on 3 donor bikes.
£36 for 20ft of box tube £8 for steering rod tube.
£10 spray paint. (had a tin of primer in the house already)
Still got to get rod ends, pulleys, handlebar and other bits and bats.
Am still pondering on how to make the seat cheaply without a tube bender.

So I'm not going to be making my target am I......just going to have to make two aren't I.
Since I've got most of the tools, steel and bike parts I need already to make another one I should be able to make to at < £300 a piece including all the tools and consumables.

Cashew
08-08-2013, 07:25 AM
I'm still knee deep in the build, but keeping track track of time and dollars. Target was $300-$400, Still a couple more things to acquire so not yet adding it up. I figure I'll measure what's left of the metal that is not being used and deduct it from the cost. I should hit my target.
Cashew

czob
08-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Just wondering how much the steel should cost for the frame. Quotes are varying???

czob
08-08-2013, 11:28 AM
That would be in the USA. Just so I know if I am getting a square deal.

darnthedog
08-08-2013, 12:14 PM
That would be in the USA. Just so I know if I am getting a square deal.
I don't recall if my 20 ft length was $20 or $40. But in that range would be correct. If you find a source from recycling centers you might get enough cut offs to get it for less by buying by the pound. But I bought new from a company that supplies steel for metal fencing which is very popular for security fencing with businesses. The 20 foot length might build 2 of them if your carefull with the cuts. But buying by the foot can increase overall cost by 4X because metal suppliers don't like having cut offs. They did provide a single cut in half at no charge for me to make transport easier. But that varies from company to company.

czob
08-09-2013, 06:13 AM
Thanks, darnthedog!

Ticktock
08-09-2013, 07:21 AM
That sounds like a bit of "creative accounting"! Technically correct when you find a use for the left overs, but until then it really should be counted in the cost.
Of course, if you clearly intend to build another bike, then this left over cost does truly qualify to be part of the cost if the intended second build!
Which leaves you with only the materials actually used to be counted in the first build!
And as all Zombies can't stop at one build, or one more build, you can forget all that I have just said.
Actually, I don't keep track of cost, then when the wife asks what it cost I can really say that I don't know--too hard to work it out, Got away with it so far.
Lucky she can read English as well I read Chinese, or I would be in real trouble!
Steve G,
Beijing

Cashew
08-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Of course it's creative accounting. But it would be not what I spent overall, it's what was used for that build. I know other projects will follow, actually the spin cycle was started along time ago and it's parts are peeking out of a box keeping an eye on the current project. I started with a stick welder and switched to a mig which is so much easier. Now that I feel comfortable with welding, will strike a few rods to see how I do. My wife has been really cool during all of this, she's impressed that I've kept going even if it's not be ridden yet.
Cashew

Ticktock
08-11-2013, 10:08 AM
At the end of the day, when you blast down the road on your bike--there is no price--even if you do sell it later !
Any accounting is creative in this game--we use what we have, buy some, get given some, find some--and will never know the real cost--unless you decide to start a business doing this--then it hits home as to the cost because time starts to count!
Just have fun, enjoy the ride. And it can turn around--the new skills can earn you money in the future--no price on that one
Steve G

HHJJ
08-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Added another £18 (6mts 32x32x1.5mm box tube) and £21 (20 cutting discs and 12 flap discs).
Just need another donor bike or two and stuff for steering and I've got enough stuff for 3 or four assorted bikes......

HHJJ
08-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Well I'm definitely going to have to make a couple of spare ones to sell now....just sprung for a gas/no gas MIG welder and associated bits and bats.