PDA

View Full Version : Source for bulk rolls of brake and derailer cable?

Evox_Rider
04-22-2013, 11:49 PM
I have looked at several sites that offer boxes of cable, but they all seem to be just cut to a certain length. There must be a way to just buy a spool of cabling that you can cut off what you need and put an end on it. Also the same for the housing. I am probably just not looking in right areas or something but if somebody could point out a site or two that is either in Canada or ships to here would really appreciate it.

Tradetek
04-23-2013, 12:28 AM
I've been keeping my eye out for the same thing down here in the states and have not seen anything myself yet either.

Bill

dmac257
04-23-2013, 04:05 AM
Jenson

http://www.jensonusa.com/Jagwire-Brake-Housing-Box50M

hope that helps

dmac257

Evox_Rider
04-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Seems to be easier to find bulk rolls of the cable housing, but not so much the actual cable. Although you did find just the rolls of cable, would then have to get a lead mold of the cable end piece that goes into the levers. Not much different than those lead molds you get for fishing lure weights etc.

Radical Brad
04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
We intend to add super long cables and chains to our parts inventory in the future. These will be great for LWB bents and tandems.
I can't give an exact date though, as it depends on how the other parts sell. We can only carry so much inventory at a time.

Brad

Ticktock
04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Hey Guys,
Even here in the back woods of China I can buy bulk off the reel for cable at the local bike shop.
If one can't supply, try the next.
Seems you guys are too hooked on Ebay etc, to look local.
Steve G.\
Beijing

Evox_Rider
04-23-2013, 01:42 PM
I was thinking that it would be less waste of cable if you could just peel off as much as you need for a particular design, put the ends on it as needed. Even the boxes Ive seen on some sites are just precut lengths, so you be wasting cable when trimming to size.

Ticktock
04-23-2013, 01:50 PM
I just said the local bike shop---try them before you try on line. On line will only get you pre- packaged stuff that they think you need .
Steve G,
Beijing

bambuko
04-23-2013, 01:50 PM
You can easily buy outer in bulk, but afaik it's not so common for inner cable?

this thread (http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=21321) might be useful for someone considering making their own cables...

Evox_Rider
04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
That a great link! Unfortunately, still have the issue of getting the brake and shifter cable in bulk spools tho..

Evox_Rider
04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Ticktock, just trying to find a supply of materials that wouldn't have the added mark up of a bike shop if possible.

Ticktock
04-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Where are you?
You cannot get more remote than China (well not that easy)
Either in bulk is no problem.
Specific lengths , longer than normal, then answer is NO, but buy bulk should be easy.
Steve G

Ticktock
04-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Hi ERvox rider,
This reply slipped in without me seeing it first time--blame the Beijing beer.
It has to be cheaper at the local bike shop! I have no problem with bulk buy on inner or outer cable here. But if I ask for 3.777567 meters, I get told NO. As for for "off the reel"---no problem, and fit my own ends.
Steve G

trikedoc
04-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Hey Guys,
Even here in the back woods of China I can buy bulk off the reel for cable at the local bike shop.
If one can't supply, try the next.
Seems you guys are too hooked on Ebay etc, to look local.
Steve G.\
Beijing

Steve, Where you are I would guess there a lot of bike shops. competition keeps prices down. In my local area pop 400,000 there 6 bike shops. The shop closest to me (2 miles) has by far the highest prices. Its 24 miles one way to the shop with the best prices.
Due you use different housings for brake and shifting? I think they call it Liner housing for shifting that doesn't compress?
Al

Ibedayank
04-24-2013, 02:18 AM
I found some now to find the ends i need.
But where I get it from you need a Tax number

Tradetek
04-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Ibedayank, do you have a business with a Tax ID?

Also can you post a link for the company, I'm thinking of starting an LLC for some other stuff I'm dealing with in which case I'll end up getting one.

Thanks,

Bill

Ticktock
04-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Hi Trikedoc,
You are rioght, just a few shops here. If I drew a one mile circle round home, I have no idea how many there are. Some are Ebike, others just bikes, and one "competition " shop. And his prices are not bad, strangly enough. I know off hand of six shops in that circle, and five street side mechanics, and that is nowhere near a full list.
I use the same outer housing for both jobs, unless I can find a pack that has the right lengths in it. Only happened once.
Not sure if I can get shifter housing in bulk, as I have never asked, and it's never been offered.
Im have a 25K ride to get steel.
By the way, poulation here in Beijing is around 23million--the same as the whole of Australia! So I guess we need a few more shops.

Steve G

trikedoc
04-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi Trikedoc,
You are rioght, just a few shops here. If I drew a one mile circle round home, I have no idea how many there are. Some are Ebike, others just bikes, and one "competition " shop. And his prices are not bad, strangly enough. I know off hand of six shops in that circle, and five street side mechanics, and that is nowhere near a full list.
I use the same outer housing for both jobs, unless I can find a pack that has the right lengths in it. Only happened once.
Not sure if I can get shifter housing in bulk, as I have never asked, and it's never been offered.
Im have a 25K ride to get steel.
By the way, poulation here in Beijing is around 23million--the same as the whole of Australia! So I guess we need a few more shops.

Steve G

Steve, Have you lived there long enough to notice the shift to fewer bikes to more cars? Even if what I have seen about the 50 percent decline in bikes in the last 15 years in Beijing were true. That still means many millions needing repair or replacement.
They seem very adept at hauling huge load on there two wheelers. Are there cargo bikes, load hauler trikes? I know you mentioned pedal cabs.
Al

sandman
04-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Hi ERvox rider,
This reply slipped in without me seeing it first time--blame the Beijing beer.
It has to be cheaper at the local bike shop! I have no problem with bulk buy on inner or outer cable here. But if I ask for 3.777567 meters, I get told NO. As for for "off the reel"---no problem, and fit my own ends.
Steve G
Hi Steve,
I think the problem may be your not giving a working tolerance to cut to why not say plus or minus 5 microns at 20C , you may get a YES but I suspect the answer will still be the same :cheesy:
regards
John

graucho
04-24-2013, 06:31 PM
My local bike shops sell in bulk. But I've ordered these from Allen from choppersus 3 times.

Outer cable in bulk, a few different colors. Inner cable up to 105 inches.

http://www.choppersus.com/store/category/7/41/Cables/

trikedoc
04-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Just stopped at another bike shop that been open about a year. 81" stainless (2050 mm) with end. $5.00 Gray Shimano plastic lined housing $1.50 per/ft

Al
PS. The owner is big into downhill. Carbon fiber frame 29" wheels, 200+mm hydraulic disc brakes, 8" suspension travel front and rear, 40/28 crankset cant remember the cog set. Had to cost more than my truck.

Ibedayank
04-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Tradetek

what I have is actually bulk Motorcycle throttle cable
it is the same size as bicycle brake cable
and yes I have a tax ID as I order parts through work

Ticktock
04-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Sand man,
I think hehad trouble with the last 0.000067 with his tape measure! But you have raised a good point about temperature--we should now start looking for temperature compensated brake and shifter cable, then we won't have to adjust as often!
Ibedayank,
Yes MC throttle cable was always the last reort when we needed longer cables.
Trikedoc,
I can't say I have noticed fewer bikes, because there are thousands of them. I have noticed more cars, and I have noticed the same trend as in Australia, towards unneeded four wheel drives in the city. Only here, they are xxxx expensive, and the owner thinks he has a better rickshaw, and thinks he owns the whole road. And if its black, just sit back and laugh at the stupidity and bad manners. I am amazed there are not more accidents .
In peak hour traffic I can beat a Taxi over 5k any time on either the trike or LWB .
Cargo bikes do not exist as such. But over loaded, or cleverly loaded solo bikes are every day things. Best safe load is six light truck tires on the back of a normal bike. Best load on a bike so far is a fridge, and it was being ridden.
Best on an Ebike was a fridge and a TV set.(thats posted some where on the forum)Best on scooter was an 8foot roller door laid acroos the foot space and steadied with the legs (did I mention the phone use at the same time?)
Most cargo is carried on trikes, peddle, but with E assist. Reason is simple--it works---they peddle into shops, into shpping centers, into lifts, where you could never take even a small ute from our world.
In Wuhan, a large percentage of final deliveries are done by hand, (or by shoulders, with a bamboo stick) because even a trike can't get into some places'
Its amazing what can be done without the gas guzzling moters we put on eveything--and usually quicker and easier too.
Again in Wuhan, bicycle side cars were common, but quite rare in Beijing.
As to needing repair--thats a different number compared to the ones that actually get repaired.
When I first got here, friends back in Australia kept asking what I noticed the most- answer--Long black hair and rusty bike chains.
Guess that makes me a normal male engineer!
Steve G