PDA

View Full Version : DIY gear changer?

MrIdaho
04-25-2013, 10:17 PM
I know there are electronic gear selectors but my bank account dosen't go that high.
Am pondering idea of a DIY electronic gear selector using a servo motor and ridged linkage> Cable would work and might be easier but it will stretch?
Using a micro-controller with the servo sounds easy enough. A servo controller program for the micro - controller can be written with some ease.
Even perhaps uing same but for electronic steering? Would sure cut down on weight.
any input on idea if viable or not?

darnthedog
04-25-2013, 11:53 PM
In all honest by the time you have a battery big enough to provided the constant power and torque to switch the gears you probably will be the same weight as the cabling system. With more likely failure when you ride past a policeman firing off his radar gun. But that is just my thoughts and you are free to prove me wrong. With our use the cabling should last quite a while if it is taken care of.

charlie_r
04-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Here is a guy on Instructables that has been working on what I think you are asking about:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Electronic-Derailleur/

Charlie

Ticktock
04-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Can'T see where you will save weight overall. Battery, wiring, switch gear, servos, linkages could easily out weigh a simple cable and shiftef.
Plus a total loss in relabilty and roadside fixability. No fun when you have the only ciruit board in the world and it stops working 25 miles from home!
with a regular check and oil a cable system will last a long time, and need relatively little maintainance. Of course the cables will stretch--thats what adjusteres are for.
Can never see the point in complicating things when there is no gain and many losses.
Steve G
Beijing

Evox_Rider
05-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Can never see the point in complicating things when there is no gain and many losses.

Like many things we Zombies do...for the 'cool' factor! When you are already thinking outside the box on the design of your rides, sky is the limit on the various cool things you can try to incorporate into it...just because you can.
I was looking at my sketches of my own version of a recumbent and was thinking 'what other cool thing could I dream up for it...what about electronic shifting!' Well, I thought I had this great idea until I Googled it...lol...of course already been done! Then I thought there was sure to be many threads on our site here about somebody tackling this problem and building it from scratch, or maybe it would better be suited on the other Zombie site since it was more of an electronics build...if not it sure sounds like it would be a cool project to do.

Ticktock
05-24-2013, 09:03 PM
The first time they got a motor to run on an electronic injection system, the comment was " we have just made a $100 replacement for a $10 carburettor!"
Now its cheaper to fit electronic injection than it is to make a carbie! So the mad experiments do pay off, but I won't use them on a bike that has to go somewhere everyday!
Steve G

darnthedog
05-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Recently I read that Nuvinci now has an electronic shifter that allows you to set a cadence of pedaling. So say you set it for 30 rpm. It will shift up or down based how fast your pedaling in order to maintain the set rpm. They also make one that work with a motor. Very cool stuff at a price.

Ticktock
05-25-2013, 09:53 AM
The marvels of modern science--and the science of extracting money from the pocket.
How did we ever manage with a three speed hub when we had to decide when to change?
How did we ever manage without a cycle computer to tell us how fast we were going ----I know the answer to that one!!! The local Motorcycle Cop always stopped me and told me!
Steve G