PDA

View Full Version : Threaded hub

Mark Johnson
05-04-2013, 10:55 PM
My hub of my bike is not threaded.
I was looking for something like a discbrake on it and saw the FreeWheel adapters.
But they need a threaded part which i don't have.

Is there a way to make a adapter you can screw on the axle or will this not work ?
Guess i have to get a new hub right ?

darnthedog
05-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Mark this has been discuss before so I am directing you to that information. See: http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/3917-Disk-brake-adapters

Not sure what your intent is. But the freewheel adapter can only go one one direct because they will unscrew if place on wrong side. However the link I provided was a method developed by Pete_T and Written up by Savarin.

This is not a put down or anything. It is only to show you where the information is. I have been here a while and read a lot. There is tons of information here and sometimes gets lost in the ages. I cannot even begin quest how big it all is. However the Forum only displays the last ten days of subjects unless you open it up. I usually open it up to the beginning just to see if there is an interesting subject to look at. However be aware that every thread gets a date. It is in the Grey bar above each post. If it is over a year old it means the original poster got their answer or they left the forum. Anyway feel free to ask questions if you don't understand. Your hub can be used as is. The disc in disc brakes are mounted to the hub and not the axle as the axle is usually fixed to the frame and does not spin. Hope that helps in you endeavor. Welcome to the group and please post pictures as well. A picture is worth a million words especially when your asking questions about your project. And they are the universal language on this planet of ours. Anyway I hope that help you.

Ticktock
05-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Now is a good time to ask for all the information!!!
Is this a front or rear hub?
If front, it will not have provision for fitting a freewheel.
If it is a rear hub, it will have three choices (usually) in the way it is driven.
One screw thread for a screw on freewheel, meant to go on the right side, or two screw threads, one each side, meant so you can fit a fixed sprocket one side and a freewheel ther other side, and thus just reverse the wheel to change between single speed freewheel and single speed fixed. And last, no screw threads, but a splined section meant to take a slide on Cassette.'
With the secong option there is no way to fit a disc brake. You have to be very careful about screwing on brake parts, as they can unscrew quicker than you can put them on!
So next question is, what do you really want to do?
It's just guesswork on our part unless we know all the facts.
Steve G

Tradetek
05-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Sure you can get a cassette rear hub with disc brake mounts... the brake mounts on the non-drive side of the hub.

Also, for the hubs with threads on both sides, while there may be a version that fits a multi-speed gear cluster on one side, and a fixed speed freewheel on the other, most of the "flip-flop" hubs are for using two different single speed cassettes on each side so that the rider can quickly change from one gear ratio to another without having to switch wheels.

Note to Mark, I'm not aware of any adapters to add a disc brake to rear cassette style hub.

Bill

Mark Johnson
05-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Mark this has been discuss before so I am directing you to that information. See: http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/3917-Disk-brake-adapters

Not sure what your intent is. But the freewheel adapter can only go one one direct because they will unscrew if place on wrong side. However the link I provided was a method developed by Pete_T and Written up by Savarin.

This is not a put down or anything. It is only to show you where the information is. I have been here a while and read a lot. There is tons of information here and sometimes gets lost in the ages. I cannot even begin quest how big it all is. However the Forum only displays the last ten days of subjects unless you open it up. I usually open it up to the beginning just to see if there is an interesting subject to look at. However be aware that every thread gets a date. It is in the Grey bar above each post. If it is over a year old it means the original poster got their answer or they left the forum. Anyway feel free to ask questions if you don't understand. Your hub can be used as is. The disc in disc brakes are mounted to the hub and not the axle as the axle is usually fixed to the frame and does not spin. Hope that helps in you endeavor. Welcome to the group and please post pictures as well. A picture is worth a million words especially when your asking questions about your project. And they are the universal language on this planet of ours. Anyway I hope that help you.

thank you for the link.
so basicly i should bolt the adapter onto my hub ?
At least what i am understanding from it.

EDIT.
My bad.
Just saw you basicly need 3 pieces and 1 of them needs to be cut in half to go around your hub.
than 2 plates on the other side and bolt them together.
so basicly you are sandwiching your spokes/hub there.

Also why does the image shows he made like 4 rings ?
3 normal and 1 cut in half.
Is that to get a nice thick piece ?

darnthedog
05-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Also why does the image shows he made like 4 rings ?
3 normal and 1 cut in half.
Is that to get a nice thick piece ?

I believe there were 2 different thickness of shims. One is thicker than the other in order to ensure proper placement. This is a home made adapter and if I read the thread properly the first one was too thick and had the disc in the wrong position. This adapter is clamped to the spokes not to the hub. It is screwed together over the spokes. But I believe the thread has all the information I know. Peter T and Saravin are the folks who built theses. I read and was impressed enough to pass on the information when you asked.