PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Want-a-be Zombie

Revuaf
05-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Hello, To to the site, but not new to cycling...
Newbie to building a Zombie bike... Totally lost...as I wonder through the forms brain dead.
I ride a Rams Stratus XP... LOVE IT! :punk:
Looking for an up coming winter project.... and searching for a donor bike... (other then the Rans LOL!)
Thinking of building the spirit and/or a trike...:wheelchair: or both.
Well back to the forms for more reading....

Tradetek
05-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Welcome and make sure to check out freecycle.org for donors.

Make a wanted post each month asking for "broken bikes" and you sure to get some free bikes over the next couple of months.

Bill

Revuaf
05-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks Tradetek good info...

Ticktock
05-10-2013, 12:56 PM
WElcome from China!
You are in the right place to start doing mad things with bikes and trikes.
Have fun, ask questions, answer questions, and share pics are the main guide lines here.
Steve G,
beijing

Radical Brad
05-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Greets!
You will only be a noob until the first bike rolls down your driveway.

Brad

socialtalker
05-11-2013, 12:23 AM
uh ooh!

"You will only be a noob until the first bike rolls down your driveway."

Revuaf
05-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Thanks.... Brad... ahhh I think... LOL! I have to wait for until what looks like next summer to be a want-a-be Zombie....? Can I have my half zombie card? Since I due own a recumbent, and I have been told in the past I am half brain dead? ROTFL!

I have been getting some good laughs out of your videos... Not may have the awesome view out there non windowed shops.. or have natural guard dog.... I mean BEARs...
looking forward to trying my hand at building...

Revuaf
05-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Thank you Steve from .... WOW? China...... neat.

darnthedog
05-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Welcome to the group from Arizona- when you do start building be sure to take pictures along the way- we love watching a build come together. And a picture is worth a million words when you have a question. As to when you get that Zombie card- just build something- maybe a cart to tow or a stand to hold up the Rans. And in the mean time read the different threads on which ever plans you have a fancy for.

SirJoey
05-12-2013, 07:36 AM
From SC, welcome to the Krew, Revuaf!

My very first bent was a Rans Stratus, purchased back in 1985, but back then, there was no "XP".
Back then, Rans was a young company, & only had 2 models, the Stratus & the Nimbus. :)

**** The Truth Is Out There! ****
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
(Geezer & Bent Enthusiast At Large)

One three
07-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Just dropped in to say hello and that I am a new guy and need a little help... I have started on the phat gladiator and I choose to use a 15x5 rim... Any idea where I can get a tube to fit this???

Ticktock
07-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Hi from China!
Best to start a new thread with that question, and you can do your introduction on the new thread--keeps it all neat and nearly tidy.
At the moment the best qualified person to deal with your question is Ed (Edspedalcars) . I'm sure he won't be able to resist an answer to this one! You may well find the answer on his "donut" thread.
In the mean time, don't paint the rim until you get the tube---you may need to drill a new valve hole! Also, remember that tubes do stretch quite a long way.
Have fun,
Steve G,
Beijing

One three
07-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Well I have picked up some rims finally... I was looking for some15x7's but all I could find was15x5's. and now I have ran into a snag.... Lol, where on earth am I going to find tubes for a 15x5 tire??? I am building the phat gladiator trike for my grandson and its for his birthday in sept.... Oh I was able to pick up those rims in mint condition for only 10 bucks!!!! What a steal!!!!

Ticktock
07-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Ask Ed --edspedalcars --if he can help. It will be a motorcycle tube that you finish up, with, and you will need to drill a new hole for the center line valve. Best to ask Ed how you inflate it, as I have not done this. As I said before--tubes stretch ---a lot!
Steve G,
Beijing

One three
07-26-2013, 07:38 PM
There is something I have been wondering about???? I am confused about conduit... How is it possible that you can weld to it??? I thought it was a galvanized metal... And I have priced some metal and if I'm even close to the cost its going to cost about 300 American dollars... So is the conduit lighter and more structurally sound?????

darnthedog
07-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Hello One three-
Galvanized Steel is mild steel with a Zinc coating. The Zinc burns off when welding but you want to avoid the fumes as much as you can because they can give what they call welders flu if you inhale it often. The resultant fume are Zinc Oxide which is in many items such as sun block. Some folks clean it off with pool acid before welding to avoid the fumes. As to Lighter and more structurally sound is not necessarily true statement. It is all in the gauge thickness of the tubing your using. If you use too thin a material it will fold up or flex while riding messing with the handling. Also in using Brad's plans he uses square tubing to make attachment easier for new builders. But he has used some electrical conduit for choppers I believe. As to Steel cost I'm not sure where you are looking. But you want a steel retailer that sells length of Square tubing. I bought a 20 foot length for $20 each and was able to get it split in two for free. Made hauling with my van easier. The retailer I used sell to steel fence makers and steel security doors. But I have several distributors. Some of them advertise as metal reclamation centers. Another source you may want to check for square tubing is your welding equipment supplier or welding gas supplier. They may be able to direct you to Steel sources for your area. Welcome to the group and be safe and have fun.

Tradetek
07-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Are you looking to buy from a big box store or a commercial steel supplier? I just bought enough 4130 Chromoly (much more expensive than mild steel) to do a Viking for less than $100 at my local steel supplier.

I just googled "richmond missouri steel supplier" and came up with a couple near you. Questions you want to ask is the price per foot, versus the price per foot for an entire length. The price/ft when buying an entire length is significantly cheaper than the regular per foot price. A full lenght will be a random size from 17-24 feet.

You also want to ask if they charge anything to do 1 or 2 cuts for transportation. My local shops will do a couple cuts for free as long as I'm not asking for specific lengths.

Also ask if they charge for "drops". Typically this will be $.60 to $1.00 per pound for steel, and about double that for aluminum. You may be able to find all the steel you need cheap just by buying drops. I have a local supplier that only sells mild steel and they charge a flat $.60 per pound for all drops, and half their business is drops because they buy other local supplier's drops and sort of specialize in serving the home builder market.

Also, ask if they charge any sort of handling fees, it means that they don't want to deal with individuals. Move on to another company. Be very clear that you want to know if there are any additional costs above the cost of the steel. Some companies just assume you are planning to buy a lot and then tack on handling fees and forklift fees.

Good luck

Bill

One three
07-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Dear new friends,
wow thank you so much for all the great info!!! I had a conversation with the wife... Lol don't we almost always, lol, and never pay full attention, lol.. Anyways she was shocked to see what these bikes can possibly sell for... So now I have great pride in saying that due to her disbelief I'm really ready to just dive in with both feet!!!!! For I have found my new inspiration in that alone... But I think for now I'll just start with building just one and seeing what happens

Tradetek
07-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Looking forward to updates on your thread. You will find that any issue or question you have along the way will get answered by somebody, and most likely a whole bunch of different ideas and suggestions/answers, but it will always be up to you to decide how you want to build your creation whether you follow a plan to the letter, or customize to some special need or desire that is all your own.

Bill

bikebuilder
08-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Yeah, sometimes when people say that something can't be done that makes you want to do it even more. That is the case with my bike project.