PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Dawn
06-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Hi everyone, just wanted to say hello, we are building the ' Streetfox ', with a mesh seat, looking at images of other recumbents they have used a mesh fabric we think is called Phifertex, but we can not find it available in the UK anywhere, is there a UK alternative we could use instead, we have spent many hours searching UK fabric sites but are not really sure what to look for, I'm sure there is someone that can advise us on the best product to purchase, many thanks in advance. :)

bambuko
06-07-2013, 04:41 PM
here (http://www.kayospruce.com) is one supplier in UK.
I'd guess sailmaking suppliers are your best source?

Let us know how you get on - I am interested in trying mesh seat as well.

Radical Brad
06-07-2013, 05:22 PM
I too have been trying to find a reliable source, but have not come up with much yet.

Brad

TexasTuff
06-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Here is a couple of US suppliers.

i've not bought from this one. (http://poweroncycling.com/product-list/fabric-and-foam-1013/)

I've bought from this one several times with no problems. (http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/prod_detail_list/61) Comes in 12 colors.

I'll look around and see if i can find a wholesaler for bulk rolls. I talked to them about a year ago. A roll was way more than I could ever use (or afford).

TexasTuff
06-07-2013, 06:03 PM
i've often wondered if this is the same stuff they sell at the big box stores as sun shade. Someone that lives closer than I to a big box store might like to check it out. It's a 60 mile round trip for me to go to Home Depot.

Cashew
06-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Just did some searching online, ordered some samples. Will report back on how they look, feel and if it's durable.
Cashew

TexasTuff
06-07-2013, 07:29 PM
As I typed in my last post, my stepson had pulled an old trampoline from the storage container and was sitting it up. i went out to give him a hand and noticed that the material used for the trampoline would make a very good seat material. it is a tighter weave but should work very well. So watch FreeCycle for those free trampolines. The one we have set up in the yard would make 10 or 12 seats.

FrankCrank
06-07-2013, 07:49 PM
....the seat proved to be the biggest headache om my trike. I tried mesh - something that looked like phifertex, but it went all saggy in no time. Tried a slightly different design with same material, and saggy again. It didn't say Phifertex, but looked the same as far as I could tell - guess without trying the real branded stuff I'll never know for sure. Anyhow - now using 1" nylon webbing wrapped around the seat rails at about 1" spacing, then added some loose fit breathable material on top to make it look more pretty - works a treat. Been riding it like that for about a year now and no probs apart from salt build up on the webbing which is easy to brush off. The climate here is hot and sweaty pretty much year round, so a hard shell seat would be a no-no, a mesh seat sounds like it would be perfect, but I can't make one that will work, so webbing seems to be the best solution for me.......

Ticktock
06-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Hi ,
Can't help with brand names, but the material used for the trampoline deck on small catarmarans would be ideal, and if you get it from a sailmaker, you can be sure its the right stuff,and they may be able to add all the eyelets and edging you need.
Or the next best idea is from Frank--just wrap narrow tape adound the seat to make an open weave, and cover it you are worried about the looks.
Next best is paracord .
Steve G

sandman
06-08-2013, 02:25 AM
Hi Dawn, Kayospruce in Hampshire sell phiferflex and trampoline mesh, I use trampoline mesh which is a little stiffer than phiferflex, if you going to use eyelets to lace the mesh onto the seat frame with bungy cord as I have the I recommend re enforcing the edges with Dacron tape, it stops the eyelets pulling through the mesh. good luck with your build. John

Ibedayank
06-08-2013, 04:04 AM
http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/prod_detail_list/61
ask and you shall get!!

bambuko
06-08-2013, 12:33 PM
http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/prod_detail_list/61
ask and you shall get!!
that's what happens when people reply without actually reading first :rolleyes4:
so sandman and I get a prize for answering the question (ie UK source for the mesh)
rest of you (as the Q says to 007) - pay attention :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAyryMjT2vE

Dawn
06-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Thank you all for your help, we have looked at the UK supplier you have suggested, the mesh fabric is quite expensive and we are not sure what widths it comes in yet, waiting for a reply from them, we have also been browsing images online at the different fabrics used by builders, I was thinking of sewing webbing straps to it, so that I can tension it with either heavy duty Velcro which I can get easily here or buckles if I can find any the right size, I want to have a trial run at making the seat cover and was thinking maybe a car boot liner or some heavy duty canvas but will see what I can find, if I run the webbing straps all the way across the back of the seat cover I think it would give it more strength and probably limit any sagging, that's the theory anyway, will let you know how I get on.

dmac257
06-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Thank you all for your help, we have looked at the UK supplier you have suggested, the mesh fabric is quite expensive and we are not sure what widths it comes in yet, waiting for a reply from them, we have also been browsing images online at the different fabrics used by builders, I was thinking of sewing webbing straps to it, so that I can tension it with either heavy duty Velcro which I can get easily here or buckles if I can find any the right size, I want to have a trial run at making the seat cover and was thinking maybe a car boot liner or some heavy duty canvas but will see what I can find, if I run the webbing straps all the way across the back of the seat cover I think it would give it more strength and probably limit any sagging, that's the theory anyway, will let you know how I get on.

Dawn, I am not sure about where in England to get the mesh. If you are worried about sagging and keeping tight I suggest you make the seat cover similar to the one at bottom of this page:
http://www.fleettrikes.com/tth3.htm using bendable aluminum rod for each side.

I used something similar to this with heavy waterproof canvas and 1/2 inch electrical conduit for a deck shade...with no eyelets the tension is on the conduit not the spot where the cord goes through.

dmac257

Ibedayank
06-09-2013, 12:14 AM
it's known as INTERNATIONAL shipping

GET IT????

bambuko
06-09-2013, 05:09 AM
...GET IT????
no need to SHOUT
shipping costs and charges would more than double the price of buying in US (yes I have personal experience of doing this)
so when someone asks you for help in sourcing stuff locally in UK, there is no point in adding insult to injury by reminding them how easy and cheap it is to get the goods in US

Ibedayank
06-10-2013, 12:23 AM
no need to SHOUT
shipping costs and charges would more than double the price of buying in US (yes I have personal experience of doing this)
so when someone asks you for help in sourcing stuff locally in UK, there is no point in adding insult to injury by reminding them how easy and cheap it is to get the goods in US

news flash... at times it's cheaper to order from the USA then to buy in the UK even with the shipping.
Some things are not available in the UK that are here. Even Brad ships his parts out by crossing the border into the USA.
I can ship 18pounds of stuff to the UK for under $40, Can also send over 60,000 pounds for under $10,000
Most likely send more stuff to the UK then you will ever buy in your lifetime.

Cashew
06-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Seat material. Did searching online and ordered samples, they came in today. I have no connection with this company, take it as you see it. www.blinds.com I ordered 7 samples , could have selected up to 10 free. All of them "Coolaroo" brand which is a carried by local big box stores as awning or sun shade material. 3 of them "exterior sun shade-Outback" are nice colors, but have a different weave and feel stretchy in one of the directions. Sydney Toffee has a really strong weave with multiple colors, kind of like wicker. The last 3 all black, Brisbane & Sydney Graphite both slightly stretchy especially diagonally. Melbourne Black very tight weave and super strong would think it would work as a great seat. All 3 black ones, water beaded up and didn't seem to want to go trough the mesh. The 4 color ones, water went through fairly quick. More testing would be in order.
Samples were all approximately 3 inch x 3 inch.
Cashew

Dawn
06-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Got an email back from Kayospruce Ltd the Phifertex they sell is 1.2m wide and it's sold by the meter so enough for my seat 2m would cost £48.67 inc delivery, a bit more than I expected so far I have ordered the webbing I need and some Ladderlock Buckles to tension the seat cover, as I think I am going to make a seat cover similar to the ones used on TerraTrike's

bambuko
06-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks Dawn,

I've had similar quotes from another UK supplier (120cm wide at£14.99+VAT, minimum order 3 metres) for Phifertex.

Alternative (very similar) material is Textilene (138cm wide, £18.59+VAT per metre, minimum order 1 metre).

Dawn
07-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Finally made my seat cover from webbing straps tension-ed by ladder lock buckles stitched to a 600 denier polyester will see if it stands up to wear, so far so good but time will tell

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3268&c=5 (http://forum.atomiczombie.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3268&c=5)

FrankCrank
07-02-2013, 08:01 PM
....wow - great looking seat, and the rest of the trike for that matter.....

bambuko
07-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Looks very good indeed (and the bike too :cheesy:)
How much cheaper was it than the original phiferflex quote?
Good ventilation is one of the advantages of phiferflex - is 600 denier polyester going to be similar? (I know I sweat like a pig on my solid seat)