PDA

View Full Version : Hi from here :)

Messsy
06-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Thought ild say hi from me as im new here, my level of knowledge within bike modding is quite close to zero. Infact its that close to zero you could call it zero, ild call it an option to learn… but its still zero :(

Im hoping my son aged 11 will like me tinkering with his bike as it will give me the dedication to stay here.

Anyway a bit about me, born 1981, 12.5% rich, broke what i had to see whats inside, always looking outside the box, eventually the looking became thinking. I spent my early days causing destruction but i learnt from the discomfort i saw and decided thats the moment i change, since that day i slipped twice, once for sqli, and another to alcohol. In recent times i live happy doing the right things in life, most amazing children x3, positive thinking (and actions) got me to where im at now, happy, legal hacking at anything that has a power source.
some would say bad boy gone good, i say a knob thats researched.
Theres that word, researched, we all see that far too much on forums, noobs saying 'spoon feed me' you wont get that from me, what you might get is a detailed question asking for help with something i need help only in pointing me in the right direction.

This is me and this is my introooooo
Love the pics, ive had a look around hope to feel what you guys feel in this subject……

enlighten me ;)

darnthedog
06-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Welcome to the most fun you will have- If you have an addictive personality be perpared to be building more than just one as you will have almost as much fun building as you will riding. Plus if you have kids they will want in on the fun as well. To Start off. Read & watch the Tutorials on the main page- They will familarize you with the basics of a bicycle and the components you will be using. Then look over the plans. Biggest recommendation is pick up 6 pack deal. You won't regret it as they will allow your creativity to go nuts. Some folk mix up parts of plans to create a new design. When you start building be sure to post pictures of your progress good or bad we love to watch. There a posting photos link above to show you how. As to Zero knowledge- many start out at zero- and then they just keep on going. So welcome to the group and have fun.

Ticktock
06-28-2013, 12:05 AM
Sounds like the same line of thought given to me by a very wise old man when I was younger---"Chances are you already know the answer--you have simply not asked yourself the right questions yet!" On another occasion he was heard to say that "he liked working with me, because I was smart enough to ask a dumb question!" Still not sure if that was a compliment, and there's no way I was going ask that question!
Welcome to the mad house ---from China!
When you do start building, share the pics, as we like them too!
Steve G,
Beijing

dmac257
06-28-2013, 12:29 AM
Hi From across the pond in Connecticut. I second the suggestion about looking through the tutorials. Sounds like you have already looked at some of the forum a bit, I also recommend the 6-pack deal. If you get your son interested let him pick one of the plans for your set. I just started building a Streetfox using my grandson's outgrown suspension mountain bike. HE isn't interested in the build but might want to ride it when I am done. Then he might get interested in building one.

Good luck .. post pictures when you get started.

dmac257

SirJoey
06-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Greetings from a yank with limey roots!

With the wisdom you've obviously achieved,
you're gonna do great! Welcome aboard! :)

**** The Truth Is Out There! ****
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
(Geezer & Bent Enthusiast At Large)

Radical Brad
06-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Glad to have you joining the fun.
"Close to zero" won't last for long, and before you know it, you will be the one giving advice.

Cheers,
Brad

DannyC
07-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi there Messy,

As another UK based person and relative Noob I think you will like it here. :-)
They are a really friendly & helpful bunch here.
You will quickly cotton on to the fact that everyone except the UK based folks (and some of the ex-pat brits abroad) seems to have acres of space to work in and lots of local tool & hardware shops to plunder :-)
At least, that's how it seems to me. Ha! Ha!
Welcome on board, hope you enjoy the ride.

Regards,

Dan. (Essex -UK)

edspedalcars
07-02-2013, 11:11 AM
A bright sunny hello from California.

A word of caution here. This place and the people are addictive.
I'm comimg up to my 1st anniversary, (Sept), and I can't wait to get my daily fix.

Get up, get paper, get coffee, get Tab, get seated, get to reading/posting.
You quickly find you will have friends that are not in your time zone, and must
adjust.

There's no judging ones abilities or experiences, just sincere desire to make, 'it', work.
No matter what, 'it', is.

Enjoy

Ed

Ticktock
07-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi Dan,
You have not read my posts with due care and attention!!! Thats 10 demerit points, which can be cancelled upon receipt of a bottle of real Guiness delivered to me in China!!!!
I work in a phone boothe, can't find 1. 5mm thick steel square or round sections, have a battle to find anything that is not stainless and that you can drill without having a nuclear reactor round the corner, and where you can't get 48 hole rims of any size! There is no phone book, thus no Yellow Pages, and no one knows where anything is!
Everything has to come through the house to reach the road, and has to be finished before it hits the road--no test ride and paint--too much work getting back into the phone boothe .
Hey Frank--you started the "phone boothe" it stuck!
Now tell me the UK is not so bad!!!
No kidding, I have stainless angle here that I cannot drill by hand drill , with special stainless steel drills. No one knows where to get mild steel!, They don't know what it is, even though it is used on some things.
But I do have a good tool shop just round the corner--buy everything by drawing pictures, as even my wife does not know the right words for some of the things I buy!
And a good bike shop round the other corner, so its not all gloom and doom!
In between is the bottle shop, so if gets real bad------?
Have fun,
Steve G
Let me know about the Guiness!

Ticktock
07-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Hi Ed,
That sums it up pretty well!
Just finished the evening beer while you have your morning coffee, and then I asleep while you work ---we had about 90 degrees in your language today, so we are getting warmer, very quickly, even if you still win!
In the morning , I will check what you did while I sleep. Any one in the UK is stuck in the middle, and does not know whether to sleep or work.
But we all have fun, whether its in a phone booth or a 5 acre paddock. (each has its advantages ) but the phone boothe wins when you loose something!
Maybe--don't know how many times I can't find the grinder key because I'm standing on it! "Self Hiding" is the way to describe this problem with tools. Cheaper tools are just "elusive".
Have fun--work hard while I sleep!
Steve G

DannyC
07-02-2013, 11:28 AM
I did include the "ex-pats" element along with the UK folks as an exception to specifically to cover your situation SteveG ;-)
Notwithstanding this misunderstanding, I would be happy (delighted actually) to buy you a Guinness (or other suitable beverage) any time we meet face-2-face.

Dan.

edspedalcars
07-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Steve

You need to invent the microchip for tools, then you can use your GPS to find them.

Ed

Ticktock
07-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Have not quite finished the evening beer--might need another one after that!!!
My GPS seems to be accurate to aboutb50 feet, and takes about 3 seconds to realise the car has actually moved (not that I check these things of course).
So in a phone booth--probably the biggest phone boothe in China, at about 2x 3 meters (quick translation for all non metric Zombies without a bi lingual tape )--6'6"X13'0"
I have a feeling there would be an accuracy problem in the location, not to mention the unbearable delay of 3 seconds before I could find a tool that normally takes me only five minutes to find, because I' standing on it!
Then I would have to make sure that the tool system was totally free of interference from the dog system , or my tools would be moving all over the house!
Enjoy morning coffee--still got some beer left!
Steve G

Tradetek
07-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Well now that we all know that your "phone booth" is about the same size as half of an average garage... no more sympathy for you Steve!
;)

Bill

FrankCrank
07-02-2013, 07:58 PM
...sounds like your phone box is the same type Doctor Who uses.......

Ticktock
07-02-2013, 09:13 PM
At 26 X6'6" you would need a skinny car,(might have trouble opening the doors) and at 13'X13' it won't be an Eldorado!. Cuiosusity beatme--I just ran a tape (after I found it) round the boothe, and it is actually 1900X 2600 working space. Now if I had told you that before we had the wheel base guessing!!!
The doorway is 600mm wide
Does that restore the sympathy vote?
Steve G,
Bekijing
PS I think D Who used a police box---it was Superman who did the quick change act in a phone booth!

Tradetek
07-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Sorry... typical garage in the US is 20x20... so I'll give you a little sympathy since your space is actually about 1/3 the size, but then I have to take it back because you are very unlikely to find an American's garage that doesn't use that space to hold useless crap! ;)

Tradetek
07-02-2013, 11:18 PM
BTW, welcome to the craziness Messsy! As you can see, like most zombies, our brains are addled (or pickled) to a point where we tend to have problems focusing on the subject at hand :)

Ticktock
07-03-2013, 02:31 AM
Here in China then useless crap is usually stored on the balconies--but we don't have a balcony (ground floor) so my workspace is dictated by the ever so useful stuff the wife keeps in a cupboard that reduces my workspace to less than would be desireable! Phone booth is still a pretty good description!
Something wrong in the mathes here, as 20ft is very close to 6M, so 6X6 meters is 36square meters. I have 1.9X 2.6=4.94 which is just over 1/8, so I reckon I should still score sympathy, even if you do allow for useless crap in a US garage!!!
Prove anything with numbers if you think for long enough!
Steve G,
Beijing.
By the way--what was the original subject of this thread?????

Tradetek
07-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Hmmm... seems like I should get some sympathy for being math challenged this week! ;)

I think I got focused on half a garage as my starting point!

edspedalcars
07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Hmmm... seems like I should get some sympathy for being math challenged this week! ;)

I think I got focused on half a garage as my starting point!

I guess, what goes around, comes around, Bill,i.e, post #14. LOL

Tradetek
07-03-2013, 06:40 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18993675/Emoticons/head_bang.gif

edspedalcars
07-03-2013, 06:56 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18993675/Emoticons/head_bang.gif

That's so gross. Funny, and not far from the truth.

Ed

Ticktock
07-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Does the cartoon mean you like Windows 7 as much as I do?????
Windows cannot locate correct key--- Or system is not responding?
The difference to comparing to a line on the floor and actually having a wall there is quite surprising . Even though walls are good to lean on when you trip over the stuff you don't have room for.
Keep up the fun,
Steve G

edspedalcars
07-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Has anyone heard from Messy? You remember Messy, he/she is the one that started this thread.

I hope we didn't scare him/her away.
.................................................. .........................
Messy, maybe someone should have warned you.

The likely hood is very great, that just, one word, one remark, or one picture often sends a Zombie into a fit of uncontrollable,
deliriously, delusional replies, which will more often than not, send you to, wondrously funny places, well... outside.....of your initial thread.

To be a Zombie, is to know, understand, and accept this fact, and that even you, will in time, become infected, with this wondrous malady.

You must not fear, Messy, we are all friendly, caring, thoughtful, Zombies. So please come out of hiding, and join us.

Enjoy

Ed

Ticktock
07-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Hi Ed,
Well put, as we have strayed far from the thread. I just did a quick re read , and would hazard a guess that is no fear, or offence taken, based on Messys' into, and I hope he has enjoyed what he (or she) has accidentally started.
On thing should be obvious from all this---you post here you do get replies, even if they are not always what you expect.
Appologies for our wanderings and misdeeds,
Steve G,
beijing