PDA

View Full Version : The gathering of "bits" continues

DannyC
07-02-2013, 11:12 AM
As most folks in the UK will know, the majority of UK rubbish tips are now "outsourced" and in most cases these places will not let you have any frames or parts from their containers (you have to get to the donor's before they deposit their "gems" otherwise "title" passes to the recycling Co.

The alternatives seem to be Gumtree, Freecycle and e-Bay.

Today I bid for and collected 4 really badly seized-up bikes which I will now cut up for "parts".
So far this has a guaranteed yield of 4 sets of Headset-tube and fork hardware (2 pairs of 2 differing lengths!!), 2 usable Rear-triangles from the Suspension-bikes, and 2 bottom-bracket shells with attached down-tubes for front derailleurs, and 2 steel hand-guards. Plus of course there are a number of rims and hubs (mostly unusable).

Not a bad haul I suppose, and it has completed all I need for my StreetFox parts list. :)

A weekend in my brothers fabrication and blast & powder place is booked for 19th-21st of July for the major build process.:builder2:
I'm really looking forward to it.:scooter:
Dan.

FrankCrank
07-02-2013, 08:16 PM
...they also have a thing over there called Bumblebee Auction web site, which is where the police dispose of job lots of recovered bikes to the highest bidder. Haven't used it myself, but maybe another source to use.

Many years ago back there I had an old Mini and needed a new part for it. Went to the local tip and explained what I was after - fella says 'yeah over there's a pile of Mini's - go help yourself'.
I think now you have to show you've been on a health and safety course, and wear all the appropriate safety gear, and be accompanied by a qualified mechanic .....blah blah....

bambuko
07-03-2013, 04:52 AM
All council dumps here have re-cycling section where they are selling stuff, rather than picking things from their skips.
Standard price (here in south west) is £10 for adult bike and £5 for kids bike.
It takes long time to find something good (rather than the usual heavy, cheap and nasty stuff) but it is possible and well worth £10 when it is right stuff.
Despite trying (long time also) on e-pay I've never found anything locally (otherwise postage is too high) - but that might be a function of my location.
Gumtree and Freecycle (as well as Preloved) never yielded anything of value.
So, however much I resent paying for other people's rubbish, council dumps are (for me at least) still the best source.