PDA

View Full Version : Post your suggestions - Online Calculators

KoolKat
07-30-2013, 12:38 PM
We're asking for your feedback on the types of calculators and converters you'd like, such as measurement conversions, gear calculator, spoke length calculator, etc.

tree
07-30-2013, 11:15 PM
We're asking for your feedback on the types of calculators and converters you'd like, such as measurement conversions, gear calculator, spoke length calculator, etc.

Diameters (inner & outer) of commonly available tubing.

Examples:
EMT conduit 1/2", 3/4", 1", etc.
Fence posts (1 3/8", 1 5/8")
Structural tubing in 1", 1.5", etc, with wall thickness specified (14/16/18ga, 1/8", etc)
Plumbing/gas pipe
Head tube inner diameters of commonly found frames (Murray, Huffy, Magna, etc)

I've found that the smallest fence post top rail (1 3/8") is a reasonable equivalent to Huffy head tubes, for example - the cups fit with just a slight amount of play.
Black gas plumbing pipes are great for extending fork steerers as well. (tallbikes!)

Ideally, you could look up a bike part or enter a measurement and get a list of tubes that will be a close fit.
The reverse would be 'I've got this pipe here, or the store has tons of these... What donor bike would have the closest matching head tube?

It's more just a list of measurements with a fancy interface... But it would have saved me some putzing around at the hardware store on several occasions. :)

Ticktock
07-31-2013, 07:58 AM
Hi,
I suppose the most used calulators would have to be for spoke length, and GearInch/feet-meters developed, but able to include a mid drive , and presented in easy to follow format, and ditto for the print out. Sheldon Browns is good for a normal bike, but does not cater for a mid drive.
Next would be bearing size charts--its not easy to get bearing sizes until you find the right sites.
I know its already on the web in many places, but a guide to tyre sizes and rim compatability would help many, as it seems to get more complicated every year!
Then all the usual metric /imperial conversions would be a nice one for those not used to working with both units.
Steve G,
Beijing

bambuko
07-31-2013, 11:39 AM
afaic only things that cannot already be found on the interweb make sense, otherwise it would be a waste of valuable time for Brad.
So for example, there are so many spoke length calculators, so that there would have to be very good reason for another one ... (maybe I am missing something - I am ready to be corrected and enlightened).
Same goes for all the info already on Sheldon Brown - unless you can find something that is missing there?

All the tubing/material/bearing/etc info is best sourced from your supplier (and anyway... who would be maintaining it an keeping it up to date?). I have never yet found myself in a situation where I couldn't easily get it from the interweb and wished that it was available here.
Plus... - the question was about calculators not databases of info.

As for metric/imperial conversions - it's not the converter that is needed, but simple calculator :cheesy: and a bit of education.

About the only thing so far that makes sense to me is gear calculator including mid drives (haven't found good one yet), although again I believe the tutorial about how to do it would be more helpful and useful than a "calculator".

Radical Brad
07-31-2013, 12:01 PM
I have a few reasons...

1) It will bring traffic here, which brings new members to this great community and could also translate into income to help make this site better.
2) I am going to do it better than anyone else. My calcs are going to be graphical and offer more options.
3) it will be one stop calc shopping. No reason to dig around the net if I have them all in one organized page.

Brad

afaic only things that cannot already be found on the interweb make sense, otherwise it would be a waste of valuable time for Brad.
So for example, there are so many spoke length calculators, so that there would have to be very good reason for another one ... (maybe I am missing something - I am ready to be corrected and enlightened).
Same goes for all the info already on Sheldon Brown - unless you can find something that is missing there?

All the tubing/material/bearing/etc info is best sourced from your supplier (and anyway... who would be maintaining it an keeping it up to date?). I have never yet found myself in a situation where I couldn't easily get it from the interweb and wished that it was available here.
Plus... - the question was about calculators not databases of info.

As for metric/imperial conversions - it's not the converter that is needed, but simple calculator :cheesy: and a bit of education.

About the only thing so far that makes sense to me is gear calculator including mid drives (haven't found good one yet), although again I believe the tutorial about how to do it would be more helpful and useful than a "calculator".

bambuko
07-31-2013, 12:24 PM
I understand your logic and good luck to you.
I might even use your calculators if they are indeed better.
Don't care much for "one stop" - it's for lazy people :rolleyes4: (and I guess it covers about 80% of population - so you might succeed :punk:).
I am perfectly happy digging around the net, using calculator (my own) etc, etc - hence my suggestion, which I realise is neither typical nor representative of the 80%.

HHJJ
07-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Yes, I'd go along with your reasons Brad.
The information on this site in tutorials, the plans and the forums is fab.
When I first got my welder and googled for tutorials I ended up here. It was the first one I read.

I find myself collecting notepad docs full of links and notes I collect from the interweb on a daily basis...and then I have to remember what I called them and where I put them,
so a one stop shop is handy for me.

DannyC
07-31-2013, 01:48 PM
To coin a phrase....."Build it and they will come" :-)

As long as you offer a unique selling proposition you will generate sales.
If I might be so bold as to suggest you also look at your most popular designs and offer them as "Kits" including all the tubing (pre-cut over-size to allow for final finishing) and your own bare BB and headset shells ?
Let the DIY enthusiast do the welding & the assembly and final finishing.
They can then rightly claim that they built the bike.
Just an idea....you can all shout it down......................... now!!!!!

.....I am now running for the cover of my concrete bunker ;-)

MrIdaho
07-31-2013, 02:10 PM
I found an easy method to convert metric to imperial (inches) and vice a versa. Purchase a digital caliper from say HF for under $10. The one I purchased has metric and imperial at the touch of a button. I measure a bearing ID in one mode then with the push of a button I have metric. Used for designing the DIY 20mm hubs I am building. I posted a simple math equation for gear inches somewhere. Will locate again. Very easy once you know the figures to input. Found one calculator that wanted to OD of the rim then the measurement from the rim OD to the spoke nipple slot. Got confusing until I realized what they were asking. I wish gear inch was just gear ratios instead of gear inches. very confusing indeed.

TexasTuff
07-31-2013, 02:44 PM
This has always been one of my favorite online calculators. Might be nice to tie it in with a GI calculator. \http://www.bikesatwork.com/blog/how-much-weight-can-a-bicycle-carry
Bikes At Work has some pretty neat products also.

MrIdaho
07-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Gear inch = drive wheel diameter x # of teeth on front sprocket / # of teeth on rear sprocket. Would still rather have gear ratios like 3 to 1 or 2.5 to 1. easier to interpret IMO. LOW gear anything below 4 to 1 ratio95 to 1, 6 to 1 etc, HIGH gear anything higher than 4 to 1, 3 to 1, 2 to 1 etc.

TexasTuff
07-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Eons ago when I was learning to program in VB, I was writing a conversion program that was printing industry specific. When I was about 3/4 finished I ran across this neat program. I still keep a copy of Convert for Windows handy. Almost anything to anything. http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/ An online version might be handy.

go1000go
07-31-2013, 04:04 PM
A great calculator would be the one that breaks down the time to build a custom, one off, jawing dropping, bike/trike.
Having got into this on a whim, this hobby is sometimes verging on obsession.
With limited funds being applied, the extent of thinking time to build time is often amazing, is there a calculator for that!

Any calculators that spur others on to make, recycle and think what that can create not just a bike or trike, but plenty of other stuff and keeps us sane is well worth it.

Another thought would be a forum top fifty, those article that have had the most views or most liked or most useful source of inspiration as voted by us builders and followers.

Well done keep up the great work, I have loved the developments to the website, gallery, new plans added tutorials and videos, access to purchased parts world wide, that have all been added in the last two years I know of.

Why not have a simple donate button to purchase of plans, 10% i would happily contribute when buying plans that allow for the future developments to be funded, just a thought.

Oh and yes to calculators for gearing including multiple mid drives and effect of wheel sizes.
Likely weights of finished bikes.
Spoke lengths
Estimated build cost calculators

Also sources for buying stuff, like fat rims and tyres, maybe seek a commission from these sellers for referrals.

Please keep up the great work.

tree
08-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Yah, a gear ratio calc for crazy builds!!
One mid drive is prolly enough, but I have contemplated more than one for tandem and other wackier rides like a sand/beach crawler with a really massive gear range.

Tube cutting/coping template generator? They let you print a coping template and wrap it around the tube and cut on the line.

FrankCrank
08-01-2013, 01:18 AM
...a calculator so I can know the correct ratio of beer to be consumed per hour of fettling, where you can input the region, ie tropical, as this would give a more generous serving :)

Part of the fun is searching around and seeing what's out there in webland, but if you can bring it all under one roof then sounds like a great idea.....

Petone_NZ
08-01-2013, 04:32 AM
How much money you will save by riding an AZ creation instead of driving a car. Ideally aquisition, maintenance and fuel costs for each, distance traveled, car fuel consumption etc.

Also ... there are always lots of "How much will an AZ bike cost to build?" enquiries, and of course it all depends on the cost of donor bikes. But maybe a calculator where you can choose an AZ plan and it lists all the major costs (number of wheels, approx length of steel tube, brake and gear sets etc). Allow the user to enter their own cost for each item ... and maybe "group" the bits which could come from a single donor bike so entering the cost of that donor would cover all those parts. An exact answer probably isn't possible, but users could try "what if" variations and get a ballpark figure.

edspedalcars
08-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I have a few reasons...

1) It will bring traffic here, which brings new members to this great community and could also translate into income to help make this site better.
2) I am going to do it better than anyone else. My calcs are going to be graphical and offer more options.
3) it will be one stop calc shopping. No reason to dig around the net if I have them all in one organized page.

Brad

I believe the short version is called, 'Customer Service', which seems to be a dying business ethic.

Ed

thewimreaper
08-07-2013, 03:22 AM
Something that would be great for European builders
Is metric bike plans because you wouldn't need a calculator

Ticktock
08-07-2013, 03:34 AM
If you need to get lower than my 8GI low it must be one massive sand dune with near vertical walls!!!!! That's on one mid drive that gives me 120GI on 20 inch wheels.
Steve G
Beijing
PS Still looking for the local sand dune to test it on--Gobi Desert is too far for a day trip!

Ticktock
08-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Hi Frank--good one-(wife has just gone out shopping while talking on the house, walkabout phone--she won't get too far!)
The problem here is that you would have to include an "accuracy in advertising/ labelling" factor, as in certain parts of then world, you can't believe what it says on the can/ bottle!
Then you would need a seasonally adjusted factor for time of year--we get minus 14c , no humidity to high 30C with half your humidity.
Now this is getting so complicated that we either need on line help, or I need another beer while I think about what happens if the on line help is wrong, and I have too many beers per kilometre!
Wife has just returned to get her mobile phone!
Have fun--that's what its all about.
Sorry to play with a serious thread--but never let a chance for a laugh go by!
Steve G

MrIdaho
08-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Not sure how to use this application but stumbled across it.http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0460-Assembli460/0551-Componen551/0569-Roller_C569 It will calculate chain drive mechanisms. If I can figure out how to get it working then maybe idler pulley sizes etc can be inserted?

Ticktock
08-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Idler pullies, by definition, have no effect on anything--they are just what the name says--idle! So why bring them into any equation? Just adds complication!
With an idler--the bigger the better from friction point of view---the smaller the better from the space point of view---you pays your money, you get what you pay for!
Steve G

MrIdaho
08-07-2013, 11:40 AM
I learned first hand about idler pulley diameter / amount of energy to turn / loss of power. I had a small diameter idler, switched to a 4" idler and pedaling got way easier. My current design I am looking at using large 36t sprockets off of mid drives or use a small sprocket say 14t. The more teeth the chain has under it then the amount of torque or loss of energy comparing both type of drive is less or more? I posted a layout of my design but since made slight changes eliminating one mid drive jack shaft.

Ticktock
08-07-2013, 11:47 AM
That was a very good point for any one reading, and even I was surprised that you noticed that much difference when you changed pullies.
But I still want to see what you are scheming next--it still sounds too complicated to be simple. (how's that after a few beers?)No wine yet!
Steve G

DannyC
08-07-2013, 05:45 PM
How about........
Silly question maybe, the excellent Tubemitre executable provides very usable templates for joining tubes; is there a similar application to provide template patterns for StreetFox or similar where a ROUND-TUBE has to be inset within or passed through the end of a Square-Tube Section at 2 intersecting degrees (Castor & Centre-Point)?

I can see lots of CAD programs out there SketchUp, FreeCAD etc. but nothing as simple a TubeMitre that provides "unfolded" templates to wrap round the work-piece and mark out the fish-mouths needed.
That would be really useful to be able to describe the angles of intersection and produce paper templates.

Regards,

Dan.

MrIdaho
08-07-2013, 07:49 PM
here is my plan to date http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/7950-ets-build-a-Viking-tandem it really isn't very complicated as I use two standard rear BMX wheels w/ freewheels and one shaft driving the wheels. It looks convoluted but it really isn't when you break it down into sections, two individual crank sets, two individual gear clusters w/ de-railers front and rear. the two so called mid drives are connected via one chain to the rear end shaft. no freewheels or differentials as the two wheels w/ freewheels act as the differential. I might even find that the outside wheel on a turn drives as well as the inside wheel? MAYBE??? after a fifth of scotch!! I ordered some parts from Bargain Basement Bike Parts and waiting for confirmation. One slight problem is that all four dropouts must be square and parallel with each other. Woodworking skills for measurements come into play.

Ticktock
08-07-2013, 08:34 PM
This is on the wrong thread!! This thread is for on line stuff. We have strayed a bit from that topic.
Steve G

KoolKat
08-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Please - let's stay on topic. We are asking for your suggestions for online calculators that you think would be useful for your bike projects. Thanks.

MrIdaho
08-11-2013, 06:00 PM
I found a site that has mid drive calculations in it The Recumbent Bicycle and Human Powered Vehicle Information Center (http://wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/gearinches.asp)

bovax
09-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Try bicycle forest, London Ontario. He has a brilliant on-line/off-line bicycle CAD: http://www.bikeforest.com/CAD/index.php pretty much everything you need to make bicycle plans.
I rented a couple of trikes from him last summer. Good guy all around. Definitely thinks like us.

IrvJamison
09-20-2013, 11:53 PM
IMO, the following are some needed calculators:
Gear/Speed with gear inches, kph/mph@ xx RPM, ratio gain with and w/o mid-drive
Popular gear ratios of IGH
Spoke length Calculator
Trail Calculator
Crank arm length calculator
Average speeds from time and distance
Tube coping calculator (tube fish mouthing)
Sit Bone information
Bike Tire Pressure Calculator
Pedal kickback calculator
Suspension, Length of Shock-Element/wheel load
Outside diameter of wheels, inches/mm
Speed/Power Calculator
Metal Weight Calculator

Ticktock
09-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Some good ones in that list , Irv.
So what's a pedal kick back calculator, and what's included in Sit bone info--had to be careful how I asked that one?
You got me guesssing!
Steve G

Tradetek
09-21-2013, 11:13 AM
After discovering that my hole saws by Lenox are actually smaller than their specified size and each notched cut requires a pretty significant amount of finishing to complete a joint, I have been starting to look into those on-line tube coping apps and while there are a couple good ones for round tubing, one thing that I noticed is that there do not appear to be any for square tubing...

So an app that I think would benefit a lot of people around here that is not easily found on another site would be a coping app for square tubing.

Bill

IrvJamison
09-22-2013, 12:18 AM
The Sit Bones are part of the pelvis, the bones on each side of the crack. Proper measurement of the Sit Bones should be factored in to seat design for comfort and so everything down stairs keeps working OK.
Pedal Kick Back is also known as Pogo Effect, the influence of pedal-force on rear wheel suspension. It would also be nice the have a drill/tap size chart and a listing of welding wire (MIG) and welding rods (Stick) compatibility for different grades of steel and Aluminum. How about plans for a simple to build wheel truing stand and dishing tool?