PDA

View Full Version : Question on track-rod ends for the StreetFox

DannyC
08-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi Folks,
My StreetFox build is now scheduled for the Weekend of the 9th - 11th August :-)

Step-by-step pictures will be taken and posted.

While the build docs do not specify it, should there be a LH and a RH track rod end for the Ackerman steering link?
YES! I know there is definitely a joint at either end, what I am puzzled about is whether they are meant to be discrete LH thread and RH thread like you would get on a car or a Go-Kart?
I would have thought "YES" if you want to turn the tie-tube to extend/shrink the rod end distances, but "NO" if you are willing to fiddle and undo the link at the steering TAB end each time you adjust.

Have I got that about right, or is there an unbreakable rule here that I am blithely unaware of??

Regards,

Dan.

darnthedog
08-01-2013, 12:56 PM
You got it in one. Mostly depends on what you want to do. The issue of course is finding the right sized Rod to mount them to with the right hand and left hand thread on either end. Most set it and forget it. No need to pull apart once the toe in is set. Others like the adjustability. But it can be done either way.

MrIdaho
08-01-2013, 03:16 PM
There is a thread with several suppliers of rod ends or commonly called heim joints. I myself found speedway motors at a good price. they carry 1/4inch to 1/2inch in several different materials ( aluminium steel and crome moly). 3/8" is what most bikes n trikes use. Internal thread or external thread, your choice but remember one is right hand thread while the other end is left hand. a left hand tap could be expensive so using a 3/8" rod then thread the end could be expensive. Have seen where a bolt w/ head cut off then welded to a metal tube (emt conduit perhaps) or weld a nut at both ends. one LH and one RH. good luck and have fun

Dawn
08-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Hi We used two 12mm Female Rod End Bearings RH thread M12 off eBay on ours with 12mm threaded bar welded into a 14mm OD tube, with lock nuts, they did do L/H and R/H Rod ends but it was easier to use just right hand as we only needed to buy right hand studding to screw them on to which was easy to find. we do have to undo one side to adjust it but its easy.

Twinkle
08-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Hi

I used 8mm threaded rod with female rod ends and supported the centre section with 10mm tubing lock nutted at both ends with a little bit of thread showing for adjustment I find it works well and its strong enough and half the cost of the 12 mm units . Lets face it, you are only going to adjust it when you build it and if you prang it ..
( my trex recumbent also uses 8 mm rod ends and at £4 on ebay it helps the pocket for the rest of the build )

Regards Emma

FrankCrank
08-01-2013, 07:53 PM
....when I got mine, I said I'll have a LH and a RH please, and some nuts as well......sorry, we don't do LH nuts......better make it two RH then, and some RH nuts.......

DannyC
08-03-2013, 12:10 PM
LOL, that's a giggle Frank.
I went hog-wild and bought 2 righty's and one lefty (with SS LH nuts because no-one seems to do LH thread in anything other than SS).
My brother says that he thinks you can't weld SS to mild steel (one of them would be welded to the end of the track-rod/ackerman arm mild steel tube).
Although looking on the MIG forum it says it can be done.
So, I might end up with the less elegant solution (2 right's) anyway and 2 rights don't make a wrong do they ;-)

Dan.

darnthedog
08-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Mild steel and Stainless can be welded together but where they connect will not longer be stainless and subject to corrosion. Thus it will no longer be stainless.

Ticktock
08-03-2013, 09:06 PM
There's good and bad with using two rights!
Good is that if you leave only a little thread visable, the rod can't come undone even if it is loose.
Bad is that you get adjustment in full turn steps, and that translates into more than 2mm at the tyres, which might make it hard to get toe-in correct. Also you have to remove one joint to adjust.
With a left and right you get any adjustment you want, not big steps.
With tie rods on a tadpole I would try for left and right for this reason. With the steering rod (bars to wheel) you can get away with two rights, or, to confuse people, including yourself, two lefts! On a Delta, I would always use two rights so they can never come off when loose.
Steve G

tomelect
08-04-2013, 12:07 AM
I used stainless instrument tube and stainless bolts, I rounded the heads on the bolts and inserted them into the end of the tube then welded them. Both ends are right hand thread and with locking nuts they won't undo and are not hard to adjust. You can weld stainless to mild using stainless rods as darnthehog says, but if you dont want corrosion you need to protect the weld or use stainless. As you can see in the pic I painted mine. http://s16.postimg.org/dz1g0soyt/track_rods.jpg

Tom
(http://s16.postimg.org/dz1g0soyt/track_rods.jpg)