PDA

View Full Version : A few Thoughts & Questions :)

Sheti-Phian
08-25-2013, 10:01 PM
I just ran across this site a couple of days ago, haven't yet purchased any plans but am leaning towards the LodeRunner (thus I'm posting here)

Builds (4 total, family bikes) will not start until next spring/summer which gives plenty of time to source parts on the cheap ;)

I'd like to increase the ground clearance, it will be mostly used on gravel roads and "roads" at camp grounds.
Both of which can and usually do contain unavoidable dips with lots of water.

I've read issues with larger wheels and the need to go with 48 spokes.
Can the hub size be enlarged and spoke length be decreased? wouldn't that increase strength?
What about going spoke-less (or essentially spoke-less) by welding a disk (or two) inside of the rim making it solid?

Anyone have experience or tips on moving to under seat steering and adding some suspension like the TimberWolf?
Re: suspension, the cargo wont be more then 200lbs (rarely >50) and the heaviest rider (myseslf) is currently ~200lbs and will hopefully be getting lighter ;)

Only one wheel is driven correct? I've seen some pictures of extended backs with both wheels driven so it seems simple enough to do.
With both wheels driven (wheel base will be the same if possible) is there any control performance hits? I figure turns might not be as tight.

MrIdaho
08-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Found a pretty cheap website for parts bbbp.net
I recently purchased numerious parts for a planed Viking build with 4 wheels and independent transmission that drives both rear wheel. I purchased some 20" wheels w/ 48H and 3/8 axles for $10 each. They have some brake shifter combo units that are really nice but only 8 speeds.

darnthedog
08-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Loderunner has quite a bit of clearance with the 20 wheels. This is due to the way Brad builds the axle support.
But as your loads are so small and you are looking at suspension and 26 inch wheels, why not just build the Timberwolf instead as it has all the mods you have mentioned. You can make your cargo area to your liking rather than mounting an ice chest. But it is you choice. The nice thing about the 20 inch wheels is the lower gear inch range so you have the ability to climb hills and get your loads going. As to dual rear wheel drive there are several methods that have been discussed. Some have made their own, others have looked into the commercial made Samagaga ETG which works like a differential with little to no lose in power.
Anyway welcome to the group. I'd like to recommend you take advantage of the 6 pack plans as many folks get a lot of ideas for mixing things up a bit.

Sheti-Phian
08-26-2013, 12:45 AM
MrIdaho:
Thanks, that site should help.

darnthedog:
I was originally looking at the TimberWolf but I read it only handled 100lbs cargo load.
I don't drive, never much cared for cars personal power always appealed to me more, while a wagon works well for walking I don't want to tow it with a bike :)

I'll look more into that differential.

Is there another multi-pack? the 6 for $36 seems to be over (may 2012)
Looking through a few plans could yield some interesting ideas :rolleyes4:

vk3ckc
08-26-2013, 01:12 AM
Found a pretty cheap website for parts bbbp.net

It's a pity those prices are not available in Australia. Only slightly dearer than recycling yards out here - and a greater range.

VK3CKC

HHJJ
08-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Sheti
I think the 6 for $36 is still on.
I bought my second six pack this July at that price.
Just fill up your basket and start the checkout process and it will give you the price.

I do find it handy having an assortment to gather the techniques from and do a mix and match to get the bike to suit me.

Ticktock
08-26-2013, 08:05 AM
The weight restriction on Timber Wolf is only because of the "lighter" support bracket shown in the plans. With careful changes, and attention to suspension, it could carry more.
The ground clearance, for your use, is the main thing you want to watch for. But its actually the derailer that is the lowest point--not the frame.
So look for a short derailer, and , with 26 inch wheels on Timber wolf (I did not check this), you should have no problem.
No problem with wheel strength for your use, just make the hubs a little wider, and you wont break them--you are not racing! (yet)
As I suspect most of your use will be relatively slow riding, you don't need really high gears, and should aim at the lower end of the gear range. So already I see a 42 as the biggest cog up front, and a 14/34 mega-range as the rear hub, but we can talk about that later.
Now the apology for bad manners----
Welcome to the group, from China!
Steve G,
Beijing

Sheti-Phian
08-26-2013, 06:23 PM
HHJJ:
Yep 6 for $36 is still on, just picked up some plans today :)

Ticktock:
I grabbed the TimberWolf and LodeRunner, should be able to find a happy mix.
Nope no racing on these, I grabbed the Warrior for that future want ;)

Your right, the TimberWold does use 26" wheels.

Wonder if the derailer can be moved a bit to increase clearance... maybe not that would reduce the amount of chain making contact with the gears.

Between the plans and these forums there is an information overload. Time to get reading and planning. :)