PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Warrior

grburnett
08-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Anyone know of anyone ever building a CF Warrior?
I have made CF tubes for airframes for ametuer high power rockets that you could beat someone to death with with only 2 layers of CF.
Thinking another layer or two and blown full of spray foam might make a rigid enough frame.
Would be a good idea I'd think to add some chainstays from near the dropouts to behind the seat.

For ideas how to make the joints and attach the bottom bracket and head/king pin tubes, see-
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-I-built-a-carbon-bike-frame-at-home-and-a-bam/

The link of course then adds in the notion of bamboo.

Thoughts?
I don't even have the money right now to buy the plans so this will be a future maybe, but I think it sounds cool.

Greg

darnthedog
08-30-2013, 07:00 PM
grburnett
I can honestly say I don't know. I have thought about it for rebuilding my warrior for the very purpose carbon fiber is used for. Lightening the load. But in all honesty I have never actually work with the stuff. Mostly due to the expence. But as there is a company in UK making Gears and cranks from CF I don't see why not if properly supported. I don't know the shear strengths or anything else. I'd suggest get the plans- But a steel one first then make the attempt. There is no triangulation on the Warrior so you may have to modify them for use with the Carbon fiber. But again I am not sure if it would work. But if you build it and it works it would be one sweet light trike. Welcome to the group and keep us informed.

bikebuilder
09-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Carbon fiber is expensive and not worth it. Weight affects acceleration significantly but not top speed. You will probably get a little boost in acceleration from having a carbon fiber frame, but will get almost nothing in top speed. You'll probably get an extra .5MPH if that even. I guess that carbon fiber is a good idea if you are more concerned about acceleration than top speed. Also remember to keep in mind that the weight of the bike is mostly within the rider just as the air resistance is mostly in the rider. Given this fact, you may want to consider losing some weight yourself. Of course you don't want to become underweight either.

TexasTuff
09-01-2013, 12:13 PM
My son recently bought a vacuum pump with the thought of building CF bike. I see a lot of advantages to CF. Many things effect top speed, acceleration and the ability to climb hills faster. Three things, total weight (bike and rider), frame stiffness and aerodynamics (not so much on hill climbing). If your looking for a fast bike, the total package is a must. CF has the ability to build both a stiff and lightweight frame.
I hope to have a part in one by the end of fall.
If you don't live where you have significant climbs on your rides you don't know how important a lightweight bike/trike can be.
BTW, a .5 mph increase in speed on a 1 hour race would put you 1/2 mile ahead of 2nd place, a 6 hour century ride would put you 3 miles ahead of 2nd place. I'll bet that top racers would pay thousands of dollars for a .5 mph increase in speed.

As has been noted in other carbon fiber threads, Atomic Zombie plans have not been engineered for CF builds. You would have to engineer your own design but I would think geometry would remain the same.

Oh yeah, i left out the part about motor conditioning.

EmteeOh
09-19-2013, 08:17 PM
My steel warrior's front boom flexes as I pedal. It feels to me like the flex is left-right, but others have said theirs flexes up-down... To me, that's the biggest problem I expect with a CF frame. You'd need to do something to stiffen that boom. My theory (I have been thinking about it) is to use medium density home insulation foam sheets. You cut it into long triangular prisms, and then roll 4 of them up in CF to make a 1.5 inch square tube with an CF X cross section. Once its all set up, you can basically cut the CF tubes into the same shapes as steel, and then glue them together with a few extra pieces of CF tape.

The other problem area in the warrior is where the rear fork meets the seatback. You might need something to brace there too...

Ticktock
09-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Hi,
TexasTuff is dead right---even 0.1 mph is all it takes to win any race!
And the frame is only there to keep the other parts in the right place--that's its only job.
You do feel the difference on a light bike on the flat, but weight really shows up on a trike on even a slight hill. Some of the boy racers here that speak English are amazed when I tell them that the only reason they can catch me on some parts of a road is because its up hill! They can't even see the hill, let alone feel it, until I point it out to them. Going the other way, I'm so far ahead they can't talk to me.
They are also amused that my tool bag weighs more than their bike--but love it when I can fix their broken chain!
Steve G

FrankCrank
09-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Hi Greg,

CF is becoming more and more popular as a bike material these days as we all know, not only for the frames, but components as well. Who knows, in a few years it may be the de facto material. I have no experience of it whatsoever, so can't offer any advice there. You mentioned bamboo also, and that is a very popular material around here for furniture and all sorts, and it's a very versatile, strong and lightweigt material. One thing though, it is prone to cracking. Even at the top end furniture stores over here, you often see bamboo with cracks opening up along the grain, but expect some research would show ways to avoid this.

Would love to see a homemade trike built in CF, or a CF/bamboo combo - good luck with your project - Frank.

Tradetek
09-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Interesting that bamboo comes up. Saw a bamboo bike being made on "How It's Made" on the Science channel one day. Here a couple of commercial builders:

Erba Cycles (http://www.erbacycles.com/)
Calfee Design (http://calfeedesign.com/bamboo/)

Bill

EmteeOh
09-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Would love to see a homemade trike built in CF, or a CF/bamboo combo - good luck with your project - Frank.

You know about this, right?
http://www.instructables.com/id/Building-a-Recumbent-Bamboo-Trike-Frame/

FrankCrank
09-21-2013, 04:03 AM
.....wow, never seen that one before, thanks for the link :). Based on the Warrior plans as well, wonder how it rides and performs? Imagine it would have some flex, which could be a good thing going over the ruff stuff.....

Ticktock
09-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Hi Frank, There is a Youtube clip about a bamboo/CF trike , and a couple about bamboo/CF two wheelers, so it has been done . Have not checked the figures, but I'm sure its correct, that bamboo has a higher tensile strength than steel. There may be some qualification on that, but I know its close!
It us used here often on any temporary (that means some permanent) concrete slabs here, instead of steel. works well, as its easier to break up with a Back hoe when its not needed.
And Inhave not seen cracks in a slab that I know has bamboo in it, whereas there are too many cracks in too much other concrete here!
Bamboo scaffolding I s used on all work below four floors in central China-, but I think there is a legal limit at the four, as I have not seen it above that so far. They do things with bamboo that could not be done with steel (we would not be allowed to do it) but having walked around on some of these structures at the trird floor, I was amazed at the security of the whole thing, and with no parachute.
But back to bikes--CF is going to be where glass fiber was a few years age---the thing to use, but by that time some Geek will have come up C2f4z1 as a better material!
And we will sit and discus C2f4z1 (yes I did check I got it right) while the same Geek is working on C3f4z1 (who looked for the difference?)
All the reports on CF say much the same---great stuff, but has some problems--so we have to learn how to use it. I have to find where I can get it, after I find someone who knows what it is!! Now if I was building a bamboo rickshaw it might be easier?????
Steve G