PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting on a Tomahawk Recumbent Lowracer

bikebuilder
08-31-2013, 12:52 PM
I have looked through various recumbent bike plans and have decided to try and build a Tomahawk Recumbent Lowracer. You guys should be happy as you have begged me to start building a recumbent. Especially you Ticktock. I have been hearing about plans that you can buy for this bike and other bike projects. How would I buy those plans and how much do they cost? I am a little concerned about the bottom bracket getting locked up when I weld it to the frame as this happened once When I tried to weld a bottom bracket to The Gearcycle. Are you guys going to be willing to help me out on this project? I don't know whether you guys are after I seem to be somewhat disliked after somewhat arguing on The Gearcycle.

TexasTuff
08-31-2013, 01:05 PM
That will make you a good go fast bike, bikebuilder
All the instructions will be with the plans. Just push the button above that says plans an it will take you to the order page. Prices will be displayed. You can get 6 plans for $36.00 but don't remember how much the individual plans are.
You will remove the cranks, axle and bearings from the bottom bracket before welding.

Time to begin collecting donor bikes from which to get your parts.

Good luck my friend.

George

HHJJ
08-31-2013, 02:17 PM
The plans will give you lots of tips and advice as will the tutorials (DIY Tutorials buttons)
People are leaving on the left screw in bit on the bottom bracket and protecting the threads on the right from welding splatter with aluminium foil.
It's just a question of including learning a bit more forum etiquette when posting in your learning curve and folk will be fine with you.
It's all part of the process.
Enjoy your build.

bikebuilder
08-31-2013, 03:22 PM
I was wondering how fast do you guys go on recumbents? I know that it would depend on different factors such as the type of recumbent, ride, terrain, etc, but how fast do you go on average. What is your average speed? Top speed?

MrIdaho
08-31-2013, 03:35 PM
For a good cheap source for "discontinued" but new bike parts index (http://bbbp.net/)
I found the rims I needed very reasonable including shipping.
As for speed, depends on gearing, physical fitness and wind resistance.
I need to look at the details for the Tomahawk Recumbent as I don't think I have the plans.

MrIdaho
08-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Ah yes that recumbent. Very nice looking bike but keep in mind that a recumbent has a learning curve to learn how to ride one. It's not like riding a standard upright bike. Your sense of balance is different but not hard to learn.
Good luck as this bike looks to be FAST

TexasTuff
08-31-2013, 04:19 PM
How fast do we ride recumbents? Depends on who you are. I have five friends in Florida that ride together at 18+ mph and in a paceline can cruise at 21/22 mph and get a mean streak and run down roadies faster than that, for a short while. The youngest is 65 and the oldest 73. Me, I ride almost everyday at about 10/12 mph and may hit 25/30 mph on some of the downhills. Anymore I seldom ride over 20 miles and most days I'm only riding about 10 miles. I'm 69. I don't know what some of these younger guys are going lie about.

Most speed records and endurance records are held by people riding recumbent bikes, streamliners and velomobiles.

HHJJ
08-31-2013, 04:41 PM
google - recumbent bike speed record

TexasTuff
08-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Here is the world's fastest hpv and the man who drove it. It happens to be a recumbent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQwpGLCAMm4

OOPS, grabbed the wrong link the first time.

darnthedog
08-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Free piece of advice on the plans. Before buying any materials, or cutting the first piece, or welding the pieces- Read the plans once straight through, don't take notes or stop to get something. Read them through. Then Rewind and read them a second time. Note mearsurements and parts and pieces your going to need. Then go get your materials. After that Follow the plans step by step. And before long you will go far faster than your gear cycle ever did. And faster than your regular bike did before it.

A second piece of advice- The plans are $16 something each but if you pick out 6 of your favorites there is a special or $36 which gets you plans pretty cheap. I have 19 sets of plans some of which I have through "The Evil Genius bike building bonanza". I plan to have all of them eventually. As they provide me with tons of ideas and help me understand how each design is build. You don't have to build them all. But you may see ideas to help you come up with others of your own.

Good luck to you.

Ticktock
08-31-2013, 09:17 PM
Suggest you drop the speed line for a while, and do a slow, steady, good build, then learn to ride it slow. Top speed later will be decided by your fitness, how good your welds are , and in my case , traffic lights! And please, for your own sake, for this first build, stick very close to the plans, ask about intended changes, and listen to advice. That way, you get a good bike.'
Top marks for the polite return, and welcome back to the new , better bikebuilder.
Steve G.
You have probably reaslised by now that the advice for six-pack is not a sales gimmick--its serious advice!

edspedalcars
08-31-2013, 11:02 PM
I have looked through various recumbent bike plans and have decided to try and build a Tomahawk Recumbent Lowracer. You guys should be happy as you have begged me to start building a recumbent. Especially you Ticktock. I have been hearing about plans that you can buy for this bike and other bike projects. How would I buy those plans and how much do they cost? I am a little concerned about the bottom bracket getting locked up when I weld it to the frame as this happened once When I tried to weld a bottom bracket to The Gearcycle. Are you guys going to be willing to help me out on this project? I don't know whether you guys are after I seem to be somewhat disliked after somewhat arguing on The Gearcycle.

bikebuilder

I know nothing that would help you, in your quest to make your high tech, precision engineered, Gearcycle.

However, per your request, "I learned an important lesson: bicycles need to be made with very high precision. I would appreciate knowing any place I could go to were I would be able to make this bicycle and other bicycles with very high precision. Do you know of any place? If so, please let me know."

I did some research, which may provide the high tech, knowledgeable, expertise, and possible resources that may be interested in your concept. There are many choices of companies which may be doing research and development, in the very area of bicycle building, which you are truly interested in.

I sincerely hope you are able to find within these sources, a company that can provide you with the resources needed to complete your, Gearcycle project.

The link: http://www.bicycle.net/resources/bicycle-manufacturer-directory

I wish you the best of luck

Ed

darnthedog
08-31-2013, 11:18 PM
I will quote here" there is no such thing as a stupid question with one exception- the one you did not ask"

It is however up to you to accept- reject- or even question any answer you are give.

Robots cannot build our creations without the hundreds of people to design and program it to do so.

However a robot can make a bad part perfectly if programmed improperly.

Friendship can be freely given and as easily lost. That does not mean we humans can't be friendly to one another. Nor does a friendship require to be declared to be there as Facebook, Twitter, or MySpace requires.

Feel free to accept or reject my advice- It was free advice so feel free to ignore.

I apologize it was not my intent to open the closed topic- I only meant to reference the speed of the Tomahawk.

bikebuilder
09-01-2013, 12:22 AM
bikebuilder

I know nothing that would help you, in your quest to make your high tech, precision engineered, Gearcycle.

However, per your request, "I learned an important lesson: bicycles need to be made with very high precision. I would appreciate knowing any place I could go to were I would be able to make this bicycle and other bicycles with very high precision. Do you know of any place? If so, please let me know."

I did some research, which may provide the high tech, knowledgeable, expertise, and possible resources that may be interested in your concept. There are many choices of companies which may be doing research and development, in the very area of bicycle building, which you are truly interested in.

I sincerely hope you are able to find within these sources, a company that can provide you with the resources needed to complete your, Gearcycle project.

The link: http://www.bicycle.net/resources/bicycle-manufacturer-directory

I wish you the best of luck

Ed

Thank you.

Ticktock
09-01-2013, 06:39 AM
Bike builder,
Please contact me privately at steveg@myself.com
Steve G

KoolKat
09-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Are you guys going to be willing to help me out on this project?

Help yourself first, then ask for assistance when you really get stuck. We are not about hand holding here; bike building is mainly self-directed learning, but we are here for support when you're trying to resolve a problem. You have to take the initiative. This community is about give and take. Those who continuously take will find that there are limits to how much help members will offer. Whining will not earn you any respect.

I don't know whether you guys are after I seem to be somewhat disliked after somewhat arguing on The Gearcycle.

After your ignorant remarks on that now deleted thread, you certainly have not earned any respect here.