PDA

View Full Version : sterring head length

shaggy
09-27-2013, 01:54 AM
does the length of the steering head make a difference? thinking bout getting a pair of kids bikes off craigs list. 2 identical bikes.

darnthedog
09-27-2013, 02:32 AM
It is what I have been using- check out my warrior photo which include the 12" wheeled Barbie bikes. Just got to be sure they are steel. On the warrior Brad has us cut them down a tad. Anyway enjoy the photos.

Ticktock
09-27-2013, 06:42 AM
In most cases heads tube length is not critical. On a Tadpole, the same either side looks good!
Steve G

shaggy
09-27-2013, 02:48 PM
so head length isnt super important then? im assuming the head tube will be in the park of like 4-5". they are Disney Toy Story Toddler Beginner Bikes with Training Wheels. 12" wheels i believe. gotta call on them in a few min. Jerry

darnthedog
09-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Sounds like the Barbie bikes I used. Be sure they are steel- Try a magnet to them see if it grabs it. I saw some at Walmart that were Aluminum and I saw a molded plastic one here a couple weeks ago. So just be sure they are steel. Actual length will not be an issue matching lengths just make it look even.

Twinkle
09-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Jerry

words of warning here
some of these childs bikes have a non standard fork tube size , if you are a hefty guy, it might be better to go for bmx or mountain bike 1" or a pair of threaded 1 1/8 tubes and forks , ref your other post
have a good weekend

emma

Tradetek
09-27-2013, 07:08 PM
I had received a toddler bike for free during my freecycle.org collections and the headtube was super thin, didn't use a regular headset (had bearing races formed into the tube) and didn't have a fork tube that worth using.

I definitely would not pay money for one...

Bill

Tradetek
09-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Just saw you mention your weight on another thread and would definitely recommend that you stay away from anything made for a younger child. Anything with a company logo is a good indicator for you to move along.

savarin
09-27-2013, 10:32 PM
a lot of those kiddie bikes also have plastic bushes instead of ball races. I would steer clear of them.

darnthedog
09-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Seriously- You need to look at them- My Barbie bikes where the same as head tube as on the 26" Mongoose Mountain bike. There may be some that are not suitable but I would check them out if cheap.
I know this as my steering tube was cut from a Mongoose for my steering tube. While there may be really cheap bikes with some real trash bearings. You need to look before disregarding.
My Barbie Bikes had Stainless Steel bearing and races. Not plastic and the tubing is 1.5 inches O.D so they fit nicely into the cross booms of my Warrior. So you really have to look to be sure.

So please do not just forget them. They maybe just fine for your usage despite the cargo to be hauled. But do check them out before using.

shaggy
09-28-2013, 11:41 AM
They were sold when i called on them. I got 2 identical bikes from the scrapyard. Started cutting them up already. Gunna get the pieces cleaned up so when my wheels show up i can move forward. Gunna get the tube this week. Id like to get her done, and on the road before the snow flys.