PDA

View Full Version : My first build

toddparr
10-05-2013, 02:03 PM
So I bought 12 sets of plans, cuz they all look awesome :) I've decided on the Tomahawk for my first build and the Warrior or Streetfox for the next one. I've read thru a bunch of plans, and my only concern with this one may have been alleviated had I ever ridden a recumbent, but I haven't. I read the section about crank to front wheel interference several times. I understand how that has to go, but I'm concerned that the front tire will still hit my feet, even if the crank has clearance. Am I missing something? BTW, let me apologize in advance if this has been covered before, I didn't see anything about it.

Thanks for any info, Todd

Twinkle
10-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Welcome to the Zombie Crew

apart from my 3 trikes ( 2 street foxes I built the voyageur ( a long wheelbase recumbent )
the amount you need to turn the wheel is minimal and 2 " left or right is probably the most you will need to turn the wheel in normal use and if the plan is followed you shouldn't have a problem .

The only problem I have found was and still is the transition between stopped and going .

Don't have a problem starting off down hill but my cheeks have gravel rash from the last level ground start , I think my voyageur is going to become a trike:taz:. unless I motorize it .

regards emma

darnthedog
10-05-2013, 02:42 PM
toddparr
Did you check out the video Brad made of the Tomahawk?
It is on the right side of the plans details page.
I suspect because you lean into a turn with this bike the actual turning of the wheel is very minimal thus the tire issue is not an issue. But check it out on the plan details page.
Welcome to the group and with 12 set of plans your off to a great start on a fun hobby and entertainment.

TexasTuff
10-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Hi Todd

Heel strike is a concern in low speed tight turns on a SWB bike. With some practice you will learn to ratchet the pedals in tight slow turns instead of pedaling in a full circle. Heel strike is an annoyance, pedal strike is a real danger. Make sure you adjust your cranks so they clear the front wheel in tight turns.

:laugh3: Of course on a Tomahawk Lowracer you will never go slow so it's not a problem. :laugh3:

George

Ticktock
10-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Heel strike is a nuisance-tends to pull your shoe off. But pedal strike makes sure you fall off quick!
All the previous advice is correct. But if you build carefully, you will have no problems.
Steve G,
Beijing

toddparr
10-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I spent a good part of yesterday trying to teach myself to weld. After several hours of work, I have the first rear fork built :) I'm pretty sure my first build will be a little crude, but I'm really looking forward to getting to ride a bike I built myself.

DannyC
10-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Todd,

That's fantastic progress.

We demand pictures however....;-)

It is part of the AZ culture it seems for everyone to show their step-by-step progress (if they are willing).

And, if you are having problems with technique or something odd, then pictures get you the help you need really fast.

The AZ community really "rocks" when it comes to sharing knowledge and the guys and girls here are really helpful.

Enjoy your build.

Regards,

Dan.