PDA

View Full Version : Looking for low cost Bottom Brackets

PaulPb
10-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Any recommendations for low cost Bottom Brackets (39.7mm O.D.x 69mm) - (38.1mm O.D. x 68mm) - 38.1mm O.D. x73mm wide) ?

DannyC
10-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Errrrr....... the ones AZ sell perhaps?;-)

http://www.atomiczombie.com/BBRAC%20Steel%20Bottom%20Bracket.aspx

Regards,

Dan.

Twinkle
10-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Any recommendations for low cost Bottom Brackets (39.7mm O.D.x 69mm) - (38.1mm O.D. x 68mm) - 38.1mm O.D. x73mm wide) ?

Would help us if we Knew where you were as there is no location on your posting .

regards

darnthedog
10-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Location-Location-Location means everything. I could tel you to go to Goodwill and get a used bike. But then you may be in Russia and have not idea what a Goodwill is.
As Danny posted Brad and Kat sell them. You can also google Bicycle tubing supply to see if you have a supplier local to you. But mostly we recycle Bottom brackets from used bicycles as is demostrated in the plans and on the Tutorials pages.

PaulPb
10-17-2013, 11:37 AM
not the bottom bracket shell - the mechanical parts (the bottom bracket) - I have found good shells for cheap - I'm a bit confused about the bottom bracket parts - I have recently seen them online for $10.00 and upward - there not all the same size and there are different types - online I've been seeing alot of the 'cartrige type' (instead of the older cups bearings and spindle type) - who sells them?

darnthedog
10-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Where in the world are you? It is hard to recommend where to look unless we have at least a global location. I go some cartridge from my local bike shop- But I plan to replace it with a Schlumpf High speed drive that I plan to purchase from Utahtrikes.com. But Amazon has them as well as ebay and many other online locations. And again you can recycle from old used bikes.

DannyC
10-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Ahhhh......

Well, if you already have a standard Bottom-bracket shell then just about any cartridge bearing meant for a standard 68mm and 24TPI inch threaded shell will work fine.
They come in varying spindle lengths so you can buy exactly what you want (within the ranges available.).

Enjoy your build.

Regards,

Dan.

PaulPb
10-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Here's a better more detailed question - these are the specks I got on shells (39.7mm O.D.x 69mm) - (38.1mm O.D. x 68mm) - 38.1mm O.D. x73mm wide) - now what I found on bottom brackets is (68 X 117.5 - 68 x 123 - 68 x 110mm - 68 x 113mm - 68x 122mm - 68 x 127.5 mm) or (73 x 113 mm - 73 x 110 - 73 x 122.5 ) So I'm a bit confused about ( the O.D. # 38.1mm ) !?which sizes match up or fit together?

FrankCrank
10-17-2013, 10:18 PM
...hey fella, do yourself a big favour and update your location in your profile!

As Dan already stated, overwhelming majority of shells are 68mm and 24TPI, if not 73mm and 24TPI.

BB axle lengths vary in order to get correct chain alignment, ie single speed, 5 speed, 18 speed 27 speed etc. When replacing the one on your bike you measure the axle of the old one and replace with same or near same length. On a recumbent the BB axle length is of little importance due to the much longer chain run, so maybe just go for a mid range and it should be fine. Recommend you go for newer cartridge type as they are maintenance free, and basic ones are cheap too...

Tradetek
10-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Since you are not asking "where" to buy a bottom bracket, but instead recommendations on which models will be a good choice, it is going to cut down a lot of back and forth if you read up on bottom bracket sizing on sheldonbrown.com (http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom) which should give you the info that you need to determine what size bottom bracket you need, then you will be able to look for the cheapest option using whatever shopping sites/stores in your area of the world.

Bill

PaulPb
10-18-2013, 10:21 AM
hows this look ? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IOW41U/ref=asc_df_B001IOW41U2772086?smid=A16QDZ1XG7GVFM&tag=nextagusmp0382303-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001IOW41U and what shell does it fit in?

DannyC
10-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Paul,

If you look at the Amazon item drop-down list you will see that it is available for both 73mm AND 68mm Bottom bracket shells and a range of "width's/spindle lengths" for either shell size.

You need to select the one you want that fits your shell (68mm shell OR 73mm shell) and the width you want to use. The cartridges are universal within the same family (68mm Shell OR 73mm Shell) all that differs is the length of the spindles.

You match the cartridge to the shell so that when fully tightened into the shell the bearing is securely fastened for years of maintenance free cycling.

Regards,

Dan.

PaulPb
10-18-2013, 10:53 AM
yeah I know - my question is : - (68 X 117.5 - 68 x 123 - 68 x 110mm - 68 x 113mm - 68x 122mm - 68 x 127.5 mm) - what is the O.D. # 38.1mm in correlation to 117.5, 123, 110, 113, 122, 127.5 mm's ?

Tradetek
10-18-2013, 11:15 AM
There is no correlation. The outside diameter of a shell is for framebuilders and is simply a measure of the outer size of the BB shell, and also ties to the thickness of the shell wall.

The second number in the size 100+ mm is the length of the axle and affected by your personal build, crankset selection, personal biomechanics. Etc.

Did you read the link that I gave you?

Bill

PaulPb
10-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the info - I'm glad I have some to call on the phone to better explain to me about the bottom bracket and shells I need to purchase (to clear up my confusion) - I did just read your link about you Autisic son - everybody poops it's nothing to be ashamed of - (be thankful he doesn't have a bowel disease) - I'll send you my good/positive healing energy (hopefully that helps in some way) - with my own problems (which I don't want to tell you what they are or publish them) I have had miraculous results with holistic health - and disastrous results with modern medicine. (emergency medicine/drugs - obviously can save your life - in an emergency situation - but can cause terrible problems in the treatment of chronic illness's) - my own experience lead me to discover that perscrirtion medication can do more harm then good, for certain illness's (when they could be treated with diet, exercise holistic therapies etc.) - Actually I heard a story (of a child in my family who has some form of autisim) who's condition improved greatly by eliminating Sugar from their diet. - This is just for your information (I'm not a doctor) - hopefully it helps you in some way. Peace - Best regards; Paul

Tradetek
10-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks Paul and glad to hear that you were able to find someone who can talk to about the BB. Sometimes it is really difficult to help in a forum simply because the messages don't have the ability to pick up on the behavioral clues that help two people understand each other and figure out the real source of the confusion is.

As for my son, the issue that you saw with sugars and what not is the result of a sensitivity to carbs, gluten, and or casein. The side effects of these bowel issues can cause behaviors that are similar to someone with Asperger's Syndrome which is on the autism spectrum. Unfortunately our son's condition is not a result of these sensitivies (he's been evaluated for them) and he is on the significant end of the spectrum. Additionally he had been diagnosed with autism before his first MMR vaccine, so it is also not a result of that either.

Thanks for reading the blog, you can't believe how thankful a set of parents can be over something like poop ;) Planning to do some more blog entries soon.

Have a good one,

Bill

keith1066
06-26-2014, 04:56 PM
I found a resource for head tubes and bottom brackets, they can be found at http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/index.php/bicycle-frame-building-components
I hope this helps. they may even be able to make the FDAX34 Trike Axle Disc Brake and Freewheel Adapter.