PDA

View Full Version : mounting a rear rack

shaggy
10-18-2013, 01:07 AM
what has everyone done for the front mount for a rear rack?

Jerry

DannyC
10-18-2013, 05:44 AM
Hi Jerry,

I forgot which bike you were building so this may not be appropriate for your build...........

My bike is a StreetFox and as it is suspended and the rear triangle moves in relation to the main frame member et-al you can only really mount the ""stay/s" to the rear triangle too.
I used a universal mounting kit from my local UK supplier of my rack (http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/blackburn-blackburn-ex-hardware-universal-fitting-kit-ex-sx-csr-prod1268/) and curved two stays to form the required support.
[img=http://s5.postimg.org/m1f38xoir/P1010570.jpg] (http://postimg.org/image/m1f38xoir/)

As you can probably see, the end of the support is bolted through the fender/mudguard brake-bolt hole in the rear triangle.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan.

shaggy
10-18-2013, 12:28 PM
sure does, and thanks for replying. im building a street fox as well. cool beans i can make a strut to support the front of the rack similar to yours. thanks for posting the pic too. gotta love the members here! its like being with family.

shaggy
10-18-2013, 01:05 PM
it looks like you are using a aluminum tube to handle slack in the return run of chain. isn't that rather noisy?

DannyC
10-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Ahhhhh....

That chain return was Mk1 and was plastic trunking, but was (as you suggest) wayyyyy too noisy.
The MK2 is slick and silent PVC pipe, flared at both ends and mounted in a "floating" fashion with Zip ties in both vertical and horizontal directions (the vertical zip-ties allow for 1.3 - 2.0 inches of vertical movement and act as "rails" on which the horizontal zip-ties run.

It seems to work very well (so far).

Regards,

Dan.

shaggy
10-19-2013, 10:38 PM
i think ill be using the chain cage from a old rear derailleur, but still open for other types of chain management. so many things that still need to be done, and its starting to get cold. that means pain.

shaggy
10-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Danny C

Will a single bar from the front of the rack really be enough support? Ill be putting my work backpack on it. It weighs At times the better part of 50 pounds. i have a 9 mile 1 way ride to work, and dont want it to twist. Ill be using a... i think its 3/8 square tube with a t bar welded then bolted to the rack, and a tab at the break support. Id think that should be stiff enough. Whats your thoughts?

Tradetek
10-22-2013, 01:33 AM
Jerry, which trike are you building?

I think that what you are suggesting should be enough, but I'm not sure what is connecting where because I don't see a reference to what you are building.

All through college I rode about 10 miles each way to school on my MTB with all my books, and frequently camera equipment strapped to the rack. I used side panniers in addition to a camera back on the rack though so my weight was pretty well distributed across the rack, but wouldn't be surprised if my load approached 50 pounds frequently and I never had a problem.

Bill

Twinkle
10-22-2013, 04:52 AM
A word of WARNING
Hi Folks
I fitted a rack to the etrike to carry the 4x 12v 7 ah batteries and fitted a very nice " saddlebag " to hide the batteries from view , approximate weight was 11.5 kgs ( 25 lb )
mounted on the rack ( photo in my gallery just click on the avatar ) The batteries were about at head height , at that height the trike was UNSTABLE at speeds above 15 mph and when hitting potholes and on executing a u-turn in the road actually threw me off the trike and put the trike on its side , Panniers low down from the rack Yes ok , running a trailer is more like it .

The front mounts for a rack can be fitted to the brake mounts using longer screws , Its an ideal mounting point

The new VOYAGER e-trike currently under construction from my modified voyageur bike will be OVER 2 inches lower to ensure the CG is much lower than the trex I am riding currently , even the batteries 4 x 12ah on this new beastie are almost 4 inches lower than the trex and I have increase the track to give a bit more stability although I have reduced the wheelbase to 43 inches , Although I am about 160 lbs and the trike weighs (voyageur guestimate 120 lbs trex is 105lbs ) I prefer this weight to be as low slung as possible .
Now I am off the sort the new cross beam out . photos soon on another thread

regards emma

Tradetek
10-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Interesting point Emma. I guess depending on the plan you are using as a base point, you may need to make modifications if you plan to carry a load and adjust where the COG will be, similar to the Timber Wolf and Lode Runner's.

Another good reason to buy multiple plans...

Bill

Tradetek
10-22-2013, 09:34 AM
BTW Emma, love your edit comment: "smelling mistake..."

Bill

DannyC
10-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Hi Jerry,

If your are loading the rack with c.50Lbs then the single strip like I have on my rack would be inadequate I would think.
When braking the weight would try to keep on moving forwards and just bend/fold the strip.

If you are contemplating heavy loads I would think a more rigid support is in order.
Perhaps 2 formed tubes or rods between the forward edge of the rack (or the rack's frame) extending down to the top stays of the rear triangle would be best.

Bearing in mind Emma's point about the COG of the bike overall of course.
The problem with the Fox is that it presents limited opportunities to stow stuff, although you could extend the frame behind the seat to provide a low-down stowage space.

Regards,

Dan.

ChadClancy
10-22-2013, 01:31 PM
For a heavier load, I would want the support at the front to be quite a bit beefier and if possible, running straight (as opposed to a curved path) from the front of the rack to the brake bolt support. I think a piece of half inch EMT conduit would be one possible alterative. Just weld on a couple of tabs at the end and bolt it in place.

shaggy
10-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Ok first off im building a street fox. Bout half done now.

I have a 36" piece of 3/8-1/2" ( not sure witch at the moment) id be using to mount the front of the rack. Ive also concidered making a panner rack. No flat rack top. I have a set of panners. I also have 2 spair racks. Concidering making a mount for a front bag that i have. I also have a single wheeled trailer i could use.