PDA

View Full Version : parking break

shaggy
10-19-2013, 11:44 AM
What are you using for a parking break lever? Im thinking Of using a friction shifter with a extra side pull break on the rear wheel.

I gotta add a washer somewhere on the frame to lock it up. Probably gunna need a extra cable lock for the front wheels. Wait a min. I can go threw the triangle as usual.

Jerry

TexasTuff
10-19-2013, 11:52 AM
I just squeeze the brake handle and put a wrap of Velcro around the handle. Holds like a champ and very lo tech.

Twinkle
10-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Thats what I did on the etrike BUT you need a good friction lever with good friction not a plastic lever .I tend to put it on with my foot as I leave the trike .

BTW I use a standard steel rear rack with new brackets mounted to bring it closer to the rear wheel and mount off the rear brake mounts

regards emma

shaggy
10-19-2013, 09:48 PM
never thought about velcro. sometimes lo teck is high teck. i think thats the way ta go for me. plus it stores any where!

Ticktock
10-20-2013, 07:22 AM
I just push a wire pin thru the gap in the lever when its pulled on tight . Pin hangs on a zip tie loop when not being used. Works on either brake lever if the loop is big enough.
steve G.
beijing

Tradetek
10-20-2013, 02:09 PM
I have these bookmarked in my "wish list" on Amazon: Pyramid Tech Seven Locking Brake Lever Set (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO5IYO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000AO5IYO&linkCode=as2&tag=inm06-20)

shaggy
10-20-2013, 07:53 PM
those are nice, but im going to be using trigger shifters, and they have built in break levers. ill have to look and see if i could use a pin as Tictock brought up.

Ticktock
10-20-2013, 08:56 PM
There is a thread about this on the forum. If you use the pin idea, just adjust the cable until there is just enough room form the pin to go through when the lever is pulled firmly--it will then hold the bike still on most hills.
You may have to juggle with the cable length, but it is a simple way to get a parking break, and also makes nit harder for a thief to get going quick, as its its not so easy to see why it won't move!
Steve G

shaggy
10-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Pin idea. Never herd that on the other forums im on. Is it in the street fox roo.?

Ticktock
10-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Hi Shaggy,
No its not on any AZ plan.
Just pull the front brake lever, and look for a gap (or a hole on some levers) where there is room to push a wire pin through, push in pin, release lever and it grips the pin, and if adjusted properly, the brake is locked on. To release, squeeze lever, pull pin, count to ten and throw---sorry, wrong forum---pull pin, and ride away.
Use a cord loop or zip tie on the bars to prevent loosing the pin (or carry a pocket full of pins).
Steve G
Beijing

shaggy
10-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Probably going to use a velcro strap. I have a big roll of it already. I use it to secure batteries in my rc plains, and helicopters.

ChadClancy
10-23-2013, 10:21 AM
never thought about velcro. sometimes lo teck is high teck. i think thats the way ta go for me. plus it stores any where!

I use a heavy rubber bracelet that I can stretch over the brake handle for a parking brake. Works well and couldnt be simpler.

shaggy
10-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Thats a great idea as well. I got a few of them somewhere. Ill have tp look for them.