PDA

View Full Version : Hard to rip apart a new bike

Bunk
07-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Well I have been waiting and waiting to find an old bike with rear suspension so I can start my two builds, Street Fox trike and the Marauder. Only problem is that I can not find a rear tree for the builds. So now it looks like I will just go and buy a cheap Walmart "NEXT" bike to use. But for me it's hard to tear apart a new bike even if it's a cheap old Walmart bike. This spring I picked up a few kids bikes during the spring clean up. All you do is put your junk on the curb and the city picks it up. So when I saw one I could use I would grab it. The clean up goes on only for a week or two. The problem is there are people who just drive around to pick up all the scrap metal they can find. Most of the time it's old bikes. One day I saw a truck just heaping with bikes and there was no way I could stop because I was travelling out of town at the time. Well they take them to the local scrap yard for $$$. I will have to give them a call and see if they have any old bikes piled up. I have a feeling most of the bikes are crushed by now. I have also been checking local rummage sales and no luck. I was going to put a wanted ad in the local paper but it was like $25 for 4 days and I might not get anything. I would rather put that $25 toward a Walmart bike instead. Hopefully I can find some soon.

I might just go get a Walmart bike in the next day or so (company gave me a $30 Walmart gift card today and also a pretty big bonus last week) So I guess the time is right but I still hate chopping up a new bike.

Kyle

robertwb70
07-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Have you tried the local dump, goodwill, habit for humanity, and scrap metal recyclers?

and put out the word to everyone you know that if they see any bikes on the side of the road (or where ever) to pick them up for you or at least let you know where they are.

Pagan Wizard
07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Also try eBay, craigslist and freecycle.

Bunk
07-16-2008, 11:27 AM
I have been looking at ebay and craiglist in my area has nothing (Upper Peninsula of Michigan). I will do a quick search on freecycle.

Kyle

gbbwolf
07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
AWW
Ripping apart a new bike is easy.
Come here buy me a new bike.
And I will show you how to chop it into pieces.
I won't even bat an eye before my sawzall rips it apart.

I will even say a prayer for the DEAD, "Sorry new bicycle you had way too short a life, but you are about to be reborn just like *****, and will rise from the dead in the form of my new marauder or streetfox Amen".

Nelson

gbbwolf
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey too bad you ain't in indiana.
Cause I just read of a street dept. auction 20 mins from my house.
It is tommorow at 4pm Est.

They have over 100+ bicycles in the auction.

Nelson

Richie Rich
07-16-2008, 04:55 PM
The quickest way to find a bike in the trash that has exactly what you want, is to buy a new one. I guarantee that the next day you'll find one along the side of the road.

It works every time....

.......<RR>......

Bunk
07-16-2008, 05:00 PM
RR,
I hope that's true because I need two of the them for my builds. (Marauder and Steet Fox):rolleyes:

The quickest way to find a bike in the trash that has exactly what you want, is to buy a new one. I guarantee that the next day you'll find one along the side of the road.

It works every time....

.......<RR>......

(I will even say a prayer for the DEAD, "Sorry new bicycle you had way too short a life, but you are about to be reborn just like *****, and will rise from the dead in the form of my new marauder or streetfox Amen".)

Nelson,

That quote of yours was too funny, especially "the way too short life". When I read it I had a big smile on my face to keep from laughing and a coworker walked by and stopped to say "Why the big smile?":)

Kyle

gbbwolf
07-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Yeah I think that will be my new tagline soon as I figure out how to get it down there.

Glad I could make someone laugh today.

And your welcome.

Nelson:)

robertwb70
07-17-2008, 12:28 AM
They have over 100+ bicycles in the auction.
Nelson

They do that here too, way more than 100 bikes though and they auction them in lots of 50 or 100 CHEAP, but what the heck is one guy going to do with 50 bikes?

Actually I know one answer to that question-some guy in Orlando bought up several hundred (780?) of them and keeps a running ad on craigslist for $25-50 bikes, but that's more than I am willing to pay.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/736891091.html

gbbwolf
07-17-2008, 12:47 AM
last auction I went to they sold bikes and they went cheap some as low as 3 bucks most i seen one sell for was 30.

gbbwolf
07-18-2008, 11:32 PM
These people were stupid a walmart full suspension bike sold for 135 bucks.
Brand new at walmart it is 189.
Most bikes went for 35 to 80 bucks.
I got the one bike for 25 and it was last bike to sell.
Picture is in my other thread.

Nelson

Bunk
07-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Yesterday a coworker mentioned he saw a bike at our local St Vincent Depaul store for $50. He said it was the type of bike I was looking for but wasn't sure if it was a 24" or 26". I went to check it out and it was a 24" and they wanted $50. If it was 26" I probably would have picked it up. But for only $40 more I could get a new one at Wally World (Walmart).

Kyle

schu777
10-27-2009, 03:44 PM
What about pawn shops? You might find something there that is cheaper than a new walmart bike...

darwin-t
10-30-2009, 07:15 PM
I looked at Walmart the other day and they have bikes with rear suspension for $96. One pawn shop in town had two - one for $40, the other was $60. I'd rather buy a new one one order to get new wheels, tires, derailers, etc. That's what I plan to do this winter.

Sparky
11-03-2009, 12:09 AM
did anyone notice the last post on this thread was 7-22-2008?

:D

davec8656
01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
I was blessed by a coworker who gave me a complete 26", rear suspended, mountain type bike that he got for nothing and didn't ride anymore. Just what I needed. Around here flea markets and garage sales are popular places to find used bikes. I checked craigslist once and 2 different ads were giving away 3 to 5 used bikes for anyone who would just go get them. The bikes are out there, just gotta find them. I picked up a 24 and a 26 solid frame mountain bikes at a garage sale for $15 for both. Many folks just want their garage cleared out. Be blessed, DaveC

Radical Brad
01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
When it comes time to hack it all up....

http://www.atomiczombie.com/ct-bikehacking.html

Brad

John Lewis
01-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Well I never worry about hacking a cheapie. Did worry me a bit though when my mate asked me to cut up his good Giant roadie to make him a TE Clone. He reckons it's the best bike he has ever had.

Regarding suspension rear ends. I needed one for my Marauder. I did a hack and made it myself. You can see how I did it in the Now its a Marauder thread. Guess what. No sooner I had finished it than I was given two rear suspensions. One is in very good condition the other not so. I think my Hack worked out better though.

John Lewis

Ivyl
01-27-2010, 10:54 AM
he-larious time gaps in this thread! My new favorite source for bikes here in Boulder is Community Cycles, our local co-op. They have everything a hacker could ever want. I've started volunteering for them, and they've been very cool about indulging my unusual requests. They also have a recycle bin out back where they throw lots of good stuff they can't use. Old Steel frames, cheap-o CrapMart frames, etc. And, except for a welder, they have every tool you could ever need. Very cool folks!

fultondp
01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Where's it at? I'm thinking we may have to schedule a meeting of the Colorado local AZ members to check it out and meet each other face to face. Bring your welder and I'll help you work on those tandem welds that are giving you grief. How's Saturday look?

Darren

taytayou812
01-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Let me know when and where, I'd love to meet you all too. I'm in Centennial, off Arapahoe and University. How many of us are there here in Colorado? Any body know?
But it would be fun to meet and get to know any that are willing to get together. What do you guys think? -Taylor-

Ivyl
01-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Here's the website for Community Cycles:
http://communitycycles.org/

I'm trying to volunteer there on a regular basis Fridays 3pm-6pm. Might be a little far for you guys to make it a regular thing, but volunteering there once a week and getting to know the staff is a great way to gain access to some parts and tools.

This saturday is no good for me, and I think community cycles might be closed for renovations this saturday anyways. Getting the local hackers together some night would be fun though. Maybe a couple weeks, so I can have more to show off.

Bunk
03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Walmart "Next" mountain bike has been purchased and is in the middle of being disassembled. Fourteen feet of 1-1/2" square tubing is now in my garage. The marauder build if finally starting!

Kyle

davec8656
03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Great news Kyle, it is really exciting seeing it all come together. My steel supplier is right up the road from where I work and he wants pictures when it is done. I can hardly wait. Just friday evening I finished assembling the seat, welded the reinforcements to the side of the frame, welded the tabs for bolting the seat on. I decided to use T-bolts to attach the seat, thought it would be a bit more sturdy. I purchased a partial plank of black polythelene closed cell foam from an on-line outfit in Michigan called Foam for You. Should be enough for several seats. Keep us posted, man this is fun. Blessings!! DaveC:sunny: