PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start soon

LO2W
11-28-2013, 09:48 AM
My girlfriend introduced me to a local welder/fabricator that teaches welding out of the local maker space. He's going to do 1-on-1 private welding class with me and loves the idea of using the AZ 'bent as my learning project.

As I'm getting stuff together, a few thoughts/questions:

1) I'm building the bike with an eye towards commuting and car replacement. I love you can run multiple racks on a 'bent in a more stable way than a DF. I would love to run a rear rack and an underseat rack. How possible is this on this particular plan?

2) Any thoughts on a dual 650b setup? I have a wheel set from a 3 speed project. The front wheel is a Sturmey Archer dynamo/drum brake I would love to use and redoing the rear with a more appropriate hub and gear combo.

darnthedog
11-28-2013, 10:31 AM
If your talking a Spirit Bike I would avoid an underseat basket as it would interfer with standing up or possibly just operating the cycle. Your Chain line runs down there as well. The Spirit would make a great first project. The 650b wheel is really just an oversized 26" wheel. Sort of like the 29"r are nothing more than an over sized 700C tire. And I have seen a 2 wheeled 26 inch Spirit project already. He may have even used 27 inch wheels. I don't recall. As to a rack on back of the Spirit that has also been done. Although I don't recall whom did either of those projects. So the modification your looking to do are possible. You'll just have to adjust to them.

A couple question for curiousity sake- How much of a load are you looking to carry? How far are you going to commute and under what type of conditions? Hilly-flat- path or Street? You may also want to consider a trike to build up and add a body for foul weather riding. I hate riding in any form of rain or cold. So I'm work on a Timberwolf to carry my work cloths and lunch. Plan to enclose a body on it. It is not very far along yet. I'll be using 29" rear wheels as I hope to travel a bit faster than my max 21mph on my upwrong I ride now.

LO2W
11-28-2013, 10:42 AM
If your talking a Spirit Bike I would avoid an underseat basket as it would interfer with standing up or possibly just operating the cycle. Your Chain line runs down there as well. The Spirit would make a great first project. The 650b wheel is really just an oversized 26" wheel. Sort of like the 29"r are nothing more than an over sized 700C tire. And I have seen a 2 wheeled 26 inch Spirit project already. He may have even used 27 inch wheels. I don't recall. As to a rack on back of the Spirit that has also been done. Although I don't recall whom did either of those projects. So the modification your looking to do are possible. You'll just have to adjust to them.

A couple question for curiousity sake- How much of a load are you looking to carry? How far are you going to commute and under what type of conditions? Hilly-flat- path or Street? You may also want to consider a trike to build up and add a body for foul weather riding. I hate riding in any form of rain or cold. So I'm work on a Timberwolf to carry my work cloths and lunch. Plan to enclose a body on it. It is not very far along yet. I'll be using 29" rear wheels as I hope to travel a bit faster than my max 21mph on my upwrong I ride now.

Day to day load would be under 15-20lbs. Work at a rec center so we're looking at thermos of coffee, lunch/snacks, uniform and not much else plus tube/patch it, lock, emergency rain gear etc. Outside of that light grocery runs, would use a trailer for anything heavier.

Looking to move closer to take advantage of the bike path. Commute would be 6-12 miles one way, mostly on path. Once the trail finishes, it opens up more living options and potentially more miles.

Here's a good example of what I would like to do with dual racks:

www.hpvelotechnik.com/images/produkte/ghp/HP_GrassHopperFx_tour_ErgoMeshSitz_rechts.jpg (http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/images/produkte/ghp/HP_GrassHopperFx_tour_ErgoMeshSitz_rechts.jpg)