PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Cycle seat woes.

DannyC
12-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Today my replacement seat from Ocean Cycles arrived.
The original was returned to them because it had visible cracks/splits across both rear ribs.
I carefully opened the packaging only to find that this seat has exactly the same damage as its predecessor to one of the ribs.
Indeed the area around the fracture is so thin it is possible to depress the rib at this point with light to moderate finger pressure so I am not surprised that it has cracked/fractured.

http://s5.postimg.org/8xk1s9plv/OC_Seat_crack.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/8xk1s9plv/)

I am so surprised that simple post-production checks for robustness would not have called out the weakness prior to packing and shipment.

I am somewhat disappointed. If it is this weak, what would happen when a recumbent rider is really putting some pressure on the seat during riding?

As I have already paid for the seat plus a further 12 for the return of the last faulty one I am inclined not to be paying any more and may ask for my money back if I do not get a satisfactory response.

Regards,

Dan.

TexasTuff
12-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Dan, was there any damage to the package? I hope you paid with paypal, they will be on your side.

ChadClancy
12-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Any company that makes you pay the return shipping for a faulty product probably isn't worth dealing with.

Twinkle
12-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Any company that makes you pay the return shipping for a faulty product probably isn't worth dealing with.

Surely if it is FAULTY you will be compensated for the return carriage..

regards emma

DannyC
12-04-2013, 05:41 PM
The seller packages these seats by simply wrapping cardboard tightly around them and them mummifying the resultant banana shape in parcel tape.

Hi folks,

To answer the questions posed.

There was no external sign of crush damage to the package, not the first time, nor this time.
The seller asked for direct bank xfer rather than paypal, so I have no paypal protection I am afraid.

I guess I must trust to the honesty of the seller in this matter.

I am not keen on paying to return this second faulty item at all.

Regards,

Dan.

sandman
12-05-2013, 02:52 AM
The seller packages these seats by simply wrapping cardboard tightly around them and them mummifying the resultant banana shape in parcel tape.

Hi folks,

To answer the questions posed.

There was no external sign of crush damage to the package, not the first time, nor this time.
The seller asked for direct bank xfer rather than paypal, so I have no paypal protection I am afraid.

I guess I must trust to the honesty of the seller in this matter.

I am not keen on paying to return this second faulty item at all.

Regards,

Dan.
Morning Dan,
Plainly the manufacturing is faulty and your seat is not fit for purpose, so I think you should be entitled to a full refund, however maybe there is a higher force, telling you to make a mesh seat for your Streetfox !!!! far more comfortable IMO.
regards
John

Tradetek
12-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately, most eBay sellers make the buyer pay return shipping even if the product is defective (a lot of regular on-line e-tailers do too) in which case your best course of action is to contact the seller and politely tell them that they need to send you a return shipping label, or you'll simply keep the product and leave an honest feedback score with links to photos showing the packaging and damage, and let buyers beware that the seller forced you to pay return shipping even for a defective product that was poorly packaged.

You can also try opening a dispute with eBay which will force them to respond. But do all this quickly so that your return period does not expire.

Bill

FrankCrank
12-05-2013, 10:12 AM
+1 for what Bill says about opening a dispute with eBay. Bought an item on last trip to UK, cut a long story short never received the goods. Ebay ruled in my favour and full refund given to me. Last thing Ebay want is a bad reputation.........

TexasTuff
12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
I think for the most part that Ocean Cycles is a respected dealer. This does look like they have let down on the quality control. I think a phone call would be in order and the fact that they have shipped you a faulty product twice I'll bet they make good on it. They manufacture a beautiful velomobile, I hope they have better quality control for it. The tailbox they they sell is really cool also.
I guess as a last resort you could threaten to leave a bad review on all the recumbent forums. I hope they resolve the issue quickly. But I would first give them a call and the opportunity to do right.

DannyC
12-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Hi Folks,

I have received a call from Marcin @ Ocean Cycles regarding my problem and they have been exceedingly charming about everything.

1. They apologise profusely for the problem.
2. They will manufacture me a new seat and ensure it is checked for quality before dispatch (we discussed the recurring fault in some depth).
3. If I provide my banking details they will refund all of my additional costs directly.

As anticipated by many of you, they are indeed a reputable outfit and are behaving in a wholly professional manner, which is always good to have confirmed.

My Dad always used to say (and I have reiterated this to my boys)....
"It's not how you are treated at time of sale that counts son, (they will all "woo you" when there's a chance to get money from you)..
....it's how they treat you when it all goes wrong, that's the measure of a good company".

Regards,

Dan.

darnthedog
12-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Good to hear when a good company back up their product once they understand the issue.
Glad to hear they are going to resolve the problem. Hopefully they will look into how such an occurrence occurred and correct the issue.

Twinkle
12-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Nice to hear that all should be well in the end
regards emma

Ticktock
12-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Hi Danny,
to add to that bit about a good company. Your approach helps a lot. In the words of a very wise Indian Chief I had the honour to work with----"The man has to want to help you--even when it is his fault!"
Steve G
Perhaps I should tell the story that goes with those words.
I had bought a wheel bearing for my old motor bike, and it lasted one whole day! I was , understandably, a bit annoyed, and said I was going to have "stern" words with the shop.
Running Deer stopped me, and said "No, you will tell the man what happened--the man must want to help you!" Even at 17 , I did listen tomthis wise old man.
So I went to then shop, quietly put the bearing on the counter, and said "I bought this yester-----" when stopped by "the man" who said "what, here? " Answered "yes"
He threw the bearing in the garbage bin, and said " Sorry, this is a dud batch--you should not have been given this " and gave me another new bearing. Feeling a lot happier, I returned to the office.
Running Deer gave me that question look, and asked what happened. I simply answered, "The man wanted to help" . End of a good story with a good lesson. It has helped me get results so many times I have lost count