PDA

View Full Version : Novice from Yakima, WA area- lotsa questions

Seesquare
01-19-2014, 11:23 PM
OK, I built a tadpole from 2 old 24" bikes, from a set of simple plans. Supposed to be a coaster-brake, single speed. Well, couldn't have that! Embarked on some real interesting modifications, and now it is (marginally) functioning with about 9-of-21-possible speeds, given the cable & derailleur issues. Reasonably successful, so I figured I would invest in a good set of plans, and bought the Quadfighter.
First off, after reading the 1st-few pages, I see BMX wheels are recommended, to begin the build. I have two 20" girls bikes, with 36-spoke-design, that I intend to cut up, and am wondering if I can use the rims & spokes, but re-lace them to the 14mm hubs recommended? And, essentially, do the same thing with the rear wheels, onto the hub flange discs. As reference, I am 6-feet-tall, and 185#, & a bit "long-in-the-tooth", so I doubt I will be cornering the craft at excessively-high velocities, but I don't want a "granny pedal bike", either.
And another query- I am using a rather small buzz-box stick welder, 110-volts, capable of about 80amps. My welding skills are still a bit primitive, & I still get some blow-outs in my joints, and I'm wondering if I should invest in a small wire-feed flux welder, since I'm not really using large material in the fabrication?
Thanks for any conjecture you wish to pass in my direction.
Cheers,
Chris

darnthedog
01-20-2014, 01:11 AM
Welcome to the group of fun.
Converting the Girls 20 inch wheel rims to 14mm hubs will work out fine. If the spokes are in good shape you might even be able to reuse them.
The Buzz box will work fine and even allow you to be ahead of the learn curb as you have already done some welding. Primitive or not if it stick together it is nothing a little flap discing won't make look pretty. But you can do what ever that pleases you. Changing over to a Mig unit will not stop blowing through the material. You can still do that. You can do it with Tig as well. It take lot of practice and getting to know your machine.
And just an FYI the Freewheel adapters are available else where. They just don't have the nice disc brake adapter mount that Brads does. Also there are DYI freewheel adapter that have been made by cutting them off a steel wheel hub. So your not going to be without resources. They just won't be Brads custom made ones which is a shame. There are still a few available. But only existing inventory as Brad's new job is not allowing the restocking and shipping anymore. And the largest material will be in making the king pins for the steering section of the quad. I cheated on my warrior and found some scrap 1/2 material rather then welding 2 1/4 inch plates together. But we all work with what we have in our areas. Have fun with you build and please keep us updated with photos of your project.

Seesquare
01-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the support, DTD!
I found out JB Weld, over the welding lumps, "covers a multitude of sins".
I've got a pretty decent steel yard around here, so materials shouldn't be a problem.

Twinkle
01-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the support, DTD!
I found out JB Weld, over the welding lumps, "covers a multitude of sins".
I've got a pretty decent steel yard around here, so materials shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome to the forum from the UK

Unfortunately the Ostrich approach to welding might lead to poor welds being hiding and rear their ugly heads later ,

regards emma