PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Trike is started

Winger020
02-01-2014, 08:46 PM
My Warrior trike is underway, still tracking down donor bikes for parts Very good plans and the people on this forum are great with their posts, pictures and ideas. I would post some build pictures but they would just be repeats of what's already posted here. If I come upon something different I will be sharing it with all of you here. Awesome builds guys.

TrikeMike
02-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Congratulations. I just started my warrior as well. Actually two buddies want one as well but have had no time to help. So I am actually building 3. Since iam learning weld I am getting lots of practice. Needless to say I will take the nicest frame then let them fight over the other two. I am having so much . This forum is fantastic for support. Thanks everyone. .

darnthedog
02-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the Group Winger020
We have no issue with repeats on photos- so bring them on. IF and when you have issue the photos become paramount as they allow us to assist in diagnosing the issue. We love watching a build come together. so don't be shy. And if your a newbie at welding then have no fear- We were all newbies at one time. Some of us still are. And if your a professional then your build can show what some of us have been doing wrong all this time. This site is for share and caring. So bring on the build photos. We love them.
FYI I hope you got the 6 pack of plans because I guarantee this will not be your only build. It is very addictive.

Winger020
02-02-2014, 12:27 AM
I don't know if it's in the cards but when I was a lot younger lad, my dad and I made a high bike together by taking a bike frame and turning it around upside down, flipping the rear wheel, crank around and welded a pipe on to hold the seat up. The steering was a long solid shaft that was welded into the fork with a car steering wheel welded on. It was a lot of fun in those days. Going though the different set of plans that Brad has of the high bike and being a record holder and all reminded me of those days of riding it around, popping wheelies and hills both up and down. Sorry I don't have any pictures of it just lots of memories.

Winger020
02-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Anyway I have the steel pieces cut. The rear fork is welded up. The front wheels I bought off Amazon.com, bought the hubs by themselves and bought the new complete wheels for a bmx bike and relaced them today. That's a first for me. They will have to be trued up later but aren't just to bad for just throwing them together. Disk brakes, and tires are here. I just need some doner parts. I know the police dept has lots and I mean lots of abandon bikes but the chief won't give them up as they get volunteers together a couple of times a year and make good ones from the inventory and give them to kids that don't have a bike. Thank you to the volunteers for their service. Just bad for me looking for parts. I was at the LBS today and they have a complete that was run over and is tied up by insurance co that I believe I can get, just have to work out a price. The kid was on it doing his paper route when he was hit. He is ok the bike is not.

darnthedog
02-02-2014, 01:32 AM
Try Goodwill, also police usually have auctions and you maybe able to get a pallet then. Local colleges also get a lot of bikes which they auction off at different times. Another option is sign up with Freecycle.org and put in a want add for used bike once a month. So there are many methods to getting used bikes for donors. Mention it to family members and friend your looking for unused or damaged bikes. A wanted ad in Craigslist or Backpage can result in bountiful supplies of donors. So try not to limit yourself there are a lot of donors that can be recycled. Good luck and hope that helps.

Tradetek
02-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Definitely use your local freecycle.org group, but before trying a generic "old bikes wanted" I have found my ads to be FAR more successful when my wanted ad says "BROKEN bikes wanted".

You would be very surprised what some people consider to be "broken".

Bill