PDA

View Full Version : Numb Bum becomes numb foot

DannyC
03-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Some time ago I posted that on anything other than a short ride I was finding that my backside went "numb".

The perceived wisdom was that the seat (as per AZ design ...being flat and horizontal) actually need to be angled up at the front end in order to prevent this numbing.

So, I raised the front edge by about an inch, so that the seat base was then rising from the rear to the front.

Today on my first "Long-Distance" ride (well, for me 10 miles is a long distance at the moment) it wasn't my backside that went numb but the left foot from around the pedal-cleat area forwards to the toes on the left-foot only.

Now, it may be that my new left-hip has left me with legs of unequal length or some other physical anomaly.

Any thoughts/experience in this regard folks? Well, not about my legs of course but about foot numbness and its causes.

Regards,

Dan.

darnthedog
03-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Have you wife check back of your left leg after 10 minute hard riding. See if there is any sort of creasing.
You may have blood flow being restricted due to seat. I have this problem with computer chairs and toilet seats. But I'm diabetic and already have several issues if I'm not careful.
It could be you had your shoe tied either too tight or too loose allowing the shoe to pinch wrong.
Or you might need a bit more padding to the seat.
When pedaling: what is the knee position when pedal is furtherest away from you. Both legs.
If you feel stretched out try moving the bb back a bit. Knee should be slightly bent when extented before returning.
Hope something in this advice helps.

hiyawathen
03-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Maybe a nerve getting pinched?, could try a rolled up towel to mimic some lumbar support to see if it alleviates numbness on you next ride. If it helps, then you can experiment placing the roll different places on the seat to understand where additional padding is needed.

DannyC
03-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks folks,

Both of my legs are still bent (a little) at full extension as required to turn the cranks.
I am seeing my Physiotherapist tomorrow (regarding other issues with the left leg) so I will get him to check out a few things too.
Regards,

Dan.

tomelect
03-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Numbness can be a sign of pinched nerve with the most common in cycling being the shoes some are a very narrow fit, they are made to be a tight fit. Also you can have problems from the screws of the cleats slightly protruding. Is the cleat set with ball of your foot over the pedal ? Just a few things to look at.

Tom

DannyC
03-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Good call Tom,

I just re-checked the cleat positions and the one on the Left had slipped out of position.
I will set it to match the other one and see what happens on the next ride :-)

Regards,

Dan.

Tradetek
03-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Danny, the best way to get the cleats in the proper position for your feet is to tighten then down just enough that they will move a little bit.
Then pedal for 5-10 minutes
Then have a helper use an allen wrench/screw driver to either tighten the cleats if the bolts are accessible through the pedals, or manually release the pedal locking mechanism for you while you hold your feet still.
If you have to go the manual release the cleat method it is easier if you turn back the release tension some before clipping in. Note that you don't want to release it too much because it can affect the cleat position.
Also, if you have to do the manual release method, have a helper mark as much of the outline of the cleat position as possible with a Sharpie or something.
This will give you the best position for each individual foot.

Bill

DannyC
03-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks Bill :-)

DannyC
07-03-2014, 11:15 AM
I have done two 12 mile rides this week in preparation for the Zombie-fest (I don't want to let the side down).
This foot-pain problem is back with me, and now it is in both feet.
The cleats were still done up rock-solid. So I moved them both to see if it made any difference (it didn't).
I don't have a "helper" to assist me, so maybe I will have to get someone to work with me on resolving this during our Southern Zombie-Fest.

Additionally, I notice that there is a discernible mechanical "click" or "tick" under the left foot when it transitions from "pull" to "push" on the rotation cycle.
There is "play in the thread-less cartridge in the bottom bracket, but I would expect this to be detectable in both sides not just the left side.
I will see if the pedal bearings are adjustable/loose on the left or if the crank is loose.

HHJJ
07-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Hmmm, that's not good Dan.

I've just had a quick Google and come accross this forum on it.
http://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/768-foot-numbness-riding-recumbent.html
There's a bunch of suggestions on options to try.

I suspect you are going to have to change something about the position.
It could be back problem. Mine does cause pains hither and thither in the legs and feet and I need a greater thigh to body angle than most folks.
Or it could be the feet above the hips issue.
Are you on StreetFox?

....you might be having to build yourself a TimberWolf as well now to try that out....oh dear what a shame....I know you so hate an excuse to do a build ;-)

DannyC
07-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Hi Hilary,

I do hope it isn't legs/feet above hips, because that will completely kybosh the High-Roller as a toy.
Maybe my seat is too firm, or the angle is just "wrong" for me.
I have back-ache after lying in bed all night so my back is a bit finicky.
I'm still not getting the "bent" legs, or at least I don't recognise it as such.
Only time will tell I suppose.

dmac257
07-03-2014, 09:18 PM
I have done two 12 mile rides this week in preparation for the Zombie-fest (I don't want to let the side down).
This foot-pain problem is back with me, and now it is in both feet.
The cleats were still done up rock-solid. So I moved them both to see if it made any difference (it didn't).
I don't have a "helper" to assist me, so maybe I will have to get someone to work with me on resolving this during our Southern Zombie-Fest.

Additionally, I notice that there is a discernible mechanical "click" or "tick" under the left foot when it transitions from "pull" to "push" on the rotation cycle.
There is "play in the thread-less cartridge in the bottom bracket, but I would expect this to be detectable in both sides not just the left side.
I will see if the pedal bearings are adjustable/loose on the left or if the crank is loose.

In your last paragraph you mention a transition from "pull" to "push" ... My question is are you PULLING on one pedal while PUSHING with the other? If so, have you tried ONLY PUSHING for a few runs to see if it makes a difference? Also, you might want to move the bottom bracket closer to the seat so your knees are bent more then they are at present. Knee and foot injuries will not heal fast and returning too soon will "re-injure" stuff that has not fully healed. I used to run over 5 miles a day on SIDEWALKS and my knees are suffering for it 25 years later. If I WALK for a long distance I have to shorten my steps and keep my knee bent when I move my leg in front of my body. ANY hyper-extension of my knee will cause pain that gets worse the longer distance I walk. When I cycle on any style of bike, I need the seat closer to the bottom bracket than most bike shops recommend, or I begin to get pain in my knees. The only other thing I can think of is that your seat back angle might be too low.. but I don't know how this would effect your situation. You could also have stenosis (not sure of spelling) or herniated/ruptured disc that can pinch the nerves and either cause pain OR numbness in your legs. Hope you figure it out.
dmac257

stormbird
07-04-2014, 03:54 AM
Danny

I don't have to ride with cleated pedals so don't !

However I understand it is much safer to ride some bikes with them , i.e. to avoid leg suck.

It is possible that the cleats/shoes are causing your numb foot/feet

So can I suggest you try a pair of normal pedals with toe straps or at least the plastic parts that will stop your feet being bounced off the pedals ?

http://s20.postimg.org/brvz1ruml/DSCF1917.jpg

Like the above , this will at least eliminate the shoes/cleat positioning from the variables ?

Couple of threads from BROL ?

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=101018&highlight=numb+feet

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=106462&highlight=numb+feet

Some of the advice may be a help ?

Zombies really ought to join the site as there is a wealth of information from around the world

DannyC
07-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Thanks Paul, all good info & suggestions.

darnthedog
07-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Danny
When riding the 12 miles do you get a crease on the back of your legs from the edge of the seat? I have not had the issue when riding how ever when sitting on specific seats the blood circulation is cut off after 5 minutes and my feet go numb. Sometimes my whole leg goes numb. So I have to limit my time in those types of seats. Or change my sitting position. Not sure if this will help but I thought I would chip in here. Your seat is hard and if leaned back too much the seat edge will be raise thus providing a pinch point to reduce circulation. The whole angle of the seat is fixed with your hard shelled seat. Again this is just a thought. Those bentrider forums are also pretty informative.

DannyC
07-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi DTD,

The Seat on the Street Fox is as per the design (the hard shell seat will be on the new bike(s)).
So this seat is 1/2" plywood with 2" of hard-ish foam on top and a faux-leather cover.
As far as I know, I have no "creases" in the backs of my legs after riding (I will check of course).

For now, I have moved the cleats to the other set of mounting holes (the ones closer to the heel of the shoe) and will see what difference (if any) this makes.
I don't really want to change more than one thing at a time. If I still have numbness I will try non-cleated pedals and comfortable footwear to rule out any hip-to-feet positional issues.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Neil B
07-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Hi Danny

I too get numb feet from time to time. I use SPDs on all my bikes and trike. What sype of SPDs do you have? I've got mostly the smaller type like the M520. I've got one pair of the type with a cage around themM 424, which you can use normal shoes with. Anecdotal evidence says that the smaller pedals like the 520 can lead to numbness, because of the small contact area on your shoe and foot.
If I get a numb foot, usually just the ball of the foot around the cleat contact area, I wiggle my toes around whilst I am pedalling, and it goes away. I also wear thicker walking type socks, gives a bit of padding i think. Not saying that the other folks are wrong, but, this sorts it for me.
I find that SPD shoes are quite narrow and small for their stated size as well, apart from the Lidl / Aldi cycling shoes.
Dispete getting numb feet from time to time, I wouldn't use anything else

Neil

DannyC
07-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks Neil,

I will take every suggestion into consideration.
Lidl SPD shoes? Not seen them TBH. Is this the Crivit branded stuff?
The pedals are Shimano and marked PDM320.

Neil B
07-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Sorry I meant 320, typo.
Crivit or Crane, depending on which shop, last time I bought some they were about 20. You have to keep an eye out for them, they only do them occasionally.
Lidl are doing some cycling stuff from Monday.

Neil

sandman
07-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Hi Dan,
Just a thought, have you made any changes recently to the "Cannonball" that might have caused this problem ? Also wondering as the numbness is now both feet, how firm are the soles of your shoes? any flex around the cleat area could put localised pressure .
As to "Letting the side down" I dont imagine for one moment you will, we are not planning a rigid ride just one that we can all enjoy, however, should it be too much I imagine you would emulate Titus Oates :evilgrin: although he actually said" I am going outside now, there may be some wine":joker:
I look forwards to seeing you at the meet
regards
John