PDA

View Full Version : probably a daft question but here goes

markc
04-21-2014, 12:40 PM
has anybody on here ever tried to put 20" wheels on a mobility scooter transaxle. I have just about finished my first proper build which is a handcycle just got to put it back together know and take some finished pictures to put on here. know back to the question the transaxle I have has got a 400 watt motor on it,(or so ive been told)but the wheels are to small for a bike build so I was just curious to find out if anybody has managed to get a set of 20" or 24" wheels on one interested in what you guys have to say

Twinkle
04-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi mark
we have fitted a pair of 4x8 trailer wheels to a transaxle
this was to build a tractor for my grandson
built on a mobility scooter frame.

the wheels or hubs need to be redrilled to fit they were .5 inch out
it worked (still working ) oa diameter is a tad over 16"
gave a top speed pulling 2 adults at 12 mph
20" wheels would work but you would need to build your own adapter or use 10" trailer wheels
don't know about legalities
might be frowned on

regards Emma

darnthedog
04-21-2014, 01:32 PM
A picture is worth a billion words. A photo of the trans-axle in question may help us help you.
However if it is steel then welding an adapter to make it work or adding a gear to drive an axle should work. But a photo would help for making suggestions.

markc
04-21-2014, 02:37 PM
depending on weather tomorrow will depend if I get in the shed if so I shall take the wheels of and take a photo of it .if its raining I will be in the shed, if its sunny I have got to finish the deck and pergola but will get photo on in the next few days

tman
04-22-2014, 07:54 AM
going blind but what about using a jack shaft then you could use the geers to help with hills and speed

markc
04-22-2014, 01:21 PM
talking to a friend today he seems to think we can extend the axle on one side which will make it wide enough for a handcycle version 2 as I said when it rains I shall take some pictures of my finished handcycle and the rear axle I am hoping to use for the second trike

Twinkle
04-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Hi mark

if its a shoprider axle unit then the axle is the same as some of the motorised wheelchairs. Therefore the hubs from the wheelchairs fit making the track about 28 " but this wont help you much with the wheel diameter largest motorised chair wheels are only 12" diameter , i was playing with a single motor of a chair and planning fitting a sprocket to it .
regards Emma