PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Axle Locknut

Paul99
05-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi Gang,

I am unable to remove the locknut from the left side of the rear axle of a Pacific Evolution 24 inch MTB. I知 using a a 17 mm box end wrench on the locknut, and a 15 mm cone wrench but I cant budge either one.

I was going to get help from a friend to hold the cone wrench, and then hit the box wrench with a rubber mallet, but I知 afraid that the thin cone wrench might not stand the stress.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with this problem. Thanks, Paul

Twinkle
05-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Hi Gang,

I am unable to remove the locknut from the left side of the rear axle of a Pacific Evolution 24 inch MTB. I知 using a a 17 mm box end wrench on the locknut, and a 15 mm cone wrench but I cant budge either one.

I was going to get help from a friend to hold the cone wrench, and then hit the box wrench with a rubber mallet, but I知 afraid that the thin cone wrench might not stand the stress.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with this problem. Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul

Can you remove the block ,then put the RH side in the vice and use a 17 mm combination spanner on the lh side , one side will give...:taz::taz::taz:

regards emma

Tradetek
05-02-2014, 01:47 PM
2 things to try:
Soak the part in oil overnight
Heat the part with a torch to allow some temporary contraction of the parts. This is commonly used to remove rusty nuts/bolts

Bill

DannyC
05-02-2014, 01:56 PM
1. Soak in Plus-Gas overnight and all of the above solutions.
2. Find a bigger hammer.
3. Take it to a tyre fitting shop with an air-driven nut-runner and ask them to undo it.

Regards,

Dan.

Twinkle
05-02-2014, 03:05 PM
2 things to try:

Heat the part with a torch to allow some temporary contraction of the parts. This is commonly used to remove rusty nuts/bolts

Bill

tends to ruin the bearings try using a freezer spray ( often used by the motor trade as an alternative to heat )

Usually in the vice one side will give without any damage .

regards emma

Paul99
05-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Hi Paul

Can you remove the block ,then put the RH side in the vice and use a 17 mm combination spanner on the lh side , one side will give...:taz::taz::taz:

regards emma

Hi Emma,

I don't know what you mean by block? Is this a British term?

If you mean the freewheel, the answer is no. It looks like I must first remove the axle in order to gain access to the sprockets!

Paul

Tradetek
05-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Mmmm... as I think a bit beyond the nut/bolt problem I guess that burning grease might be a bit of a mess too...

Thanks Emma

Bill

Twinkle
05-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Block / freewheel same difference , This is the "problem " with the English language where terms and products vary from country to country . I have only just found Sharpies in the UK .:confused:

If the block is a shimano block there are removers that will go over the locknut and undo it .
gripping the rhs in a vice just on the locknut might be enough to hold it whilst the other end undoes
I find the block side usually comes undone first in these cases .

regards emma

Paul99
05-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Block / freewheel same difference , This is the "problem " with the English language where terms and products vary from country to country . I have only just found Sharpies in the UK .:confused:

If the block is a shimano block there are removers that will go over the locknut and undo it .
gripping the rhs in a vice just on the locknut might be enough to hold it whilst the other end undoes
I find the block side usually comes undone first in these cases .

regards emma

Emma,

Thanks for the idea.

Using a large lock washer along with two large washers and two nuts on the rhs, I was able to remove the axle from the rh cone.

It looks like the lhs locknut and cone are moving as one unit, albeit moving very little.

Now I can tackle the freewheel, or is it a freehub?