PDA

View Full Version : Terra-Fox - All ahead STOP :-(

DannyC
05-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Hi Folks,

You know how it is when you begin to think that an earlier decision was the wrong one? :oops:

You know how you kick yourself as you confirm your fears and then begin to un-weld your work with a zip disk? :eek: :cry2:

Well, I had one of those joyful experiences today....... Ho-Hum.

I shan't bore you with too many gory details; suffice it to say those nice mitred joints I made are no more and my ears are ringing to the harsh echoes of my grinder (I must get some ear-defenders).

The positives..... (I like to find positives, even in setbacks).......

The welds were very difficult to undo and the penetration and fusing of the base metals was more than adequate.
The design-error I had made was caught early so I had not built error upon error.
The resultant "wasted" steel will come in handy for more welding practice.
I learned something about the need to think at least three-steps ahead when making bikes (just like when designing customer recording solutions).

Will be bouncing back tomorrow. :)

Regards,

Dan.

stormbird
05-21-2014, 01:43 PM
DannyIf you wait a little while Emma will show how easy it is to build a Python trike None of these complicated castor , ackerman angles just a simple pivot angle

DannyC
05-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Hi Paul,
If we all wait just a short while we will be able to buy at least one of the 5,000 bike per year Emma seems to build ;-)

I quite liked this for $hits & Giggles... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XUXBtgQ9KQ

Regards,

Dan.

Twinkle
05-21-2014, 02:16 PM
YOU GOT THAT WRONG :evilgrin: . it was only 5 tadpole trikes in 12 months :builder2: and I still own 4 of them . :rolleyes4:

The 20/20 bit collection run today came out trumps with a 20" MTB with a solid nice rear triangle :) for 3.33p and good wheels .

Are you going to tell us what happened or keep us in suspense :batman:

regards emma

stormbird
05-22-2014, 01:38 AM
Hi Paul,
If we all wait just a short while we will be able to buy at least one of the 5,000 bike per year Emma seems to build ;-)

I quite liked this for $hits & Giggles... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XUXBtgQ9KQ

Regards,

Dan.

I have my wheels fastened to a piece of 2 x 4 and a 24" rear wheel in a front fork at the other end , it was all going so well till I used one of those cheap Chinese bike pulley things to haul it up to the ceiling in the garage , about head height it turned turtle fell to the floor and bust the seat.

Soon after the python was ridable and I have not touched it since.

stormbird
05-22-2014, 01:40 AM
The 20/20 bit collection run today came out trumps with a 20" MTB with a solid nice rear triangle :) for 3.33p and good wheels .

nice find , the only thing i can get from my dump is scowls and grunts , luckily at the moment they are free !

Are you going to tell us what happened or keep us in suspense :batman:

regards emma

and I second that !

DannyC
05-22-2014, 04:49 AM
Oh, sorry, I was hoping to hide behind a smokescreen of "other chat", cover my embarrassment and make a clean getaway. :)

Basically, I made one mistake, compounded it with another and then realised it wasn't going to work out.

Mistake 1. Seat rear-support was just a tad too short to fulfil it's dual purpose of supporting the rear of the seat AND attaching to the suspension spring. :rolleyes4:
Mistake 2. Adding an upright from the main beam up to (and through) the "too-short" seat support fixed the suspension attachment problem and produced a very strong triangle but prevented the seat from reclining as much as I'd like while still providing a way of placing stays to support the upper back part of the seat.

There, I've "fessed-up". Move right along now, nothing to see here. :dunce2:

Regards,

Dan.

go1000go
05-22-2014, 07:51 AM
Is this a case of measure twice, cut once.....
Or was it so exciting, guess, cut and lets start welding..... If so been there done that too

DannyC
05-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Hi Tim,

I think I was too eager to move my project forwards and not careful enough to check all the nuances of the "off-piste" elements of my build.

Regards,

Dan.

Twinkle
05-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Hi Tim,

I think I was too eager to move my project forwards and not careful enough to check all the nuances of the "off-piste" elements of my build.

Regards,

Dan.

sounds to me like a bad hair day Danny

undeterred, carry on mate .

regards Emma

Ticktock
05-22-2014, 08:44 AM
All part of the game!!
Just carry on having fun, thanks for sharing, as it might help stop one of us doing something similar one day.
And if we do (and admit it) you can have a good giggle.
Steve G

edspedalcars
05-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Whilst we yearn to be tinkers,
we must first learn to be thinkers. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-think005.gif

I have used the http://forum.atomiczombie.com/images/smilies/oops.gif many times myself.
The most embarrassing one, would be when I drilled a hole, through my drill press table.

Maybe a sign for each of our respective shops/build area's, as a constant reminder that:

http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/create.php?id=grey%5E_%5Etahoma%5E_%5E0%5E_%5E0%5E _%5ETo+be+a+Tinker-One+Must+be+a+Thinker%5E_%5E.gif Or http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/create.php?id=grey%5E_%5Etahoma%5E_%5E0%5E_%5E0%5E _%5EBefore+you+Tink--Be+sure+to+Think%5E_%5E.gif

DannyC
05-22-2014, 02:35 PM
All "reversion" work completed and a new part ready to weld on tomorrow.
Shame about the "wasted" steel and my main-beam now looking like its been attacked by a cheese-grater on steroids.
It is all a learning experience, and so it doesn't really distress me that much.
Thinking ahead..... (yes, I am capable of it) I think there are some fun challenges to be overcome (chain line being one of them).
It is all part of the AZ training academy and if I really wanted a perfect bike with no quirks and a perfect pedigree I could have bought one, but where is the joy in creating something in that?

Anyone can spend money. Creating something is much better.

Regards,

Dan.

Tradetek
05-22-2014, 06:36 PM
I try to think that is no "wasted" steel...

For me steel has three potential of usefulness:
1) Learning how to do stuff
2) Making it do stuff
3) Failing 2, either use it for 1 or save it for another life as 2

Case in point, recently I screwed up on the cuts for a steel frame I'm making. Fortunately the cuts were to long and I ended up with 2 pieces of 2" long tube. Threw them into the "small scrap" container. Later need some tube capped off, resurrect the steel from the prior mistake and use it to make caps for the current project thereby making it do stuff ;)

Bill

Radical Brad
05-22-2014, 08:28 PM
There are NO mistakes around here, simply REVISIONS!

Brad

DannyC
05-23-2014, 04:55 AM
And.....
If I recall correctly; extra REVISION always led to a better pass mark in any exam or test ;-)

Regards,

Dan.

go1000go
05-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Yes extra revision will help, but this is better than any exam, because during the exam you can ask for help, it comes in bucket loads and even the examiner pitches in with the answer