PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my spirit

nickajeglin
06-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Album is here: http://imgur.com/a/2UDQf

I started months ago, but school got in the way. I took a few days off of work to get it finished up. Tomorrow I hope to get steering worked out, and then cables routed.

I originally intended underseat steering, and I made a beautiful set of handlebars from the EMT tutorial, and a nice bracket/stem for them, but once I got the seat on, I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to steer with the bars so close to my knees, so I decided to go for direct steering instead. It doesn't help that I've never even seen a bike with USS in person before. I may make some wider bars and reassess the situation tomorrow.

I made the seat from plans I got from here: https://archive.org/details/AnatomicSeatRecumbentBikeSeatPlans

It's bolted on to a flat bracket similar to the one that holds the bottom bracket on. The seat braces are just 1/2" aluminum tubing pounded flat at the ends, then rounded. I initially wanted to have sliding adjustable seat stay dealies, but I didn't think they looked very clean, since they were secured by hose clamps, and the two sizes of tubing weren't a perfect fit. You can still adjust the recline of the seat by sliding the bracket on the bottom forwards or back.

I haven't asked many questions, but the forum has been a huuuuge help, so thanks to everyone here.

HHJJ
06-01-2014, 04:37 AM
Excellent!

go1000go
06-01-2014, 05:20 AM
Hi nickajeglin,

Looking good, like the seat.
Couple of suggestions, or considerations for you to consider. Moving the seat from the front pivot to change the angle also changes the distance to the bottom bracket.
You might want to consider a bracket that has multiple fixing points as per slyways recumbent, that is where I got the idea for my bike.

For handle bars you can have the horizontal bar in front of your knees, check out barchetta bikes http://www.bacchettabikes.com

Looks very good and clean build.

trikeman
06-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Lookin good. Nice shop.

nickajeglin
06-01-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm very lucky to be able to have access to my work's shop on the weekends. It's a small, but fully equipped metalworking business, which is very nice. I'm the sole welder at the place, which means the welding area is mine, so everything is organized exactly how I want, and no one can mess with the tools. It's about the perfect setup, and much better than working at home.

go1000go, my bottom bracket is movable also, so that should work ok. Also, thanks for the link to bachetta, I wish I could find a way to get the hinged adjustable stem that they have going on.

nickajeglin
06-01-2014, 10:28 AM
I also had some trouble shortening the road bike forks off the donor bike, which is how I ended up with the bmx forks. I was trying to make sure that the rim of the new 20" wheel would line up with the caliper brakes that were on the road bike, and that made me make the forks too short, which I should have noticed before I cut them. I'm also having a very hard time locating an idler pulley with bearings, I had to have a mower store order me one, because no one in town had them in stock.

darnthedog
06-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Congratulation on a nice build.

Penola
06-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Looks really nice :-D
Good luck with the build :-D

nickajeglin
06-01-2014, 07:26 PM
It lives!! I finished up all the major work this afternoon and rode it, clanking and rattling, around the parking lot a few times. (clanking because I don't have shifter cables installed yet so it's stuck 2/3 of the way between two gears) I'm really excited. I've never ridden a recumbent but after a fairly wobbly start, it feels very natural and comfortable. I came up with a good adjustable angle steering mechanism too. It's pouring outside right now, so I'll post some pictures of that tomorrow. I found another bike shop that let me dig through their basement parts piles, so I ended up with a nice heavy duty road bike fork with brake studs that I shortened to replace the ugly bmx one. That fork shortening process is difficult, I may even make a third fork because I'm not entirely happy with this one either. I also have to work out a different idler pulley because the one I have turns out to be aluminum, so it's getting torn up by the chain pretty bad. Total weight minus cabling, shifters, and brakes is a hair under 35 lbs. I'm curious how that compares to other people's builds.

FrankCrank
06-02-2014, 01:37 AM
.....when I win the lottery I'm gonna have a workshop like that :thinking: ....

Lildog
05-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Very Nice build. You gave me an excellent idea for my seat build. Let's see how good mine will come out.

IrvJamison
05-19-2015, 12:09 AM
Great looking bike!!!