PDA

View Full Version : Marathon + or Big Apples...decisions, decisions.

DannyC
06-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Hi folks,

I am looking to change my Street Fox Trike's front tyres from the puncture-prone <20/Pair Raliegh "knobbly-jobs" that are on their to a better quality brand.

Schwalbe would be my preference as I have "Marathon's" on my Moulton and they are excellent (especially the Plus variant as they seem to be almost puncture-proof), but I have never tried the Big-Apple model.

The GreenSpeed trike catalogue suggests that on an unsuspended trike you can run Big-Apple's hard (55lbs) on roads/pavement and soft (35lbs) on off-road surfaces, so that looks like a vote of confidence for trike usage.

I think TexasTuff & a some of you other fine folks may also be using Big Apples, are they indeed a good choice, or should I stick with Marathon+ and endure the harder ride?

Thanks in advance.

Twinkle
06-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Hi Dan

John says "Campsite booked !"

I am using the Marathon 20x1.5 on the front of both the big e-trikes and I have yet to finalize on the 20/20 .
Probably identical 2" x 20s all round . at 45- 50 psi

I would go for the 20x 1.75 marathons unless you really want to splash out for the plus , also fit slime inner tubes to be really safe but they can lead to vibration issues with all that gunge rolling around in the tubes .

Remember the marathons are unidirectional so make sure they are the right way round.

Take a look at the pdf on tyres that is downloadable off the schwalbe website.

regards emma

bambuko
06-29-2014, 08:47 AM
I am running Schwalbe Big Apple Kevlar Guard (20x2 at the front and 26x2 at the rear).
I had one puncture (admittedly in 12 month) - it was tiny and very nasty shard of stone.
I still managed to get home before I noticed dropping pressure.

I have chosen them for precisely the reason you mention (un-suspended bike).
I am also running at 55psi (sometime a bit more).
I am very happy customer (got mine at CRC).

FrankCrank
06-29-2014, 09:43 AM
...big apples for me, 2.35 wide front and rear, 2 years running, no punctures, around 30 psi....

Neil B
06-29-2014, 10:13 AM
Hi Danny

I've got M+ on all my road going machines. They are heavy compared to other tyres, but I can't remember the last time I had a puncture. I'll get one next time I'm out, now I've put a hex on it by mentioning the P word.

Neil

DannyC
06-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks folks,

It looks like (as I suspected) either of the Schwalbe's are a good choice as no-one has said a single negative thing about them (well, they are a major brand).
I will take a look and see what the pricing is like and what deals are to be had on flea-bay and elsewhere.

Thanks again.

DannyC
06-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Well, both Big Apples and the newer e-bike "energizer-plus" tyres with puncture protection are 24.99 ea at SJS cycles.

That's not a bad price TBH.

DannyC
06-29-2014, 01:22 PM
But then I found Big Apple PLUS at 33.90 for the pair (delivered). So BIG SMILES time.

HHJJ
06-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Luxury!
Rollin down the road in a couple o days now then.

Twinkle
06-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Only problem I had with a marathon was a puncture 150 yards from home , Turned out to be a broken core wire , LBS replaced it without question .

But they seem to handle well and wear well

regards emma

sandman
06-29-2014, 04:09 PM
But then I found Big Apple PLUS at 33.90 for the pair (delivered). So BIG SMILES time.
Have seen big apples for less in Asda , and different varieties too!!!!

FrankCrank
06-29-2014, 08:42 PM
...and don't forget the Schwalbe 'Fat Frank' - they're very similar to Big Apple and same price, but more tread, and also come in beige and brown colours. Have a pair on my bike back in UK - very pleased with the ride comfort........

DannyC
07-14-2014, 08:36 AM
My new tyres are all in the UK awaiting DHL to deliver this week.
Hopefully before the AZ Southern meet on Friday & the weekend.
It will be interesting to see what (if any) difference they make to my ride.

Tradetek
07-14-2014, 11:44 AM
I exchanged some e-mails with Schwalbe earlier this year and they recommended their Marathon series for durability. Interestingly, this did not comment either way on their new Tryker tires which were supposedly designed specifically for recumbent trikes. I did specify that I was looking for recommendations for delta so I know know what effect that had on their answers.

Bill

DannyC
07-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi Bill,

I can attest to the marathon series, they are truly the best in terms of puncture resistance.
However, the Big Apples also have the "Green Guard" and if both Terratrike & Greenspeed appear to use them on trikes, I think they must be pretty good.