PDA

View Full Version : Divided Attention

DannyC
07-27-2014, 03:12 PM
A long, long time a go in a galaxy far, far away a space trading/fighting game called "Elite" was published for the (at that time very popular) BBC-Model A/B microcomputers.

It took the market by storm and was one of the most played games of its generation.

On the 29th of July 2014 the latest iteration on modern computers with stunning graphics is released as a "beta" version to an eager playing public.

The significance of this may be lost on many people, but... to get a feel for it look here http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

This was the first game my kids ever got hooked on, and both me and 2 of my boys have bought copies to play when the beta launches for real.
It is going to be mayhem but it is also going to be FUN.

I may be absent for a little while..... at least until the novelty wears off (while I re-live my late 20's) :-)

darnthedog
07-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Danny -Farewell- Good-by- Nice knowing you:evilgrin:

That almost look addictive enough to get into. However it appears to be online only. If that is truly the case have fun. But you won't see me there. I don't play online games. I'm a loner type player.
But some people are really into to it. So have fun.

DannyC
07-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Hi Bruce,

Yes it needs an online connection for log-in and authentication etc.
Not sure if it is wholly online all the time though.

It is really immersive [new term?] as an experience.

Will be back asap.

darnthedog
07-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Don't have issue with registration- just not an online player as I have had a couple of really bad experiences- plus I like to modify and cheat because I desire to get through the game to enjoy the story line more than the challenge of being killed off every few minutes. Online playing makes you earn that privilege. Starcraft 2 part 2 is an example of taking a really cool game and shooting themselves in the foot with no offline play. World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 are other examples for the PC versions anyways. Got chased into consoles and fool around with PS3 and refuse to move to PS4 due to online requirements.
Definition of bad experience - 40 hours of play time in a game billions of credit built up to buy the ultimate upgrade. Blown away by another player just so he could take my stuff. Happen a couple times. The last time on battlenet where is was not suppose to happen. I gave up online play after that.

So if that game is offline play capable the I look forward to playing it. So let me know please.

Ticktock
07-28-2014, 06:07 AM
Ive heard of AA and GA and a couple more similar, but you may be in trouble.
See you when you return to this planet some time in the distant future!
Hopefully we will still speak the same language !
Steve G

Popshot
08-08-2014, 03:04 PM
I remember Elite fondly. 50 though is an utter non-starter.