PDA

View Full Version : Gearing question

sceadu498
08-07-2014, 11:08 AM
I have a question as to gearing for a recumbent, should I go with gearing from a MTN bike drive train or a road bike with a compact double chain ring (50-34) and a 11-27 rear cassette?

darnthedog
08-07-2014, 02:21 PM
It is truly up to you- your physical condition- your locations as to hills or flat and such. If your mostly flat land the gearing will be find. If your on a lot of hill. It maybe a bit high. The great thing about these bikes is try it. If you don't like it- change it. Up or down till you do like it. That is what it is all about. Some one in their 20's may not find an issue with that gearing where as someone in their 50+ range may have a problem with it regardless. That is why I say it is really up to you.

Twinkle
08-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

firstly you did not specify the driven wheel diameter.

flat riding l would go for 50 - 81 " then go either way depending on the conditions and the weight of the bike trike .
l aim for a range between 20" - 90"

gear inches can be worked out ( front chain wheel / rear sprocket)x wheel diameter

regards Emma

sceadu498
08-07-2014, 10:15 PM
I am going to do tHe 20" front wheel. I am 52 and have not been cycling for quite a few years so don't have my legs back at the moment and is going to be first venture to recumbents. Where I live does have some hills so I need to keep that in mind.

Twinkle
08-08-2014, 03:22 AM
I am going to do tHe 20" front wheel. I am 52 and have not been cycling for quite a few years so don't have my legs back at the moment and is going to be first venture to recumbents. Where I live does have some hills so I need to keep that in mind.

If it was me , In those circumstances given -- keep the 11-27 cassette and go for a triple 26 36 46 or similar , that should give you sensible gearing to earn your legs .

regards emma