PDA

View Full Version : SA XL-SD Single-Sided hub(s) availability in UK?

DannyC
09-08-2014, 06:28 PM
SJS and Practical cycles are quoted as possible sources, but searches of their sites do not show any.

I did see an old thread (BROL I think, and was sent there by Paul (Stormbird) as SJS seemed to do the parts that you could make a whole hub up from.

Anyone know of a UK stockist that has the "Whole thing" rather than just maintenance parts (which SJS do show).

Ta!

Twinkle
09-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi Danny

single sided sa drums brakes were standard fitment on some wheelchairs , but are like the proverbial rocking horse droppings

pm sent with how to modify a standard hub and a pair of alloy sa hubs for under 100

regards emma

FrankCrank
09-08-2014, 07:52 PM
....that one is like searching for the 'Holy Grail' - even over in the States the part is hard to track down. They list them in the SA catalogue, but that's about it!

That workaround you talk of Emma - could you post some details of it here, would be of interest to me, and others too I'm sure :)

Twinkle
09-09-2014, 03:17 AM
....that one is like searching for the 'Holy Grail' - even over in the States the part is hard to track down. They list them in the SA catalogue, but that's about it!

That workaround you talk of Emma - could you post some details of it here, would be of interest to me, and others too I'm sure :)

Your wish

Written by Rickey M. Horwitz as part of the Thunderbolt project

http://ihpva.org/Projects/PracticalInnovations/index.html

The drum brake conversion is listed in this chapter

http://www.ihpva.org/Projects/PracticalInnovations/BuildingStubAxleHubs.html

regards emma

Petone_NZ
09-09-2014, 04:52 AM
The Sturmey Archer hubs are standard equipment on Quest, Mango, Alleweder and some other velomobiles. You could try contacting the respective factories in the Netherlands.

Or David Hembrow (link) (http://www.dutchbikebits.com/) may be able to help. His site doesn't currently list these hubs but he has contacts with at least one velomobile maker, and when I enquired about another part he was able to source it for me. He's helpful to deal with too.

Regards, Neville

HHJJ
09-09-2014, 05:06 AM
Not a hub brake but interesting one sided wheels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR-Bwrf2u2I
It seems Giant like t do one sided wheel bikes.

And Cannondale Lefty.

bambuko
09-09-2014, 06:37 AM
Most of Mike Burrows's designs link (http://bikefix.co.uk/mike-burrows) (Windcheetah, Ratcatcher, etc and even his freight bike link (http://8freight.com/)) are cantilever designs and use single sided hubs with drum brakes.

stormbird
09-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Hi all

Well I sourced my almost NOS from Ebay.

However I would try ICE trikes in Cornwall , they are usually helpful towards home builders.

FrankCrank
09-09-2014, 09:38 AM
...thanks Emma - some food for thought there. As suggested, might be easier to try and source part from a manufacturer who already uses them on their trikes.....

swizz69
09-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Hi Danny,

Apologies, I thought they did list the complete hubs - for Practical Cycles you have to follow the Wheelbuild link on their site but it seems they don't list them either...however, I would be tempted to email them and ask (they don't man the phones 100% of the time).

Same goes if you have a similar shop nearer home.

DannyC
09-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the really useful info and advice, links and more!!!

You all know who you are so need to list y'all out here.

I have e-mailed SJS in the UK to ask if (as an SA stockist) they can help source the whole hubs, or, the individual parts that are the difference between an XL-FD and an XL-SD. (I converted the SA catalogue PDF into a word doc and used it as a reference with all the discrete SA part numbers for them to say Y/N and price for.

Fingers crossed.

Emma did come up with a useful article on adapting the FD hubs to SD, but that may be beyond my meagre engineering skills and equipment.

I am sure I will find a way forwards.

Thanks again everyone.

DannyC
09-09-2014, 06:37 PM
SA (Sunrace) NL also written to directly.

Let's see how good their customer service skills are :-)

Tradetek
09-09-2014, 07:19 PM
No need to wait on the response for the most significant difference for you. The XL-SD and X-SD are single sided, the XL-FD X-FD are not.

The "L" is for a 90mm drum vs 70mm.

Bill

FrankCrank
09-09-2014, 11:15 PM
...hey Danny, if you do manage to track down the hubs, it might be a case of doing a bulk order, in which case you can count me in for a pair.

They sound like a good alternative to disc brakes, but still effective braking, low maintenance, left & right handed, and of particular appeal is they are quick release - so what's not to like about them eh ?

Good luck with the hunt :)

DannyC
09-10-2014, 06:58 AM
OK,

SJS have replied that the hubs (complete) are not sold in the UK as complete units but ALL of the constituent parts are available with which to make up these hubs.
They also say that a lot are sold to trike or trailer builders.

I have asked for a price of both variants, fixed axle (bolt) and QR axle.

Will update as soon as I have the pricing.

DannyC
09-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Sorry all for my mistake in my earlier post (well spotted Bill).

Yes of course the 2 types available and that we are interested in are BOTH SD (single-sided) variants and the difference being 70mm or 90mm diameter drum-brakes.

Cannot see the point in the 70mm really as they are known to be under-par on braking in "bent" circles.

swizz69
09-10-2014, 12:34 PM
I know someone has mentioned David Hembrow - may be worth asking him being based in NL. Aside from Dutch Bike Bits he worked for a Velomobile manufacturer for a while.

DannyC
09-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks Swizz69.

I have had a quote from SJS for a pair of XL-SD hubs (Right & Left).

With Nutted Axles it is 170.88 (+VAT).
With the QR Axles it is 170.94 (+VAT).

So the QR option (which I think is really cool for ultimate portability) costs nothing extra it seems.

Am now waiting for the response from Sun Race NL.

swizz69
09-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Bit of a hike up on the standard Sturmey hubs - youch! Hope you can get them elsewhere a bit cheaper.

Hembrows Dutch Bike Bits blog has an entry on improving the power of trike front drum brakes - he suggests that the weakness is in the cable runs...

http://blog.dutchbikebits.com/2010/10/improving-velomobile-braking-efficiency.html?m=1

...and I'd concur with what he says. The rear drum on mine for example has a long cable & is noticeably weaker. It's fine as it is mind, as there's next to no weight on the back wheel of the bike. The front brake with the shorter cable run is superb. I'm telling you this as they're 70mm brakes - lighter & probably cheaper for you than the 90s.

swizz69
09-10-2014, 07:32 PM
<<< The rear drum on mine for example has a long cable & is noticeably weaker >>>

( Edit! Mines a Lowracer, not a Trike )

FrankCrank
09-10-2014, 08:47 PM
........jeez - that price is outta my league :( .........

stormbird
09-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Cannot see the point in the 70mm really as they are known to be under-par on braking in "bent" circles.

70mm are the original size and hundreds of riders have done hundreds of thousands of miles without cause for complaint.

The move to 90mm started when they were fitted to Velomobiles which empty weigh about the same as an adult without adding an adult and then are ridden at speeds well in excess of those achievable on a unfaired trike/bike.

Of course brake fade is a possibility and 90mm will make it occur later than with 70mm all other things being equal.

DannyC
09-11-2014, 08:04 AM
I stand corrected, thanks for the more balanced view Paul.

Indeed it was a report from a Velo owner that I read where he said brake-fade was an issue for him and changing to 90mm drums had resolved things for him.

stormbird
09-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Dan

Sorry wrote that in a hurry and it sounds like a slap on the wrist.

What I was trying to say was if you are of average weight and the 70mm are fitted to a unfaired trike/bike you should find the performance satisfactory.

I have bought a couple of NOS 70mm's from Ebay and intend fitting them to the rear of my next Python trike , fingers crossed they will be satisfactory for that application.

DannyC
09-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Hi Paul,

I wasn't offended, and your input was entirely factual and without any barbs or malice so I would have to be a bit "sensitive" to have been affronted.

I think your points are totally valid and I hope you have a great success with the 70mm hubs on your trike.

Best wishes.

Tradetek
09-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Ouch, those are really expensive. I had been thinking about them, but now will probably turn to the other type I was thinking about which is the Shimano Nexus Roller Brakes (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035TXSC0/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0035TXSC0&linkCode=as2&tag=inm06-20&linkId=C6H45NTEKPYYXZC6). They are supposed to have a smooth engagement when hitting the brakes and don't jerk and lockup the way disk brakes do which is desirable for my son.

Bill