PDA

View Full Version : Oooohhh a new tool that may come in handy.

DannyC
10-21-2014, 03:23 PM
I couldn't help myself, it popped up in a web search and my autonomic nervous system took over and made me press the Buy it now 1-click button.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-Exhaust-Tail-Expander-Straightner/dp/B002R33Q9K

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/817plcE6SUL._SL1500_.jpg

It occurred to me that a bike in 2 halves with a reinforced "Swaged" joint in the middle might be a practical proposition and this was too cheap to pass up really.

Popshot
10-22-2014, 12:27 PM
I've always found two pipes of appropriate size when wanting to slot one inside another. It's never even occurred to me to get a swager.

DannyC
10-22-2014, 01:20 PM
And I think I may have my terminology wrong because swaging makes stuff smaller, and this is for "expanding".

sandman
10-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Nice tool Dan, I do question if it will flair 16swg tube though,I hope you will prove me wrong,I have used the tapered mandrel type and the tube always splits, this type I dont think will split the tube but I suspect the force needed is going to by quite large. keep us posted
John

AngleGrinder
10-22-2014, 05:41 PM
And I think I may have my terminology wrong because swaging makes stuff smaller, and this is for "expanding".

Would possibly be referred to as a "flaring" tool?

;)

AngleGrinder
10-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Nice tool Dan, I do question if it will flair 16swg tube though,I hope you will prove me wrong,I have used the tapered mandrel type and the tube always splits, this type I dont think will split the tube but I suspect the force needed is going to by quite large. keep us posted
John

applying a bit of heat might be the trick

Ticktock
10-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Suspect expander is the correct term here.
Flairing usually refers to a conical type of stretching as used on brake and some airline connections.
Steve G

AngleGrinder
10-22-2014, 11:19 PM
Oh, I see, it pushes outwards all along...
Yes, then it would be called an expander.

:)