PDA

View Full Version : New guy feeling lost

Alco1958
10-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Greetings from Norway
Thinking of attempting a start in this game . I am so green, sap is running out of my ears. Had enough trouble negotiating the site map. Heaven knows what will happen when I fire up a grinder !

Twinkle
10-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Hi and a big welcome from the UK

Websites are always a pain when you start but I am sure you will get into it

What are you interested in ? give us an Idea of your likes, experience and wants and hopefully we can help you along the first steps of saying

" I built it myself "

regards emma

DannyC
10-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Yes indeed Alco58, welcome.
Apart from Brad himself this is where all the experience on building AZ machines resides.
If the folks on here do not know how to help you then I will be very, very surprised.
What sort of machine are you interested in?
Did you buy a six-pack of plans yet?
Have you fabrication skills already? Do not worry if not, I hadn't either in January and now I am really enjoying things and feeling quite confident.
Only 1 semi-official rule and that is to show pictures of your builds and share your experiences.

Hope to see your posts soon.

Best Wishes.

sandman
10-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Greetings from Norway
Thinking of attempting a start in this game . I am so green, sap is running out of my ears. Had enough trouble negotiating the site map. Heaven knows what will happen when I fire up a grinder !
Welcome to the group, I am sure you will find a design that takes your fancy and as to what happens when you fire up the grinder? well the worst that can happen is the sparks set fire to you:joker:
regards
John

Alco1958
10-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Thanks very much for the encouragement
I think i will start with going through a few tutorials and chopping some old frames to
get a feel for the material. Have to make some workshop space. Reckon the wife wont let me use
the kitchen. i will cettainly be looking at a simple short wheelbse design first.
learning to arc weld is an obstacle though i have a mate who runs a welding shop. When i say mate i mean a guy i know. Guess who is going to be a major mate from now on :))

darnthedog
10-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Welcome to the Group from USA.
Pictures are a must so please don't put up a fuss. We love everything posted. Plus they are worth a million words that need no translation.

A Six pack of plans is a very good start to see how things go. Or alternatively get one of the books. There are at least six plans in each of those. Plus a lot of guidance.

The Grinding tutorial started saving me on cut off discs. I was cutting wrong and going through a disc per cut.

And Danny started out using his Brother who had a shop. Danny figuired it was so much fun he jump in himself and now welds his own stuff.

Anyways it is all about having fun and saying you built it your self. Look forward to your project.

Alco1958
10-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Thank you.:)
I guess it might take a while before I post pictures of anything but cut fingers and a pile of scavanged parts. I am very encouraged by the welcome I have received. The most important component beihd a scavanged welding machine .
Very refreshing finding people so creative and friendly. Az is Arizona right ? Sounds great as the sleet beats on the windows here .
cheers 😊

darnthedog
10-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Thank you.:)
I guess it might take a while before I post pictures of anything but cut fingers and a pile of scavanged parts. I am very encouraged by the welcome I have received. The most important component beihd a scavanged welding machine .
Very refreshing finding people so creative and friendly. Az is Arizona right ? Sounds great as the sleet beats on the windows here .
cheers 😊

AZ has two meanings here on this site. 1) it is Atomic Zombie initials and 2) it does stand for Arizona on m profile with a sunny 32.2 C high today. That's 90 F for those who are not metric minded.
And yes I agree it is far better than sleet your getting. One reason for moving back here. Rather be warm than cold.
Savaged parts, cut fingers, we don't mind here. Shows newbies what to be aware of. When cutting it is better to wear good leather gloves and full length pants. Grinding sparks hurt. And can catch things on fire if not careful. Also the sparks can melt glass and leave imbedded metal on wind shields of you car or truck. Don't ask me how I know that. 2 windshields later I pass on my wisdom. Some don't believe me. Their loss.

edspedalcars
10-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Welcome to the, happy hackers

I also started here by viewing the tutorials. What a treasure.

There's tons of reading to be done, (at your liesure), as the many,
many threads hold great secrets, tips and tricks.

There's way more to learn, here than just building a bike.

I've learned so much more about computing, and picture taking, and video taking, and posting, etc.

So much more fun.

Looking forward to watching, another newbie, growing from the student, to the teacher.

Radical Brad
10-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Greets!

Before you know it, you will be the one handing out advice and showing off build photos!

Brad

Alco1958
10-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks ,
all tips and advice are gladly accepted. Yupp grinder sparks on windshields are a bummer . You dont notice till it rains then they rust .
i am trying to plan a workshop right now. Any tips on welders ? A MIG welder is not going to do the job is it . Whats a good allround spec for a welder to start with ?

Twinkle
10-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Hi there
A lot of us use gas/gasless mig , get the one with the option rather than the cheaper gasless one .
Grab a grinder , drill press and a hand drill and you are ready to do anything

Several threads on the forum about welders

Regards Emma

Big Bunny
10-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Hello from the UK and welcome.

I was new to this only a few months ago (although I joined the site a while back, but did not have the workshop space until this year). No welding experience at all, just a determination to build my own AZ project.

I started with stick welding, got the basics down but soon switched to MIG and have not looked back. Much easier to control. There is loads on You Tube to get you started; ChuckE2009 has a great series on all types of welding and WeldingTipsAndTricks is another excellent channel.

The folks here at AZ are more than helpful, there is loads of good advice in the forums and blogs.

Start a blog and post your progress.

Cheers
Simon

Alco1958
10-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Excellent 😊
thanks lads . I think Ill go for a MIG welder if you guys have good experience with that . Have at least tried that once. Drill press ? You mean a vertical drilling machine ? Have looked at some stuff and was actually surprised how reasonably priced things were. I think i will need good conversion tables imperial / metric and I am on my way . When I say reasonably priced I mean by Norwegian standards 😊
thanks again really impressed by the response and offers of advice .

Ticktock
10-26-2014, 12:30 AM
Hi from China--yes we are everywhere--you never know where we pop up next!
Your profile says Norway, yet your English suggests other places where English is the native language.
All good tips so far. Just to add to the sparks warning. Them little sparks really do have a built in navigation system--direct to your windscreen or car paint!
They destroy either in seconds. You find out when you go to use the wipers! Now how did we learn that one?
Other than that, with care you will end up with a good bike, and still have a house standing.
Don't like the sleet idea--I'm going back to Australia to get away from the Beijing winter--14c is too cold for me. And its gets colder where you are!
I must correct Dan (he was just being polite) --pictures are a must on this forum--helps most of us help you, amuses some, and may save a million words and misunderstandings. Apart from that, we just want to know what you are doing!
Have fun,
Steve G

charlie_r
10-26-2014, 07:12 AM
Welcome to the Krew!

I'm sure that you will be OK with whatever you decide to build.

As others here have stated, the tutorials are a great place to start giving you the basic knowledge of what you will be working with.

When you start to do your own welding, practice first on some of the scrap you will inevitably have from disassembly of donor bikes. You'll see just how easy it is, and how easy it will be to make a mistake. When you are comfortable with your welding, then start on your project. Believe me, it's not fun to have a good looking but poorly executed weld fail at 20+mph (32kph), dumping your rump on the ground. I am in no way trying to discourage you. Look around at how many here started with absolutely no welding experience. If they can do it, so can you!

Alco1958
10-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Thanks
i am reading all I can find in the tutorials and other places.
you are correct I l
have lived in Norway for 30 years but I am from Scotland hence my shame at never having welded.
I was born on the Clyde. I think even my grandmother could crack an arc 😉.
sadly the industry is gone there had to travel to get work and here I am.
have great respect for the quality of a build having had a rewelded bike frame snapp on me when i hit a manhole cover once. Learned a bit about frame collapse there.
thank you for your response and the minute I have something to photograph I will oost.