PDA

View Full Version : Sparky project gone wild

NewAge
07-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Hello all, I would like to share a project that my 11 year old Son and I started almost a year ago as something that we could build while spending quality time together. Not knowing exactly where to start, I found and purchased the Sparky plan and since then it evolved into what we now call "Electrisaurus Rex" shown here resting after a vigorous test session of drag racing up and down the street.

E-Rex uses a Briggs and Stratton Etek motor, an Alltrax AXE programmable controller, 48 volts (12x4) 20 amp hour batteries, all linked up with 6 awg wire. The package produces 9 horse power constant and 19 horse power peak. It is currently geared to reach 45 mph which it does easily in under 4 seconds at a programmed 80% max output. It seriously powers the front end up like a GP superbike anywhere in the power curve, (fun and scarey at the same time). Run times are about an hour cruising around, and about 30 minutes racing around.

I owe a great deal of this projects success to the information that I attained from the Sparky plans, Thanks

kingofalldrunks
08-21-2008, 08:53 PM
that's pretty damned cool! a touch scary on that top speed, but pretty encouraging, considering that's roughly the motor i want to use for a street legal scooter. great job!

AtomicZombie
08-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Right cool, thanks! That thing would be a blast to ride for sure. I loved taking Sparky to camp and having people chuckle as I drove by very slowly. I would then "light it up", spin up the dirt and haul off like a rocket!

I bet you can spin up that rear wheel with that powerplant.

Cheers!

Brad

jimFPU
08-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Where is a good place to get some of these little motors? I have the EG book, and will look again at how to build one...

Bunk
08-22-2008, 11:01 AM
It would be funny for your son to pull up to a kid with a regular gas powered mini bike. Then the electric blows the doors off of the gas powered one. It would really get kids thinking that hey, electric is pretty damn cool and fast.

Great project, I'm sure your son it the talk of the neighborhood now!

Kyle

gillespie
09-24-2008, 01:02 AM
NewAge, that is a scary, scary thing of beauty, but I've gotta ask...what was the final tally?
Actually this is a general question too...how much has sparky cost people to build?
I'm been looking at list prices and based on that it just seems crazy to build a sparky with my boys...maybe there are deals to be had scrounging?

Pagan Wizard
09-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Great first post NewAge!!! Also.....welcome to the Krew.

NewAge
09-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Gillespie, yeah scary, but it keeps things exciting, heart pounding fun, which started as a friendly Sparky project and evolved into a Frankenstein (my hot rodding roots just couldn't be surpressed). To answer your question I have about $2500 invested in E-Rex which is currently disassembled due to a looping crash just last weekend at about 25 mph. No worries, it is the second time that has happened and E-Rex will be better than new shortly, this time the frame is undergoing a 4" extension to address the tendency of having the back wheel outrun the front wheel, additionally a gear change will be instituted to go from the current top speed of 45 to a new cap of 55. IT'S ALIVE!! (i hope i know what i'm doing).

Trailblazzzzzer
09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Invest in a good helmet, leather chaps, and a flack jacket.
Oh, and casualty insurance.
Man that setup would be killer with 4 wheels.
Then they would call it a go kart though.
Post a video, would love to see that thing fly.
Davo

lumo
09-26-2008, 01:36 AM
awesome,
one question, which model of the "Brriggs and Stratton" motor and "Alltrax AXE" Controller
did you buy?

NewAge
09-27-2008, 08:53 PM
E-Rex consisted of the "old" etek motor and the Alltrax 4834 AXE controller, now there are better combos available now from http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts.php including the German PERM 132 which I believe Brad is using for a current build (update please) big bucks but well worth the end results. ***, I love this stuff...

lumo
09-28-2008, 05:35 AM
i looked this one up:

Perm Kit AXE 7245

Perm PMG-132 Electric Drive Kit. Includes; Perm PMG-132 electric motor, Alltrax 7245, Magura throttle, Contactor, fuse and holder, wire and lugs.
Matching left handle bar grip
Curtis PB6 Style Pot Box
Coil Voltage
$1720.00

but what does this mean?
Matching left handle bar grip (twist grip magura , guess default is right...)
Curtis PB6 Style Pot Box (instead of the grip?)
Coil Voltage (AC/DC?)

NewAge
09-28-2008, 02:20 PM
i looked this one up:

Perm Kit AXE 7245

Perm PMG-132 Electric Drive Kit. Includes; Perm PMG-132 electric motor, Alltrax 7245, Magura throttle, Contactor, fuse and holder, wire and lugs.
Matching left handle bar grip
Curtis PB6 Style Pot Box
Coil Voltage
$1720.00

but what does this mean?
Matching left handle bar grip (twist grip magura , guess default is right...)
Curtis PB6 Style Pot Box (instead of the grip?)
Coil Voltage (AC/DC?)

That set-up is a powerhouse, E-Rex is more like the E-tek-R Kit for $950 and trust me it has plenty of punch for a minibike. To answer your questions though the matching grip is just the mate for the left side handlebar (the right grip is the electric throttle) the pot box is used for a different application like sailboat trolling motors. The coil voltage is referencing the contactor solenoid, the coil voltage should match the overall voltage of the system. The contactor solenoid is a safety device that opens and closes the main power loop, it works on a low power loop within the system and is an absolute must have item. check out the schematic
http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc100-045-A_DWG-AXE-No-Reverse-wire-dia.pdf
The Controller has a letter/number code, AXE means that it is fully programmable from a pc interface, the first two numbers reference the voltage, the third number references the max amps 3=300amp 4=400amp, the last number is the controller package 4 is shorter, 5 is longer and generally the longer is more heavy duty and is capable of delivering higher power. E-Rex is 48volt and 300amp max which produces up to 19 horsepower. That Perm set-up that you referenced can handle 72volts and 450amps max capable of a whopping 34 horses (ususally reserved for full size motorcycle conversions). The kits come with practically everything you will need, choose wisely, 72 volt systems can require 100 lbs of batteries or more, 36 or 48 volt systems can be more economical and practical for recreational use. Another factor in choosing your system is battery amp hour capacity but we'll save that for later.

lumo
09-28-2008, 04:03 PM
i would mount the stuff to a streetfighter like model ;)
so too much power is impossible ;)

so you say 4 batteries with 48volts serve more power than 6 batteries with 72 volts?

i need to drive about 100km far (and i want to drive fast! as this funny thing could bring me to work in the morning! :D)

NewAge
09-28-2008, 09:43 PM
i would mount the stuff to a streetfighter like model ;)
so too much power is impossible ;)

so you say 4 batteries with 48volts serve more power than 6 batteries with 72 volts?

i need to drive about 100km far (and i want to drive fast! as this funny thing could bring me to work in the morning! :D)

No, rule of thumb is 72 rpm per volt on the Etek, a 48 volt system would yeild 3456 rpm while the 72 volt system works out to 5184 rpm's, a wider powerband but it is the systems ability to deliver the amps which makes the power, more volts combined with more amps means more power.

Your bigger problem is clearly that you want to go 60 miles on one charge, even the $8000 turnkey set-up from ElectricMotorsport seen here http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_electric_motorcycles.php boasts a 50 mile range at 70 mph using about $4000 in lithium batteries. My E-Rex uses much more economical lead acid batteries ($350) which gives me no more than 10 miles per charge.

Range is currently the downfall of the electric vehicle, but battery technology is making big strides year after year, you just have to make the most of what's offered today.

lumo
09-29-2008, 02:17 AM
hmm so i would have to get the 48volt system with 4 batteries, and recharge at work...
how long does it take you to recharge??

btw.. where did you see the Kit for $950? i only saw some for 1500$++
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_motors_pmg132.php

ok i found your 950$ stuff
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_motors_etek-r.php
whats a REGEN controller?
isnt it possible to save energy if i pedal? (a mate has such a thing (PEDELEC) he pedals and saves ~100W of power... depending on how fast he pedals)
actually this is the most interesting stuff (as you can really increase your travel speed and range)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedelec

thanks!

PS: going 60miles would be perfect, i can live with minimum of 13 miles (one way to work, better would be 26-30 miles... so i can drive back too... without pedaling)
PPS: anyone got this implemented (or is the stuff above already using this "feature")

NewAge
10-02-2008, 10:33 AM
lumo,
You keep mentioning "peddling" maybe you need a Crystalyte hub motor, my brother has one on his cruiser bike and tells me it does 45 mph.
Go to http://www.electricrider.com/ and check out the Phoenix hub motor, if you had the hub motor and an Atomiczombie CycleBully loaded with 4 50amp hour batteries you may get 50 miles per charge.

Regen is a nice concept but it really only puts a small percentage of energy back into the battery pack, but every little bit helps, you would need a controller capable of regenerative braking.

AtomicZombie
10-02-2008, 10:47 AM
The Brute motor is on my next year's shopping list for sure. I might run it at 72 volts and make myself a mini motocross.

Brad

NewAge
10-02-2008, 01:34 PM
The Brute motor is on my next year's shopping list for sure. I might run it at 72 volts and make myself a mini motocross.

Brad

Sounds like a wheelie machine Brad, you gonna run full suspension?

MotorMike
02-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Nice job on the build New Age. Sounds exciting. I am hoping to build my own Sparky with a twist. Thanks for the plans too AZ!!! Have you weighed Erex? Im hoping to keep mine under 200lbs.

SirJoey
02-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the Krew, MotorMike! :)

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

NewAge
02-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Nice job on the build New Age. Sounds exciting. I am hoping to build my own Sparky with a twist. Thanks for the plans too AZ!!! Have you weighed Erex? Im hoping to keep mine under 200lbs.

Thanks MotorMike, E-Rex weighs 140 lbs ready to ride. I am currently putting together a 36 volt hub motor cruiser bicycle for commuting back and forth to the local pub, I got my inspiration from this site http://www.marrscycles.com/ check it out!!

MotorMike
02-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome Sir Joey! So I think what I have come to terms with on my own is that this will make a splendid donor bike (http://www.usapocketbikes.com/x22/) or the X18. I like the wheel size and feel of a midbike vs. mini. Now if I can find one used for cheap or with a blown motor, that would be ideal!