PDA

View Full Version : eBay sniped a set of pipe benders..... Bargain I think.

DannyC
12-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Using an e-bay "sniper" program I managed to successfully win an auction for a set of pipe benders.
It covers pipe sizes 22, 20, 18, 16, 15, 14, 12, 10 & 8mm.
I was delighted to get it at the auction price of 45.00 and I think it will make a good addition to my toolkit.
Bought & paid for, just awaiting delivery.

bambuko
12-15-2014, 10:46 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-61TxQafUETI/Ub9DB3rRtiI/AAAAAAAANzY/iC21niSyX1I/s800/worthless.gif

:rolleyes4:

DannyC
12-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Sorry, didn't realise pipe-benders were so "pictorially-significant" ;-)
http://s5.postimg.org/xhbx1ijmr/pipebenders.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/xhbx1ijmr/)

Here is one of the pics shown on the ad on e-Bay.
It looks to me like a set of replaceable "heads" on a standard handle.

bambuko
12-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Looks like good deal and at 45 even if they will only be useful for making seat frames? well worth the punt.
Let's hope they are up to the job!
BTW the formers - aluminium?

DannyC
12-15-2014, 02:09 PM
They may very well be Aluminium Chris.
I suspect that they are for fairly light-gauge metal tube; especially as they go down to 8mm.
Probably a bit "light" for bike type tubes but we shall see.

I have a standard 15mm plumbers bender that I did my CH with, and this may be good for CH @ 22mm & 15 as well as micro-bore.
The guy that sold it used it to make a shower-curtain rail (so, very light stuff).

The brand is Super EGO and they seem to do good products when I do a web search for them, at 45 it's still worth it.

darnthedog
12-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Photos are worth a 100,000,000,000 words of explaination even for just pipe benders.
Looks like a great find. I look forward to photos of the projects you use these on.

PeterT
12-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Those benders look like the ones used to bend copper or alloy tubing, for water pipes and gas pipes. They are too light duty construction to be of use trying to bend metal tubes/pipes

PeterT

Doc.
12-16-2014, 06:43 AM
. . . They are too light duty construction to be of use trying to bend metal tubes/pipes . . .

A friend of mine has a similar set-up, he recently bent up some 20mm x 2mm wall Steel tube with it, for the Wishbones on his Kit-Car.
Worked fine, so it should be OK for anything you're likely to need on a Bike frame.

bambuko
12-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Used with care and not too often, (i.e. amateur rather than professional) this kit is capable of more than what it says on the label:
"...For copper, light gauge mild steel or very light gauge stainless..."

and... with my pedant hat on :)
alloy is a mixture of two or more elements - which one of the many alloys are you talking about?
metal - copper, aluminium, steel etc are all metals (and some of them are alloys as well)

DannyC
12-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Well, gee-whizz guys,

I haven't even got them in my hands yet and already I feel that I will be saying "Doh!" and that there will be forehead slapping on the horizon. LOL.

OK, they may not be suitable for really butch tubing, but we shall see if they are OK if used with a degree of care.

If they work fine I will let you all know. Alternatively, if they fall apart like mouldy putty, I shall keep very quiet and pretend that I have not used them yet....Ha! Ha!

C'mon at the price, its hard not to like at the outset.....although YMMV and you may hate it later.

69giant
12-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Danny, When you do get to try it out, I would keep the tubing well oiled so it will not bind while trying to bend.

DannyC
12-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the "oiling" tip 69Giant, good idea.
The seller has been in touch to say thanks for the purchase and to apologise that he is currently in New York and will be there until Thursday and will send them upon his return.
So I doubt that I will see them until the tail-end of next week (maybe later because of Xmas).
I will let you all know when they appear.

bambuko
01-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Have you used them yet?

DannyC
01-07-2015, 07:06 AM
A good question.... they never arrived and appear to be "lost".
Seller has gone very, very quiet.

DannyC
01-07-2015, 09:42 AM
While the seller has not responded to my "WTF are they?" e-mail I have managed to track the parcel using the rubbish courier company he utilised.
According to their web-site although they were picked up on the 31st of December (instead of the 22nd as contracted) they only arrived at the local (to me) depot recently (5th Jan) and are expected to be delivered here to my home on the 8th.

I live in hope. But I would steer clear of this parcels company because ParcelForce do a better job for less money IMHO.

FrankCrank
01-07-2015, 09:43 AM
....had a similar thing a couple of years back - seller did a runner. You need to make a claim on Ebay - straight forward enough, and once judgement has gone in your favour you'll get a full refund. Last thing Ebay want is a bad reputation, so they ought to do right by you............

darnthedog
01-07-2015, 02:33 PM
While the seller has not responded to my "WTF are they?" e-mail I have managed to track the parcel using the rubbish courier company he utilised.
According to their web-site although they were picked up on the 31st of December (instead of the 22nd as contracted) they only arrived at the local (to me) depot recently (5th Jan) and are expected to be delivered here to my home on the 8th.

I live in hope. But I would steer clear of this parcels company because ParcelForce do a better job for less money IMHO.

What company was used so we know? Never heard of ParcelForce.

bambuko
01-07-2015, 02:47 PM
...Never heard of ParcelForce...
It's UK thing :vampire: (=USPS)

bambuko
01-07-2015, 02:49 PM
A good question...
You are not likely to loose your money, but it is a bit of a bummer indeed :cyclist:

DannyC
01-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Well, if it does indeed turn up tomorrow (as per the awful parcels Co. web-site) I shall be both relieved & surprised.
But no, I hopefully will not lose my money.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all!!

DannyC
01-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Well,

e-Bay settled the case in my favour and have repaid all monies. Good on them.

Never mind. I spoke to the carrier company and they have "lost" the parcel it seems (probably someone thought "that looks handy" and it fell of the back of a lorry shortly afterwards).

Twinkle
01-13-2015, 02:19 PM
maybe this one will suit you
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-UNUSED-IRWIN-HILMOR-GLM-PIPE-BENDER-/201262460084?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item2edc2d6cb4

regards emma

bambuko
01-13-2015, 06:20 PM
be warned - it's copper tube bender
unlikely to be any good on steel tubes...

FrankCrank
01-13-2015, 10:07 PM
....if you're only planning to make a seat frame then you don't really need a fancy bender thingy, made 3 seats now from using a couple of old gate rollers - just saying like....:cheesy:

DannyC
01-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Now I feel bad. :-(
I had need to travel over to the town where the carrier has their local depot in order to pick up a replacement "programmed" key for my wife's new car at the Citroen dealer there.
On the off-chance I thought I would see if I could find the carriers depot and go ask a few pertinent questions as to what had happened to the parcel.

Long storey shorter.... I walked away with the parcel which had been left in a storage bin and forgotten (and was soaking wet).

I have the set of benders in my possession. I will have to let e-bay and the seller know that I've got them now.
I truly believe however that if I had not gone over there and made a fuss and shown them the tracking info from their own web-site that I would never have received these at all.

Now I have my paws on them I can confirm that they appear to be very solidly made indeed with each size "head" and associated pressure die being linked with a very solid 24mm x 8mm steel radius bar/arm.
It is not the "lightweight" set I was fearing it might be.

DannyC
01-27-2015, 03:05 PM
The Seller and I have had an exchange of messages and we have agreed that I will indeed pay him (of course) but not the full shipping price (because of the total failure to deliver and me having to hunt the item down and collect from a depot).
We settled on a payment from me to him of 50 and not the 65 it would have been if the delivery had gone smoothly. I know he charged me 20 for 48Hr. Delivery but his costs (using the awful carrier he used) were only 9.58.
So meeting him in the middle, by paying what I bid for the item PLUS half of his actual shipping costs means no-one has really lost out. This was the most honourable way to complete the transaction (IMHO).
We are (I believe and sincerely hope) both happy with the new deal as it has not been a good experience for either of us, but no-one is a "loser".