PDA

View Full Version : New builder in Berthoud, Colorado (northern CO front range)

Papa Bear
02-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Hello all,

I'm Eric, a new builder in northern Colorado. Definitely a newcomer to bike hacking/building, but it's never too late to learn.

I own a SWB USS recumbent (a Haluzak Horizon), though it doesn't get as much use these days since I live out in the country and it's just too twitchy on rough gravel roads.

I'm a big fan of USS steering, though, so am looking to build a USS tadpole trike that'll help me get out and ride more. Might eventually want to add an electric assist - at 46 my knees aren't what they used to be, and I don't know what the odds are of them ever being able to spin my way up to somewhere like Estes Park.

I'm also part of the local Burning Man community, and have an interest in taking whatever I build out there (as well as building a side by side tandem for my wife and I, or even some kind of four-seater for the entire family... but first, my trike).

darnthedog
02-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Welcome to the fun.
As you already have plans to build multiple projects I might suggest you plan a 6 plan purchase. And include the Warrior and the Streetfox. There are a few who have combine the best of both plans. And the plans are more guides rather than blue prints to copy exact. Twinkle has been electrifying Streetfox hybrids for a while now. The US is not quite as restrictive as UK on speed but A bit more power and not going to change any over all how to's. As to knee issue the best thing to keep in mind there is shorter cranks and spinning rather then pushing to keep from injuring further. A low enough gear and you can spin up Estes park without issue. You won't do any speed records going up. But you will not hurt your knees either.

Radical Brad
02-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Greets!
We know all about those gravel roads. Every project I consider now must have suspension.

Brad

mickg
02-08-2015, 04:12 PM
greetings.
ref your knees something i did for someone i helped with a build was add extra gears.
we got spare wheel hub stripped down front crank unit to largest cog and a the smallest cog from a rear cassette.
now is tricky part welding two cogs to spoke bit of hub dead central.
smaller one to inside.
then cut hangers from old frame decide best place on your frame for them and weld on.
obv making sure everything is square and in line.
more important that small cog is in line with front crank, as you can tweek rear cassette position on axle.
then run chain from bb to small ring and chain from large ring to rear cassette.
last time i spoke to him said made life a lot easier.
pinched idea from one of machines at work.
will send him e-mail when i get chance and ask for pic.

hope this makes sense.

Papa Bear
02-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Yep, I know all about how important it is to spin on a recumbent rather than mash into the pedals. I'll definitely be making sure whatever I build has plenty of granny in it.

Already went for the 6-plan package before I even posted, including the Warrior and the Streetfox. Twinkle's builds look very interesting, as does Zetan's fat tire warrior. I like the Warrior a lot, though if I go that way I'll definitely need to increase the clearance a bit - per Zetan the Warrior rides just a little too low and can drag chain in some of the deeper playa dunes. I think I'd have problems with heel strike in any case - I wear a size 15.

Suspension would also be nice, so some sort of Street Fox/Warrior hybrid may make the most sense. Is there a rule of thumb for which of the two forums (Warrior vs StreetFox) to post to when planning a hybrid?

darnthedog
02-09-2015, 03:32 PM
To prevent chain drag you place the return chain the one running from the BB to the Rear wheel in a PVC tube.

No rules on the hybrid if unsure place it discuss your project as it will be viewed by everyone.

Another hint since you already have the plans. Read through them 2 times to begin with. One time straight through. A second time to stop and make up parts list along the reading. By doing it that way I have found I understand why Brad suggest method of building and get you prepare for the steps afterwards. Otherwise it is why did he do that when this is much easier and when you have read ahead you understand why he did it that way. Also Measure 2 to 3 times and cut once applies with building the bikes.

Twinkle
02-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Already went for the 6-plan package before I even posted, including the Warrior and the Streetfox. Twinkle's builds look very interesting, as does Zetan's fat tire warrior. I like the Warrior a lot, though if I go that way I'll definitely need to increase the clearance a bit - per Zetan the Warrior rides just a little too low and can drag chain in some of the deeper playa dunes. I think I'd have problems with heel strike in any case - I wear a size 15.

Suspension would also be nice, so some sort of Street Fox/Warrior hybrid may make the most sense. Is there a rule of thumb for which of the two forums (Warrior vs StreetFox) to post to when planning a hybrid?

Hi Eric and welcome to the Forum

Size 15 , Run a 24 or 20" rear wheel will give an increase in BB height using the normal Streetfox measurements , This will also help in keeping the gearing low - using a E-bike DNP 11-32 free wheel still gives a sensible top gear about 85" enough to spin to 30 mph . I would advise disc brakes on the front - rear doesn't matter that will lock up whatever you use , 140mm rear disc is more than good enough and you dont need to do wicked things to the chain stay . I use pvc conduit to run the chain in as its quiet , Lots of threads here with hybrid designs - I have built more with suspension than without - The MKll was modified and rebuilt without suspension but is based on a streetfox with a straight boom - most of my builds now use a straight front boom to reduce the track . USS is another luxury that I would recommend. My 20/20 e-trike runs 2.1" eastern burnouts - chosen because they have minimal rolling resistance.

You can always do what I do and post in the bicycle related projects .

regards emma

Papa Bear
02-16-2015, 02:20 AM
Thanks, Emma. The more I think about it and the more I read over the plans, the more I think I'll be building more than one trike... assuming I can manage the first one. :) I'll give that forum a try.

Papa Bear
03-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Just wanted to post a quick update... after wandering off for a while, reading the plans multiple times, backfilling my understanding of basic bike mechanics, looking harder at the areas I'm likely to be riding in, catching up on older posts, and doing some good hard thinking about what I want a bike for and what I'll do with it, I've come to a decision: what I actually want to do is build two tadpoles: one "warrior fox" style hybrid, and one fat-tire build based on the standard Warrior (lifted a couple of inches to account for my size 15 feet).

My thinking here is that I've really got three main types of riding I'll want to be doing:

Back roads: mostly dirt (rough and washboarded, though not 4WD/mountain trail rough)
Local rural paved roads (no bike lane or shoulder, ~45 MPH limit) with eventual forays into town (10-15 miles each way).
Burning man: flat, slow speeds, a mix of hard surface (sometimes rutted) and soft dust dunes/wells. Just 2 weeks per year, but a lot of riding during those 2 weeks.

I'm not into racing and I won't be commuting, so these builds really are all about having fun and getting exercise. Someday I may decide I'm ready to ride up to the mountain communities (Estes Park, etcetera), but those are quite a while out - both in terms of being in physical shape and also being mentally prepared to deal with car traffic on those roads.

I figure the fat trike will serve well for the back roads and Burning Man, and will be serviceable (if not perfectly ideal) for the paved roads. If I eventually decide it doesn't work for me, I can always cut and re-weld it to make a more standard Warrior, or just sell it. The wheels will add weight, of course, but at 6'2" I weigh 250 - I'll worry more about bike weight after I've shaved 40 pounds or so off of the engine.

The Warrior Fox (more descriptively, a USS Street Fox) is going to be more oriented toward paved-road use. It also won't actually be *my* trike. My wife has wanted a tadpole for years after test-riding a couple at a local shop, but we've never been able to justify the cost of one of the commercial ones. She has a milestone birthday (40) coming up in July, so if I can pull it off schedule-wise, I'll build the second one in secret and surprise her with it then. She's already made it clear she plans on borrowing whatever I build, and she was very impressed by the pictures I showed her of what others (including Twinkle, River, and LongRider) have done. Not sure I can measure up to those standards my first time out, but I'm pretty sure it will be well-received nevertheless.

And yeah, if I turn out to like hers more than I like mine, I may wind up building a third eventually... but isn't that how it always starts? :)

MrIdaho
03-31-2015, 01:20 AM
Here are some links I found that have good new parts if needed
Bargain Basement bike parts

(http://bbbp.net/)3/4" Pillow Block Bearing, UCP204-12 | UCP204-12 (http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/m7/UCP204-12--3-4-pillow-block-bearing-ucp204-12.html)

(http://bbbp.net/)Clark's CMD-11 Mechanical Disc Brake - Front or Rear, 160mm, Black (http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/clarks-cmd-11-mechanical-disc-brake-front-or-rear-160mm-black)

eBelting.com, Urethane Conveyor Belting (http://www.ebelting.com/)

(http://bbbp.net/)Brakes/Gears : Cables - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S. (http://www.choppersus.com/store/category/7/41/Cables/)

(http://bbbp.net/)

Papa Bear
03-31-2015, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the links!