PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Axle Nut

hugo
06-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Hello all,

I just can't get the axle nut loose on this axle. I recently bought a multiple sized all-in-one type of cone wrench, the cone nut almost fits in tight, I guess its tight enough(maybe a bought 1 millimeter or a half millimeter loose). Ive used it with a normal adjustable wrench, following the tutorial on this site, but still it wont move at all, its really stuck. Any ideas? Here are pics:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=51bef9da1d55d0f1!326&authkey=!ADOK48sKtMFzjso&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG
http://1drv.ms/1JF2JWE
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=51bef9da1d55d0f1!326&authkey=!ADOK48sKtMFzjso&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

Thanks in advance.

MrIdaho
06-08-2015, 11:54 PM
You first must remove the first thin jam nut before you can remove the larger axle nut.

FrankCrank
06-09-2015, 02:59 AM
...had a couple of these in the past, seems they do them up ultra tight at the factory, or at least one side is.

Best bet, as the locknut looks fairly rounded now, is place it vertically in a vice gripping the locknut real tight, then use the cone spanner to undo the cone nut - may require a few taps with a hammer. Look forward to seeing your cruiser bike, hoping to build one myself soon :stooge_curly:

darnthedog
06-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the fun Hugo.
As you already have the one side off, I am wondering why are you bothering to remove the other side. As it is fixed on hard it is preset for reinstall of the axle after you have cleaned and greased the bearing or replaced then. Unless your planning to replace the axle or cones I personally would just wire brush any rust out of the threads and leave it on. No need to remove and make extra effort centering it all up.

hugo
06-10-2015, 11:53 PM
...had a couple of these in the past, seems they do them up ultra tight at the factory, or at least one side is.

Best bet, as the locknut looks fairly rounded now, is place it vertically in a vice gripping the locknut real tight, then use the cone spanner to undo the cone nut - may require a few taps with a hammer. Look forward to seeing your cruiser bike, hoping to build one myself soon :stooge_curly:

Thank you very much for replying, its a great relief to know that theres nothing wrong with the axle or nut I of the bike I bought. :D I was a bit worried about that.

hugo
06-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Welcome to the fun Hugo.
As you already have the one side off, I am wondering why are you bothering to remove the other side. As it is fixed on hard it is preset for reinstall of the axle after you have cleaned and greased the bearing or replaced then. Unless your planning to replace the axle or cones I personally would just wire brush any rust out of the threads and leave it on. No need to remove and make extra effort centering it all up.

Thank you very much. This reply was very useful to me. I thought I had to dismantle the whole axle to be able to reassemble the wheel again, but now Im sure that I can do it with that cone nut and axle nut in its place where it is, just as it is.