PDA

View Full Version : Changes To the Streetfox

TheKid
07-30-2008, 10:29 PM
It's continuing to get harder and harder to ride this thing, so some changes had to be made. I discovered that the relaxed seat angle was too relaxed, and I need something more upright. So I bolted on a boat seat, and the difference was amazing. So now it's time to take the mesh frame apart and rebend it a little. I also felt I could shed some weight off it. The chains are now on one side. All that's left now is to finish the front derailler tube and BB unit, so the BB mounts under the frame. I started it about 2 months ago, but it wasn't a priority then, so I just tinkered with it now and then. I also wanted a lower gear, so I'm using the crankset I shortened using the method on fleettrikes.com, except for the drill press, which I don't have. There was a lot of oxidation and nicks on the arms, so I sanded them down and painted them. When the paint cures for a day, I'll tape the chainring arm and paint the rings. It's a cheapo Shimano crankset with the rings pemanenly attached. They look good so far, and I should have pics tomorrow.
I also shortened the boom and the seatpost, and removed the rear light bars. The rack will have to be modded a bit, and I'll probably make it a permanent fixture. I hope I could find it. I looked for it a few weeks ago, but it's buried in the garage. (Next project- clean the garage)
With the removal of one set of chainrings and a few feet of steel, the trike lost 6 or 7 lbs. The boat seat is 2 lbs. lighter than the mesh seat, so maybe I'll make a new seat frame from 3/4" EMT instead of 1". The crankset is about a half pound heavier than the Bulletproof set, and the rack weighs just under 3 lbs, so there's 4.5 - 5.5 lbs that was removed from the trike. I hope that helps. Oh, and the left front hub with the pins to hold the disc brake adapter is holding up so far, but I only rode it for 5 or 6 miles, so it may be too early to tell. After the hauler, I'm building a much lighter tadpole with 20" wheels all around, and drum brakes in front. That's a winter project.

trikeman
07-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Concerning the cranksets that have the riveted chainwheels, rather than the bolt on kind, I wonder if anyone has modified a set to be bolt on?

theDude
07-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Sounds good. I might need to put mine on a diet as well :).

TheKid
07-31-2008, 01:50 AM
Yeah, there's always a way to shave weight.

Concerning the cranksets that have the riveted chainwheels, rather than the bolt on kind, I wonder if anyone has modified a set to be bolt on?

I tried it twice. The cranks are held on by a ring, so there's no spider. I tried cutting the two small rings off and using the large ring as a spider, but it bent and cracked the aluminum middle ring. There are some reasonably priced decent cranksets, but for me, they have to be shortened. I may have shortened the first set a little too much. They went from 170's to 130's. They're easy on the knees, but there's not much leverage. I have another set I'm going to shorten, and there's enough meat to go to 150mm. Then I'll have 130's, 140's, 145's, and 150's to see which length is best for me.
I agree with 25HZ that this shouldn't be attempted with steel cranks using the Park's Tools "chaser" taps. Here's a couple of pics: (Both are Shimano)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z66/edpol_photos/Cranks/000_0405Small.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z66/edpol_photos/Cranks/000_0401Small.jpg

trikeman
07-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Nice job Kid - looks it came from the factory that way.

TheKid
08-01-2008, 05:18 AM
Thanks. That's because working with aluminum is easy. I doubt I could get it that good with steel cranks. I posted another thread in the Discuss Your Projects posts. I started shortening the crankset on the right in the pic.

TheKid
08-02-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm going to use the cranks I just shortened for the Streetfox. The large ring will go to the large ring on the mid drive, and the middle ring on the mid drive to the rear wheel. I'll use the boat seat for now, until I finish the fiberglass seat. The boat seat I have now is more upright than the seat I had on the Meridian, but maybe that can be changed with a little cutting and a little bending. I'll have to work on the fiberglass seat fast, because the vinyl on the boat seat is a killer in the summer heat.
With this new chain setup, I'll have a much smaller gear range, but I'll still be able to hit 12-15 mph. With no deraillers to worry about, it should be more efficient, even with the mid drive. I'll be devising an aluminum rack over the weekend, which will shave 2 lbs. off the steel rack.

TheKid
08-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Still figuring a design for the rack. I took the Fox for a test ride, and added 3 lbs., which is the weight of the steel rack. I was amazed at how much easier it is to ride. The boat seat is built with an angle that I thought was too upright, but it made a big difference in comfort. The back is too short, so I'll have to add a neckrest.
I wasn't sure if it was the difference in the weight or the chain system that made it easier to ride, so I tried it again with an extra 10 lbs. It was a little harder, but not nearly as hard as it was before. There are no deraillers or tensioners, just the two chains on one side with 1/2" of play. I was able to get to 90 rpm in 8th gear, which I wasn't able to do before, and even with the 10 lbs. added, I could make it up the hill in front of my house in 4th gear. I had problems before with it in 1st. I feel confident enough to raise the gearing a bit, but I'll add everything on first, just to make sure.

jimFPU
08-04-2008, 12:53 PM
You're gonna have to post some pics for those of us that are grammatically challenged...LOL!

TheKid
08-04-2008, 02:42 PM
:confused: Okay, now I'm stumped. :D
Which changes do you want the pics to show? I did post one pic in another thread on this post. Look at "Deraillers?"
If you look at my avatar, that's the trike I modified. You'll notice the different seat right away. But the chain system is the real change. I had the crankset on the left side, going to an armless crankset on the left side of the BB on the rear triangle. On the right side of that BB, there's an armless 3 ring crankset set up like a normal upright with a front derailler going to the rear wheel, which has a Shimano 8 speed internal gear hub. I eliminated the chain on the left side completely. So now the chain goes from a 44 tooth chainwheel on the front cranks, to a 42 tooth chainring on the armless crankset, and from a 24 tooth chainring to the rear wheel. The derailler for the armless crankset was also eliminated, so now the trike is an 8 speed, instead of a 24 speed. It works more efficiently as an 8 speed, despite the reduduction in gear range.

jimFPU
08-04-2008, 04:25 PM
I saw the other thread thanks.

TheKid
08-04-2008, 05:26 PM
:o Thank you. I was beginning to think i couldn't think anymore. But I think my thinking isn't all gone. I think.
Anyway, I've been working on the rack, and since the real seat will have an intregal neckrest, There's no need to weld one on for the boat seat. I also figured out that I can attach the tubes for my cane and fishing rod to the seat instead of the rack. I have plenty of PVC from the quad, which will make those lighter in weight.

TheKid
08-08-2008, 03:18 AM
I needed a little more room on the rack for a small pouch for tools and spare tubes. I found my old carpenter's belt fits the bill perfectly. I just took the pouches off one side. It's about 1 1/2" thick with the tools I carry, which are a ratchet, 13mm socket, 14mm socket, 9/16" and 15mm combo wrenches, 1/2" x9/16" open end wrench, chain breaker, and tire levers. The air pump is screwed to the frame. I'm planning on putting a piece of fiberglass under the rack, the adding 2" of fiberglass around the perimeter, making a box. The top piece of fiberglass will get a hinge, and the tool pouch will go in the box. I'll also add a latch and a lock.
The weather has been a tad cooler and a lot less humid, so the boat seat has been comfortable. It came with a strap with snaps, so when folded, it can be held down with the strap. I don't need it, and there's a half a snap on the back of the seat. I hate to see it go to waste, so I'll use the pouches from the other side of the belt and snap it onto the seat to hold little stuff like snacks, and envelopes for when I go to the bank and post office.