PDA

View Full Version : Hi I am Paul

paul
08-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Hi I am Paul Fellows.
I have joined AZ after seeing references to this site on the cycle chat forum.
I am not relay a builder, although I wish I was.
My thing is dreaming up there ways of doing the same thing, such as http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-very-easy-access-trike.185379/
Imagine my disappointment when the first thing I read on the site was a bit of a rant about conservatism of the designs on here, and the response that it has to be done that way because that is what works.

My first question is
is there a spot on here where people share there own ideas?

edspedalcars
08-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Welcome Paul

You can, be all you can be, and all you want to be, here.

There are many who are 'doing their own thing', using the lessons, and examples Brad has included in his plans.

My Inferno build should demonstrate that, very well.

This IS a great site, to ask for opinions and suggestions, from novices to experts.

As you become familiar with all the categories, you will soon know 'where' your posts might go.
Then it's up to you, as to which category your subject matter will fall in.

BUT! if we get it really wrong, KOOLKAT, will give us a gentle nudge and set it right. (Extremely Rare)

Jump in with 'your' desired build and let the ideas flow.

Have fun with it, and all of the AZ community.

Twinkle
08-13-2015, 02:19 PM
Hi Paul

And welcome to the Forum , you will find the likes of Sandman and Frank the Crank on here as well as me , the "discuss bike related projects " is probably where you want to look , We all started somewhere and we hope you stay for a while and make friends . Stuee visits once in a while but I think he is waiting for Technology to get into Scotland , but it is difficult getting it over Hadrian's wall .
Being an international forums you will find people from all walks of life and enjoying a common interest in building their own dream .

We all modify and build to suit ourselves , The topics you will find are more diverse than the C C forum . We are not adverse to chopping up bikes for frame parts , or modifying parts to suit .

Come on in and sit right down and enjoy !!!!

regards emma

darnthedog
08-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the fun Paul.

I suggest you grab a welder and learn to weld- Then you can call yourself a builder to see what works and what does not work and figure out why.

There are hundreds of ways to skin a cat- The only issue is finding the one that suits you.

We all start from somewhere. A great recent Example is Danny C. He had his brother help him build his first trike and thought that looked like fun. So he picked up a welder and learned to build his own in his own plan.

So join the fun- pick up a welder and get building.

FrankCrank
08-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Welcome Paul,

Doubt you'll find a better site for DIY bike building, whether it's recumbents or any other type of cycled/assisted vehicle.

I'm from the UK (Reading), but now live in the tropics. My particular penchant is stainless steel, having built a trike and LWB from this wonderful material.

Most here would recommend getting some of Brad's plans, and getting a head full of ideas as to what and how to build. Basic hand tools are all that's needed after that, and some means of welding/brazing.......and of course some donor bike(s) for loads of cheap parts. Please do ask questions and pick our brains, that's what we're here for.......:)

slippy
08-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Paul, I started here not too long ago, and with the help of a great friend I now have 2 of my own trikes. I do think there is great value in initially building from the plans. At 6 plans for $36, Brad has really worked hard to cut the learning curve to build working bikes. He has found some great parts that work as well for much cheaper. If you buy these parts from bike/ trike manufacturers, you will run up a pretty penny really fast. I built a trike for the cost of a trike seat. As you read you will find there are many making some pretty wild stuff on here. Had I tried to go on my own and figure it out, I cant begin to count the mistakes I would have made, and the extra $$$$$$ that would have gone with it. The nice part about the forum is you cantake your ideas and bounce them off people who have tried similar things learning from other peoples mistakes and successes. As with any public forums, rants are a common place. Just throw your hands up or in a friendly way rant back. I just cant tell you how happy I am to be riding a trike that I built that steers correctly and ride like a dream for the cost of a typical mountain bike, and the knowledge and skills I have learned are priceless.

Radical Brad
08-13-2015, 11:25 PM
What works is what you enjoy doing!
Break the rules, ignore the "experts" and just build something.
This is how innovation is born.

Brad

rykoala
08-14-2015, 05:15 AM
What works is what you enjoy doing!
Break the rules, ignore the "experts" and just build something.
This is how innovation is born.

Brad

I could not agree more. Too many times people will tell you what can't be done. Just do what you want, experiment, and have fun- and stay safe doing it :)

paul
08-14-2015, 05:42 AM
Hi all and thanks for the encouragement to get started.
I appologyze for misjudging yous on the strength of the first rant i came across.
i have read a few more of the threads and i must say the green mamba tilting trike is brilliant.