PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Saved.... 'How to recover?'

edspedalcars
12-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by DuncanM23 View Post
Damn forum just lost an epic post...

Originally Posted by bambuko

Nothing wrong with the forum, it's the user...
Forum auto-saves as you type and if this is not good enough you can always copy your "epic" to keep it safe.

Timely subject matter

You are not alone, this has happened to me on numerous occasions.

'Sometimes' the "Restore Auto-Saved Content" will appear,
but I don't know how to get to that point, (if that is possible), when I need to.

I have researched how others recover their 'draft' posts, but generally,
everyone says to use the "Restore Auto-Saved Content". Which I have done on some occasions,
but only when 'it decides' to appear.

Otherwise I am left as you, having to recall and rewrite, all that was written,
which is usually different than the first thoughts.

OK, I just got an Auto-Saved, in the lower right hand corner. NOW WHAT ?

It just Auto-Saved again???

Where did it go?
How do you get it back?
Can you view it some place?

MrIdaho
12-11-2015, 07:31 PM
I just write my post then copy n paste into NOTEPAD. Do the same when posting pics. I upload my pics then get the url from Photobucket and paste it into a notepad . Saves having to go back n forth or one loses there post.
The notepad in a win app.

bambuko
12-11-2015, 08:22 PM
...'Sometimes' the "Restore Auto-Saved Content" will appear,
but I don't know how to get to that point, (if that is possible), when I need to...

Restore Auto-Saved Content will appear as an option (bottom LH corner of your reply window) only if Auto-Saved had happened and you have come out without actually posting the reply.
If, after not posting the reply (and having auto saved), you come back to the thread and open reply window again, you will see the button in bottom LH corner - click on it to restore what was last saved.

like so:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yjoFhA17GdE/VmtoRWzUQkI/AAAAAAAASAI/eV76p2nqxqs/s800-Ic42/auto-save.jpg

edspedalcars
12-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks Bambuko

I tried a test post with a 'auto-saved' remark.

I closed the thread, closed AZ website, came back and opened the thread back up.
The 'auto-saved content' was there, as I have seen and used before.
The first time, my remarks came back, after clicking on the 'auto-saved content' block.

Upon a second try, clicking on the 'auto-saved content' block did not bring back my remarks,
until the third or fourth click. But I did get them back.

So, what I have learned from this little exercise, is that one MUST pay attention to the 'auto-saved'
light, and/or WAIT until the auto-saved has flashed before moving on.
Also to have patience, while waiting for the computer to regenerate the content.

I am used to, manually saving, as I generate text, in my newsletters.
Here I must WAIT, for the computer, to catch up to me.

I'm not sure I have found the answer, to every situation, where I have lost posts,
but doing this exercise has helped to understand how I need to interact with ......'AUTO-SAVE'

MrIdaho

My newsletters are from 4 to 10 pages long, and I most certainly use the method you are suggesting.
But in my case I have templates to get me started, and I can save as I compose.

FYI...while writing this post, I haven't seen one 'auto-save'. Will have to wait for it to appear.
10 seconds......It just appeared, I must be safe to go.

Where did it go? ............................... Still don't know!
How do you get it back? .................... Pay attention to what you are doing, don't make mistakes, and look for the 'auto-saved' icon before you move on to something else.
Can you view it some place?............... Apparently not

bambuko
12-12-2015, 06:00 AM
Yes, I personally don't bother with auto save either (just use "select and copy" manually as a temporary backup), but on rare occasions when I forgot to do it manually, auto-save has saved the day ...
and btw afaik you cannot see auto-saved stuff until you restore it.

rykoala
12-12-2015, 03:47 PM
We run into things like this all the time where I work. Our main systems are web based and browser crashes and other errors can cause the loss of work if we're not careful. If you use Google Chrome, then the Lazarus Form Recovery plugin is very very handy. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lazarus-form-recovery/loljledaigphbcpfhfmgopdkppkifgno?hl=en

It saves things for you and will restore them when you click on its icon. That way if something goes awry during a post (browser crash, internet loss, power loss) you'll still have it.