PDA

View Full Version : New build

remus
02-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Hi I am new to bike building but not to recumbents I used to ride years ago. I have all the frame material ready to start but need to practice my welding it was part of my trade. This build will end up as an electric power assisted bike or even a trike l will keep you all informed as the project go's on

darnthedog
02-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the fun remus.
Emma is your resident expert in electric assist in the UK. Aka Twinkle. Lots of builds under her feet. Mostly based off streetfox with some mods such as underseat steering, disc brakes. So enjoy the build.

swizz69
02-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Welcome Remus - enjoy your bike building!

Twinkle
02-10-2016, 05:35 AM
Hi remus

welcome to the fun and the forum , there are a few of us in the UK

where are you in the UK?

regards emma

Radical Brad
02-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Thanks for joining!

Brad

remus
02-11-2016, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome to the forum.l will need some help on selecting an electric rear wheel set. I am quite happy with the use of lipos as l fly Heli's, quadcopters and fixedwing some with FPV.I think I would use my 5200 3s 10c in series to give 36v or 48v this should give me me a few miles of help when needed I could parallel a second set. So what wattage would be looking for I will be using it on the road in the Spirit then moving it to a Street Fox trike . Emma has asked my location. I live in the Newcastle area in Northumberland.

Twinkle
02-11-2016, 01:08 PM
Hi remus ,

we fly fixed wing electric about 500watt output models ( I am also on RCG ) , with that out the way I have electrified several trikes and bikes and have used lipo's , lifepo4 and a lot of other batteries - at least I dont need to explain the problems with lipo's .

I have about 4 e-trikes 2 using q100 BMS rear hubs running 10s packs , as you have a lipo charger you can use that to charge them properly BUT there will be no low voltage cutout so I would still abvise wiring in a Battery Managment system .
the other 2 trikes , one has a DD motor system which is not good for assist and the other uses a xiongda 2 speed system ( the motor rotates in the reverse direction for low gears . Range on a 10s 5ah battery is about 8 miles so really you want 10s2p , Try reading the Feb 14 , jan 15 newsletters and serach for the " 20/20 e-trikes " and the continuing story will give you lots to think about in the streetfox variant trikes .

Currently the 20/20 use a lithium 8ah pack and a 5ah get you home battery ( I am currently wiring up the BMS on that one ) they are streetfox/warrior variants with a straight boom , disc brakes ( NEEDED with electric assist ) and Under seat steering

the 20/20's at rottingdean
http://s12.postimg.org/jagidz8h9/rottingdean.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/c78myd31l/full/)
img host (http://postimage.org/)

please feel free to PM me if you have any questions

emma

remus
04-13-2016, 10:24 AM
Up date on my spirit build
The frame went together easy and lined up well I now have wheels on BB chain set and seat on tomorrow I hope to get the stem made and have a run down the street then if all is ok start to paint it then start the rebuild.

darnthedog
04-13-2016, 01:45 PM
Remus
A recommendation we have made in the past- If your a newbie to welding- Then don't paint it yet. You can primer to prevent rust. But do not completely paint it yet. Ride it for a few weeks and go over all the welds with an eye for cracking and distortion. It is much easier to wire wheel the primer off and touch up the welds that way. Or if you need to add reinforcement to prevent the flexing with gussets.

After a few weeks of regular riding, if no issue you can sand the primer and add more then do the full paint job. This is a precaution for the newbie welder. If your an Expert welder then feel free to skip this advice.

There was a gentleman who was video logging his first I believe Marauder build ride a while back. The headtube welds gave way while recording it. This the timely advice as it made an impression on me to ride it a bit to make sure before painting..

swizz69
04-13-2016, 01:45 PM
Good tiiiiimes! :-D