DIY Bike and Trike Plans

Thread: Front Forks - Suspension worth it ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Front Forks - Suspension worth it ?

I'm reading and soaking in the plans for the Timberwolf & Loderunner. Since I'm going to be hauling my dog around in the back, the rear suspension of the Timberwolf makes perfect sense. I got on craigslist to start doing some part searching, and stumbled on a BMX 20" front fork with suspension.

Has anyone any opinions if front suspension worth it, or does it create some instability for a low riding recumbent ?

Default Re: Front Forks - Suspension worth it ?

For a Timberwolf or Loderunner I don't think it is worth it -- the long boom tends to soak up vibrations and anyway, you want suspension around the area that is going to be primarily experiencing the bumps and bruises (hint; you're sitting on it...).

I guess this depends on where you ride the trike and at what speeds and weights. Really rough terrain at 20+mph would probably call for a suspension fork without pause. 10mph on primarily smooth roads and suspension wouldn't be missed. Weight and cost with a potential increase in maintenance for a softer ride when it's needed. Suspension does great for making the ride more comfortable, but it also lengthens the life of various components like spokes, rims and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDensity View Post
    I guess this depends on where you ride the trike and at what speeds and weights. Really rough terrain at 20+mph would probably call for a suspension fork without pause.
    I'd pay money to see a video of that -- doubt a suspension fork would do much good for the brief time one would be on the trike...

No, not worth it!
    Additional weight with very limited benefit, especially on a bike with very lightly loaded front axle.

Images

your wish is my command ?

Regards Paul ...so many bikes to butcher and so little time ....

Images

Hah, funny video.

For that kind of terrain, low COG, you and the dog in the back, the regular Timberwolf rear suspension is enough.
    But if your ride includes climbing kerbs (high and/or many of them), then front suspension, even if front is very lightly loaded, is very well spent weight.

Guess how i know ...

PS
    Until now, in these forums or elsewhere, i was pretty much the only one for which suspension allround was the only way.

Hey Paul,
    Where do I send the check??? ; )