DIY Bike and Trike Plans

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour-ettes trike syndrome.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Tour-ettes trike syndrome.

The previous thread was corrupted with all sorts of side-alleys so i am starting again.

Having enjoyed my taste of "touring" this year I thought I would try to build a better touring machine.

I at last have a date for surgery to repair the damage that was done to my shoulder in May this year (gotta love the NHS when you write them a legal sounding letter).

The repair surgery is scheduled for the 17th of November and so I should probably get my thumb out and make some progress on the new trike.

In a complete departure from the current trike I am going IGH only on the rear-wheel, no cassette (or VHS/BetaMax) but I will be modifying the BAFANG mid-drive with a double chain-ring on of 52-36 to get me some decent Gear-Inches to make up for the lack of the rear 3 x 8 cluster I currently have). The 3 x 8 has to go because I cannot get it to handle the loads imposed by me and the Bafang.

• Round-tube 1 3/4 (45mm) main frame.
    • 20-20 front/rear
    • lower than today's trike
    • Optional rear suspension (solid/spring link) with rear pivot-point.
    • Disc brakes all round (rear as a parking disc only).
    • mesh seat is a must
    • USS but not the AZ StreetFox style single link and tie-bar.
    • Narrow track (30")
    • SWB (c.43")
    • Swearing (UK Term)
    • Cussing(US Term)

I will let you all know how I get on..... in due course.
    Regards,
    Dan.

Weld, swear, grind-off & repeat.

Images

Default Re: Tour-ettes trike syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyC View Post
    The previous thread was corrupted with all sorts of side-alleys so i am starting again.

• Round-tube 1 3/4 (45mm) main frame.
    • 20-20 front/rear
    • lower than today's trike
    • Optional rear suspension (solid/spring link) with rear pivot-point.
    • Disc brakes all round (rear as a parking disc only).
    • mesh seat is a must
    • USS but not the AZ StreetFox style single link and tie-bar.
    • Narrow track (30")
    • SWB (c.43")
    • Swearing (UK Term)
    • Cussing(US Term)

I will let you all know how I get on..... in due course.
    sucker for punishment eh
    good choice only 1 tube size , could even carry a tyre as you will have 5 x 20"
    Huraah
    more weight ?
    independent levers for front brakes ? rear could be a simple calliper brake stops you needing a fancy [ read expensive ] rear wheel ?
    lets the farts out ?
    not to complicated I hope
    is that narrow for a Tadpole ? or just for you , will you get the bars inside that track without fouling your thighs ?
    mine's 36" give or take , 43" limo status
    swearing - rating good at
    cussing ? is that swearing with an American accent

now can I promise you to secrecy ?

only on a recent phone call with Captain Pugwash/Biggles he admitted his trike had the wheels the wrong way around ......

would you credit it ?
    Regards Paul ...so many bikes to butcher and so little time ....

Images

I have to agree with Paul here . makes a nicer finish , do I hear a shout for Garry ?

regards emma
    It can't rain all the time

Out of curiosity- Don't you like your drum brakes on the present trike?

I can hardly wait to see your new rendition of a touring trike.
    What's Next?

Images

Well, if you look at the current trike, the cross beam was cut to provide 2 semi-circles to wrap round the headset tubes, so it is exactly what I did last time and I am familiar with the process. :-)
    I think I will tack a few more tacks in areas that do not box me in tighter and then start me some cutting and filing. :-)
    This is going to be a really nice trike when I am done..... Honest!

TBH, I have learnt an awful lot since my last build and my expectations of what I might be able to achieve are now quite high.

I am still fumbling a bit with my TIG welding, but again, I am learning more every time I put down metal and this is improving too.
    Rome was not built in a day and neither will my trike be.

Cheers folks!

Dan.
    Regards,
    Dan.

Images

....hey Danny, that's quite some shopping list you got there.

Dimension-wise it's pretty much same as my mk2 trike, which now runs a 3-speed Sturmey Archer, so spookily simlilar. If you were to use balloon tyres (Big apple/Big Ben) with the mesh seat, then can't see why you'd need the added complication, and weight, of suspension. Mine also has a straight chain line - no deflections/idlers - makes the build a lot simpler. Your mid-drive will be another story no doubt. I'm fortunate enough to live in a flat area, and a single coaster brake does the job, and again means a very simple build.

Anyways - hope the operation is a success, and look forward to seeing the new project......

Images

Edit: just realised it's Paul's (Stormbird) who has the same wheelbase as me at 36". Wheelbase wasn't a consideration on my build - it just ended up that way. 43" would definitely be more limo-like......why add suspension?........

Images

Hi Paul,
    Good to know I am not the only TIG-enabled person capable of getting poor welds to form on a random or regular basis.
    I think yours may be due to welding out of doors in a force-9 breeze whereas mine is because I am rubbish at welding ;-)
    I think John hit the nail on the head when he compared my cumulative "weld-inches" to the "Weld-miles" of a true journeyman welder who knows his trade inside-out.
    Regards,
    Dan.

Images

Ok, today's learnings.........
    Since this morning I have had a further dabble in this mystic-art called TIG.
    What I have discovered is that:

1. In trying to "avoid melting the edge" you can end up too far away entirely (see picture below).
    2. Edges in thin steel will always melt away so the torch-flame placement/angle is critical.
    3. The "suggested amps" charts for 1.5mm lap-joints (45A) seems to be tosh unless you want to be sitting there for minutes spewing out expensive gas (dished out in LPM/CuFt/Hr.) waiting for a pool to form (wasteful).
    4. If you set the max-amps to 75 and whack the heat in there to start it up and play the pedal you get results.
    5. A lot more practise will be required, so I am cutting up some 1.5mm sheet into strips and I get 2 passes per pair of strips.
    6. I should have done much more practise before now but there's no point moaning, best just get on with it.

It's all learning.
    Oh, I have drilled my main beam ready for the steering pivot too.

Cheers!
    Regards,
    Dan.

Images

I think you might be right Emma. But these are Sun CR18 rims so they will take a pounding before failing.

The alternative is that I put a plug with a thread in the end of the tube and secure with an M8 bolt and a penny-washer.
    Regards,
    Dan.

Images

Here is my update on my "gusset" reinforcement.
    Yesterday saw me able to get a well fitting gusset made for the LH side of the main joint.
    Today I tried (twice) to make a replica for the RH side that would fit equally well.
    Two iterations of Tube notching in the pillar-drill and cutting a replica of the original (used paper-tape for outline capture, unfolded it, applied it to flat stiff card and cut round it.
    Nope! Awful fit on the RH side.
    Here's the puzzling part...... the original gusset does fit pretty well on the RH side (not as good as it does on the left, but pretty good.
    Here are some pictures of the original gusset applied to the RH side and the clone of the original on the LH side.
    Neither is as tight-fitting as I would like for what is effectively a TIG fillet weld on a curve.

So, I came indoors to sulk, err... I mean think.
    I am going to take my template that outlines the shape of the original LH gusset perfectly and turn it over and see if its a mirror-image issue that has been confounding me.
    That's all folks! :-)
    Regards,
    Dan.

Images

The 20/20s are running 32 /42 as this gives a good clearance to prevent tyre strike on tight turns and stability when cornering and the 42" wheelbase adds to the stability with a trike that is still quite short so it fits without problems in the estate car .

good luck with the op in 3 weeks time ,

regards emma
    It can't rain all the time

Images

So, some further incremental progress today. with a successful practise of welding a tube to a plate and the welding of a support bracket/box section to the backrest of the new trike.

I think I may (at last) be getting the hang of this TIG malarkey.
    Regards,
    Dan.

Well that's looking not bad at all.....soon be up to professional level at that rate.

......it's a lot neater than my migging.
    Struggle in getting it into round tube corners particularly.

Images

as most AZ builders would agree, go with square tubing. Way easier to build.
    It rains almost every day here in Washington but it isn't as COLD as Idaho

Quote Originally Posted by MrIdaho View Post
    as most AZ builders would agree, go with square tubing. Way easier to build.

as some of us "crazy" AZ builders would agree, go with round tubing. Way more challenging and fun to build!
    We shall Either find a way or make one...

Gotta agree with Ken;
    Working with round tube is more challenging but imho the finished results are much more refined and def gives one the sense of accomplishing something special.

Images

Today's incremental progress is the welding of the headset tubes into the X-beam (half-way round). I will cut off the outboard excess tubing of the large tube and then form and wrap the ends around the headset tubes and weld all the edges.

Admittedly, the welds are not the prettiest and need some tidying up and washing in, but I think it is mostly OK and I managed NOT to blow great big holes in any of the tubes.

I can't do much more anyway because my little 10L bottle of Argon says it is empty. A 20L bottle is on its way for Wednesday, so I can resume no later than then.
    Regards,
    Dan.

Images

Personally I prefer the look of round tube, and I accept the difficulties it presents as "challenges" to help me learn.
    Besides.....as I still have at least 3 Metres of it on my little workshop I think it would be rude not to make it out of round.
    But I agree that square tube is far, far easier to work with, though less pleasing to the eye.

Having learnt some critical lessons on the last build I am going to be jigging this one to death to try to prevent the minor errors that crept into the last build.
    Regards,
    Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyC View Post
    Having learnt some critical lessons on the last build I am going to be jigging this one to death to try to prevent the minor errors that crept into the last build.
    I totally agree, the more I build the more I believe spending time building a jig really makes a better result. (especially for those of us old enough to experience shaky-hands!)
    We shall Either find a way or make one...

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast