DIY Bike and Trike Plans

Thread: Will this tie rod end be strong enough?

1. Default Will this tie rod end be strong enough?

I bought a pair of tie rod ends online because you can't buy anything here. They arrived yesterday and I only then noticed they're left hand threaded. Made a few phone calls only to discover no one sells nuts that will fit around here. So off to the hardware store and picked up a die. It was M8 threaded originally so I went with 1/4" to ensure there'd be lots of thread, didn't want the old threads cutting across. The piece is zinc and now that I'm looking at how thin it is I'm worried about the strength. All the force on it should go up or down the length, right? Is it strong enough?

https://ibb.co/dKEqzv

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Will this tie rod end be strong enough?

you need a right hand and a left hand thread on the tie rods for ease of adjustment. 1/4" is a bit small. most use 3/8" .
    LH nuts are easy to come by but the LH bolts are far and few between.
    I found using 1/2" box tubing very easy to assemble a tie rod etc. just weld a nut at each end (LH and RH) then you an use a 1/2" wrench for adjustment. Easy pieasy.
    It rains almost every day here in Washington but it isn't as COLD as Idaho

Your ╝" ends will be fine. I use 5/16" male threaded ends, both RH. Setting the toe in means having to take one of the ends off, but for how often you do it, it's not a big deal. i didn't even think of looking for LH threaded parts.

4. Default Re: Will this tie rod end be strong enough?

Cool, thanks. I'll be treating this thing like an airplane and doing a "preflight" check before every ride for the first while just in case anyway, this will be one of the points I inspect.

Blog Entries
    Images

We use 8mm or 10mm rod ends , I have bent a couple of 8mm control arms , on a tadpole The minimum size l would use is 8mm , on a delta i would use 10mm just to be safe.

Regards Emma
    It can't rain all the time

6. Default Re: Will this tie rod end be strong enough?

Mine's not a trike. I'm going to build it with these and replace them when the ones I just ordered arrive.

Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    On a delta i would use 10mm just to be safe.

Regards Emma
    That's got a single wheel in front , Off you have USS and a long pushrod we use 10mm .

Of course that depends on how much you value your life.

Have a good weekend .

Regards Emma
    It can't rain all the time

Images

Hello,

If you weren't going to cut new threads then I would say that that rod end is fine.
    If this is for a delta, then perhaps just weld them on, and then use the goose-neck as your "fine" adjustment.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by thuktun View Post
    I bought a pair of tie rod ends online because you can't buy anything here. They arrived yesterday and I only then noticed they're left hand threaded. Made a few phone calls only to discover no one sells nuts that will fit around here. So off to the hardware store and picked up a die. It was M8 threaded originally so I went with 1/4" to ensure there'd be lots of thread, didn't want the old threads cutting across. The piece is zinc and now that I'm looking at how thin it is I'm worried about the strength. All the force on it should go up or down the length, right? Is it strong enough?

https://ibb.co/dKEqzv

9. Default Re: Will this tie rod end be strong enough?

Look fine to me. I use similar size without issue.