DIY Bike and Trike Plans

Thread: Delta fox electrified

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Delta fox electrified

Planning on electrifying my wife's Delta trike I started last year.
    Cobbled the right angle steering mechanism together so a steering wheel can be used instead of handlebars. NO pedals, just electric. The two rear wheels are 26inch fat tires and planning on building a 20 inch wheel with a hub motor but which one??
    The Golden motor Magic Pie Edge looks promising and I can use the 24v battery from my quad T-bucket.
    Looked at Bafang as well but??
    Need more research
    It rains almost every day here in Washington but it isn't as COLD as Idaho

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Delta fox electrified

Well I am bad, should be banned from AZ as I am working on wiring my street fox with a mid drive motor, the camera is IN THE shop but have yet to take any new pics.
    Been wiring up the massive number of tiny wires for the 2-brake sensors, speed sensor, battery, throttle,lcd display.
    Having to extend wires for all using USB cable wires for sensors and an un-needed power plug for the battery connections.
    The wiring harness plus extensions are too short to go from the rear to the from where the motor is located..
    Soldering all the tiny wires together etc. LOTS of fun. Had to borrow a soldering gun for increased wattage to solder the 14g battery wires together. Everything else using a 25 w soldering iron. Just hope all the wires are correct (testing w/ DMM to be sure.

Well, it's not in my interest to raise a bad mood her about not publishing pictures on every single move, but it sure makes me curious. My electrification should need an upgrade. Especially I miss the brake sensors whilst motor now occasionally kicks in when I use my pedal brake. NOT optimal.

Keep up the good work! (And put that camera on!)

//h

Blog Entries
    Images

Well hopefully tomorrow I can go for a test ride with the electrified Street Fox. Have ridden it around town but with out the mid drive.
    As of right now it has a mid-frame ring gear set up for a lower gear inch final drive 28/48 rear cluster is a 14/34
    LOW is 22 gear inches ( rear wheel off the ground and motor at top speed register 8mph)
    HIGH gear is 53 gear inches which equates to a speed of 24mph
    Really a wide span IMO
    This set up has a mass of wires (2 for brakes shut off, 1 for speed, 1 for throttle, 1 for display, 1 for ON/OFF pedal assist, and 1 for battery
    Motor is a programmed Bafang mid drive with a 46T sprocket BUT the motor is really a 1000W motor that is programmed for 750Watts to make it street legal ( it is stamped with 750 watts but can be re-programmed for 1000 watts, thinking up hill drag racing as there are numerous store bought fat bikes with hub drives. same 48v batteries with 750w hub drives. Will call it a wolf in sheep's clothing--lol
    now for some pics
    [IMG] [/IMG]

1000 watts and rim brakes. Glad I am not riding it.

I refer to Emma's builds with 250 watt motors and she insist on Disc brakes for feeling safe.

But be it on your head. And no clips or method to keep feet on pedals. That's going to hurt if your drag racing and foot falls off.

Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darnthedog View Post
    1000 watts and rim brakes. Glad I am not riding it.

I refer to Emma's builds with 250 watt motors and she insist on Disc brakes for feeling safe.

But be it on your head. And no clips or method to keep feet on pedals. That's going to hurt if your drag racing and foot falls off.

Running 7" and 8" discs on some of the e-trikes now . Serious health risk without disc brakes .

300lbs at 15mph takes a bit of stopping .

on your head be it........
    It can't rain all the time

Blog Entries
    Images

I read a study comparing disc to rim brakes and they stop about the same distance. Only real benefit of disc brakes is weight and appearance.
    Note I am only running this unit at 750 watts presently. After yesterdays test ride, I have to do some re-engineering of the chain line.
    The torque output is FANTASTIC. I apply the throttle to full from a dead stop (in LOW gear) and on gravel it spins the rear tire about 10 feet. On pavement I can squeak the rear tire briefly. I get forced back into the seat.
    ONE big issue, Switching gears I snapped the chain going from the mid idler chain wheel to the 6 speed cluster. I put it in second gear, no problem third gear and it started a clicking sound then POW! broke the chain.
    Remember I have two chains on the mid idler chain ring which I am pretty sure I had a chain collision.
    I really want to keep the mid idler but need to look at gear rations if I drive the rear 6 speed cluster directly off the motor.
    IMO when the chain angle changes (the final drive chain is on the 28t sprocket while the motor driven chain is on the 48t sprocket) the chain collided with the motor driven chain.
    Will investigate today.

Blog Entries
    Images

Seriously I wouldn't use rim brakes they are inefficient .

your build , your life !

regards Emma

Rim brakes can be effective, but it depends on the type used. Check out Youtube for some comparisons. I would think that V brakes would work well, but the Streetfox design would need some modification to use them. However, the style shown in your photos are the same as I put on my wife's Streetfox, and are significantly inferior to the disc's on my Warrior.

Blog Entries
    Images

Am contemplating a GOOD set of disc brakes but then I need to convert the front hubs to 3/4 inch axles as I have a pair with rotor attachment holes already.
    The rear wheel is another story. A rough estimate to install a good set of disc brakes on all three wheels would be in the $150 range.
    Maybe over the winter I will gather up the parts as it gets too cold out in the shop to work.
    I rearranged the chain line so the motor drive the rear cluster directly and ran the rear wheel up on jacks.
    14mph in LOW, 39mph in HIGH
    gear inches in LOW went from 22 in to 37 gear inches. Have yet to ride it as the throttle wire broke as well. I had to add some extensions and the wires are 26g wires and I pulled to much trying to reconfigure the display.
    Wish I had cruise control.

There are alternative to using your 3/4" axles for disc brakes. Good BMX wheel with the thread on adapters. Or you could use a clamped on adapter that was created by Zombies years ago.

As to stopping power- Disc brakes were developed by Down hill cyclist due to brake failure when going down hill. The failure is as the pads on rim brakes heat up, they harden up and their stopping power is reduced if not killed altogether. The Disc brakes dissipate the heat much faster than rims because they hang out in the air. Plus the pad have a larger surface area. And when hydraulics are added you have amplification of the power applied.

Electrification is like racing down hill. Lots of force to get you going. The rim brakes will work for the first couple stops, but as they heat up you have potential for failure. Just like the down hill racers.

Blog Entries
    Images

took the trike out for a test ride and it still has lots of get up and go from a standing start. Not as much when I has 22 gear inches in LOW
    Now it has 37 gear inches but it goes faster. Never got out of LOW and cruised around town at 15mph went up slight inclines no problem as it maintained the 15 mph.
    Plan to get more seat time then dis-amble and paint.
    Suggestions on wiring make-up (the wires are all over the place and need to be harnessed.
    I can't see going over 20 mph. It gets scary so low to the ground
    the 750 watts is plenty of power. Got my$$$ worth for $750 (mid drive motor, two brake handles w/ motor dis-able switches, an LCD display, 48v battery in a removable ,locked case. Luna cycles has a anniversary sale going on. LOTS of info on there site as well as support etc.

Blog Entries
    Images

15 mph a foot off the ground is scarey without good brakes .

regards emma

Blog Entries
    Images

took the trike out yesterday for another test ride and two deer started across the road. I thought, Do I stop or go under one of them? lol
    I have brakes that work but IMO should stop quicker as Twinkle noted.
    Looking at pit bike brakes as they are much cheaper than actual bicycle disc brakes for hydraulic. Add that I want to combine the two front and rear into one or two actuators. There is an ABS module for sale as well.
    http://www.motopartsmax.com
    has anybody done this??
    Oh yea I unexpectedly got the trike to 20mph in second gear without realizing it.

Blog Entries
    Images

I should change my user name to "Accident waiting to happen"

Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrIdaho View Post
    I should change my user name to "Accident waiting to happen"

@accident waiting to happen

2 months with the trex proved how unreliable a 500w ,rim braked and direct knuckle steering trikes was .
    USS and discs turned the trike from an overpowered model T to a jaguar . Grace , space and pace.

At least we know our trikes stop from 40+ mph without problems.

Later's Emma

Blog Entries
    Images

40mph!! are you insane or am I to conservative??
    been looking at hydraulic brake setups and am considering both options of a pit bike/atv disc system or just go with say nagura or shimino hydraulic brakes. My worry is can I connect two calipers to one actuator lever? Need to get rotor thickness, caliper size for the atv set up.

I have in addition to my Warrior build a KHS 500 fat bike that has a 1000 watt Bafang mid drive installed on it. Research I did while converting it showed that the torque delivered by this motor is way in excess of ever what a top athelete is able to produce which can and will break normal chains unless you are very cautious. the answer for me was to buy an e bike rated KMC chain which is made to handle the power, not cheap but in over 800 km's of riding no problems so far.

Blog Entries
    Images

I ordered the hydraulic brakes yesterday. The ones I ordered are designed for a 110c atv Should be enough stopping power.
    http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.ph...iAAEgI7gvD_BwE
    the calipers have bleed screws and a Tee fitting is available to activate two calipers at one time. considering using steel brake lines with hoses to the calipers connection and master cylinders. Ordered an ABS module as well.
    A note on Hugh's post, 1000 watts may not be street legal. Most states limit at 750. Reason Bafang sells the 1000W motors that have been re-programmed for 750W

Blog Entries
    Images

this thread should be labeled Street Fox electrified.
    Delta is one front wheel and tadpole is two front wheels.