DIY Bike and Trike Plans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winnipeg velocar

Default Winnipeg velocar

There is one velomobile that I know of here in Winnipeg, I think it's a quest, and was brought in from the Netherlands. I desire to build something along that line. Been reading about Brads velo and looking on the net for more info as well. I found some info on a Lightfoot cycles velocar made from around 1984 to 2008 thats seems doable. They came in a couple different configurations from a single seat with cargo to a van style even a pickup. Like Brads design they used a delta trike as the frame basis. So with winter approaching and having a heated seperate garage a new build will be started. Not for a speedster, I have the Warrior for that but for a cool little Velocar. Over the next few days I will purchase some plans, and combine them. I,m thinking Delta style, able to carry possibly a passenger with rear suspension and possibly front as well.

Images

Default Re: Winnipeg velocar

Look forward to seeing your work.
    One day when I have an interior workspace again, I will revive my velocar project.

Brad

Sound like a fun project. I look forward to your progress.
    What's Next?

First step completed, I purchased all the Delta trike plans and will spend time reviewing them to be able to make something that I envision. It will wind up being approx 100" to 112" long, 50" high and somewhere around 42" wide. The frame for the body will be steel, as small and light as I can make it and the sides will be coroplast. The roof will have a flexible solar panel-they can bend 30 degrees which will charge a small motorcycle type battery that will operate head, tail and turn lights. It will have 1 door on the right side. The drive system requires some thought. I may go with 1 wheel drive, if so no need to make any special parts, just build a wraparound frame for each rear wheel and then no modification needed to mount the rear wheels. Of course electric assist as well. Not sure about mid or hub drive. I own 2 e assist bikes, the Warrior has a BionX hub drive and the fat bike has a Bafang mid drive and each type has good and bad points.

If your going delta trike, you could drive one axle with electric and the other being pedal so there is no conflict. Two wheel drive is only required if your fighting lots of slipper riding. Sand, Ice, Snow.
    What's Next?

Quick update and plan revision. Read through all the plans purchased and decided a delta trike is not for me. I enjoy riding my Warrior trike way too much. Went on a few rides this past couple weeks and it was just around the freezing mark and my hands do not like the cold so the decision has been made to build bodywork on the Warrior first. The trike now has a mesh seat and it is a little steeper angle than the original plywood / foam seat which feels more comfortable to me. I am using thin round rod 1/8 and 3/16th approx dia to build the body frame. A removeable front boom extension has been added and it will allow the body from the back of the seat to the front to pivot up and forward. The front wheels are going to be enclosed by the bodywork. The "skin" at first will be a lite weight painters dropcloth which will be stretched over the frame and painted. No plans to install a floor at this time. I will also use the existing rear rack to fasten a removeable tailbox enclosing the rear wheel. Same construction style but also using some coroplast on the inside and bottom for room for a few tools, spare tubes, jacket etc. I have started this modification already, so far the boom extension is done and the rod has been bent to the profile over the front wheels. it's snowing outside now so winter is here, perfect time to build. Once a bit more of the frame has been built I will post up some pictures, should be within the following week.

Hi!
    Sounds like an interesting approach and many good thoughts!

If/when you return to the two wheels in the rear strategy:
    I can add som experience to DTD:s suggestion to pedal on one of the rear wheels and assist on the other one.
    That’s the way I’ve been cruising around for two years by now and it seems to work ok.
    Since I’m a bit lazy the primary power comes from the electric assist on rear right.
    As a consequence the velomobile strives a little to the left, I must admit that; One must always keep a hand on the steering wheel.
    It is however not on a disturbing level.

Looking forward to seeing the body, especially floor and sunpanel parts!

//hp

This is the beginning of the trike frame for the body. In the back ground is a sheet of yellow coroplast which will be test covered with the light weight canvas. The wood across the front wheels is there to give the correct spacing and will be removed once a bit more frame has been constructed and it becomes more rigid.

Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    This is the beginning of the trike frame for the body. In the back ground is a sheet of yellow coroplast which will be test covered with the light weight canvas. The wood across the front wheels is there to give the correct spacing and will be removed once a bit more frame has been constructed and it becomes more rigid.
    Was there meant to be an accompanying picture with this?
    Regards,
    Dan.

Weld, swear, grind-off & repeat.

Yes Danny in the post below the statement there is a picture, blame it on my less than stellar computer skills. I did a bit more work on it today, managed to make the framework a bit more rigid and tested the pivot point at the front to make sure all is ok. And now I will take a few days off since there is no hurry on this build.

Here is the framework shown pivoted upwards

Well, time for a minor update. I had the framework just about completed, I thought, then a friend came over to check it out. His 29er bike is sitting in my garage waiting for the arrival of a 500 watt mid drive electric motor, so he shows up fairly often. Anyway we set the trike on the floor and I sat in it to check the fitment, mostly for knee clearance. And it was too low. So, time out for measurements plus a beer or 2 to reflect on the best way to correct it. A while later out came the grinder followed by some tacking of rods and all is good again. Doesn't look a lot different than the previous pictures but has more leg clearance. A couple small braces plus some tabs for the windscreen and then the frame will be romoved from the trike for finish welding. At that time I'll post a new picture. To allow the body to tilt up the tailbox will be a seperate construction but thats a few weeks away yet.

Must be a bit cool in your garage - unless you have heat. I only managed a couple of hours today before my hands got cold.

Willym my garage is heated, I leave a 1500 watt radiant heater on all winter. If the temp is around say 4 below C the radiant heater keeps my garage at a nice working temp. When it gets colder I will add another 1500 watt heater. I've been doing this for years now because in the winter time I like to build projects, that includes a double kayak, a teardrop trailer and 4 jeeps. Hydro is not as expensive here as in other locations, I've estimated it costs me about $365 for each year over and above normal power costs. The benefit is the garage is always warm and no condensation on my tools. When it gets between 20 and 40 below there is a backup woodstove though honestly at 40 below zero going outside is not all that attractive. We dont head south in winter so $365 is a bargain

I have got most of the main frame completed now and the picture shows the frame off and sitting on the work table. Have not weighed it yet but as a bare frame I"m guessing around 15 lbs. Today i was coming up with a means of holding it in the raised position for getting in and out, I think a solution has been found. Also been searching the internet for means of fastening the coroplast panels, seems like very few tapes or glues work well. So today i went to Home Depot and picked up 2 rolls of duct tape, 1 scotch extreme hold and 1 nathua snow and ice tape. Cleaned a small piece of coroplast with alcohol and applied the 2 tapes to see how sticky they were. I feel they will be fine long enough to allow time to use zip ties to "stitch" the panels together.

Not to be critical, only observations from previous readings. But take it for what it’s worth. Sorry I did not mention this early but just saw your design.
    Coroplast is relatively self-supporting. With the exception of a base frame for the tilting up. And a couple cross members inside I did not think it needed a frame work. Just clever creasing and tie wraps to attach the panels together. And tape to seams if you didn't overlap or create a folded seam. At least that is what I have seen in the past. Some examples:

http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/tail...udatailbox.htm

http://www.instructables.com/id/Facet-V1-Velomobile/

https://www.bentrideronline.com/mess...d.php?t=102957

I am thinking your 15 lbs may not be needed in long run. But this is only an opinion and not meant to stop you or change the design. Please carry on. I just thought to bring this up as I saw the wire frame. Previous photo was not very clear so I missed what you were doing.
    What's Next?

+1 on tiewraps to keep things together!
    I have done som repair/reinforcements on my cabrio with superduper Gorilla tape. The cabrio is made of a strechy fabric, not coroplast, but nevertheless: An unforeseen feature was that when standing in the sun during a hot summer day the tape glue softened and things started to move apart. (New cabrio without tape reinforcements is under production....)

Thanks for sharing, I like your garage policy and problem solving process!

//hp

The coroplast is the background is mostly for the yet to be designed and built tailbox. It will only be used in a few spots on the front frame to give for lack of a better term definition to the overall shape. The plan is to wrap the frame is lightweight canvas and then paint it. If the paint is deemed to be unsuitable it may get a fibreglass resin coat though previous experience building a double kayak indicated the resin plus glass really added weight. I am hoping with some use of coroplast to avoid a "zeppelin" look. Once completed by next spring it will need some testing. What the picture does not show is the many curves and angles that will be present in the body.One spot the coroplast will be useful is for the inner front fenders and the enclosed front wheels. As I said it's a test, it may be necessary to modify it or even build build another Warrior, Half the fun is that part. Winters here can last 4 months or longer, I do have snowshoes and also a fat bike that can be used in winter but for the few weeks where the temps can fall in the minus 30 range garage or basement hobbies are great. Thanks for the links darnthedog

I missed the canvas covering in the project. Have you considered Dacron instead? Also used in Kayak building and it does take paint very nicely to make it water proof. It is heat shrunk to give a nice tight looking fit. Again just a thought.
    What's Next?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast