DIY Bike and Trike Plans

Thread: DIY Battery Building

Default DIY Battery Building

There is a lot of info on building DIY batteries on the internet, but not a lot on how well they work. I found nothing relevant using a search on this forum. I am interested if anyone on this forum has built their own. They can be built using soldering, spot welding or by using purpose built connectors. Electrifying my wife's Streetfox will be a winter project for me, and while I have plenty of information on motors, I need more on batteries. Thanks.

Default Re: DIY Battery Building

I've been researching the very same thing for a while now. I've come to the conclusion that a 52V system on a 48V motor is close to ideal, at least for today's technology. Make them from recycled 18650 cells and the sky's the limit as to the Ah you can get (not really - it's how big a battery you want or can fit). Only buy name brand cells - Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung, LG. Do not fall for the no name brands with cheap prices. They are ALL liars and the cells suck. Trust me on that one. Ebay is a great source for cells for prices down to around $1.50 each with around 2000 mah each. This is a smoking deal. I haven't built my own but I will have done so by spring '18. If you're in a hurry, better head over to Endless Sphere or YouTube for a while. I can't help you with real world results.
    K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without

Blog Entries
    Images

Plenty of info outthere if you look
    http://www.ebikeschool.com/how-to-bu...m-18650-cells/

Regards emma
    It can't rain all the time

I know that there is plenty of info out there, because I did look. However, I wanted information from anyone actually. using a homebuilt battery.

Willym, this is not so much about building a battery but check out Luna cycle, they seem to have good prices and are now into making batteries and potting them for durability

Blog Entries
    Images

I have built a few batteries using lipos and bms systems, unless you have a li-on battery spot welder it's a no go from the start , these batteries can be dangerous and need a bms to regulate charging .

later's Emma

I found this DYI Battery spot welder:https://youtu.be/o4NaDMoEHxU

There is a ton of building videos and explanations of how to. However I would be cautious in that you can be working with deadly currents and voltages if you build a big enough pack. So if your not understanding basic electricity I would avoid this project as you can be hurt if not killed from the shock. Even with D.C. battery voltage. Just takes the right conditions and path.

I'm comfortable working in this area - many years experience in the electrical industry, including operation of large batteries. I'm more inclined to go with the non-weld/non-solder connection systems like Vruzend at this time, but still have some reservations on how reliable the contact is between the cells and the connectors under bumpy ride conditions. A good BMS will be essential for safety and long battery life.

Blog Entries
    Images

Carry on , it is possible ,a lot of people have used second hand cells with good results on endless sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by darnthedog View Post
    I found this DYI Battery spot welder:https://youtu.be/o4NaDMoEHxU

There is a ton of building videos and explanations of how to. However I would be cautious in that you can be working with deadly currents and voltages if you build a big enough pack. So if your not understanding basic electricity I would avoid this project as you can be hurt if not killed from the shock. Even with D.C. battery voltage. Just takes the right conditions and path.
    Thanks. This seems to be better system than rewiring a microwave transformer.

Blog Entries
    Images

BMS battery have some bms pcd's and I found some 36v ones for a few pounds on the dreaded fleabay.

I just got a few for the last project, still have a couple left for the next one.

we use lipo batteries for our emergency get you home batteries with a bms , believe it's in my 20/20 thread.

Morning to all
    SEE website www.ebikeschool.com/how-to-build-a-diy-electric-bicycle-lithium-battery-from-18650-cells/ for his new book about building batteries for E-bikes
    Habits change habits. New habits are established by repeating the habit daily.

Look at the Endlesssphere forum. Look for Drbass posts. I have been using his konion cells to build my own battery packs for 5 years. Use caution, work and store batteries with ceramic tile or bricks to avoid danger. I built 3 x 14p 4s packs. I use a rc charger and charge the packs seperately. I only charge to 4.1v per battery and never discharge below 3.5v. I wire them in series for a 44 volt 21 ah battery. I use thin copper strips to solder my packs together. Beware of KFF!

What is KFF? I'm so terribly bad at acronyms...

Glad you asked - Kentucky Fried Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Eaton View Post
    Should beware of KFC also!

Look at the Endlesssphere forum. Look for Drbass posts. I have been using his konion cells to build my own battery packs for 5 years. Use caution, work and store batteries with ceramic tile or bricks to avoid danger. I built 3 x 14p 4s packs. I use a rc charger and charge the packs seperately. I only charge to 4.1v per battery and never discharge below 3.5v. I wire them in series for a 44 volt 21 ah battery. I use thin copper strips to solder my packs together. Beware of KFF!
    The ES forum was down for a few days, so I only visited it today. Thanks for the info on Doctor Bass. His threads have some good stuff.

I've had KFW - Kentucky Fried Wrist. Happened about 20 years ago. I used to wear a rugged metal watch religiously. One day I was under a truck torching something off with oxygen/acetylene and a big ol glob of molten metal, like lava, went right under the metal wristband of my watch. It felt like an eternity to get the the torch shut off and watch unbuckled to get it off, then pry the glob of now solid metal UP AND OFF of my wrist/arm bone, because the damn thing was quenched by my hide. I haven't worn a watch since and have a big old round scar the size of a penny or so now. KFW. I don't recommend it. lol